Aaron Curry Jr transferring to Sooner football team

usedtobe1

Administrator
Reaction score
Aaron Curry Jr (NOT) transferring to Sooner football team

Update 2 on 8/27/2014. OU decided to not give Curry a scholarship so he has transferred to TCU. From ESPN:

Former Nebraska defensive lineman Aaron Curry said Monday that he'll transfer to TCU. "Not only is it close to home but I like TCU's defense," Curry said. "I feel like I can fit in with it well. I've always wanted to play in the Big 12. I like the coaches and the players, and it's a great fit."

Update: I guess OU doesn't have a scholarship for Curry Jr and he won't be transferring to the Sooners after all.

------

The news is the OU football team is getting a DT transfer from Nebraska named Aaron Curry Jr. He's listed at 6'1" and 280 and started a bunch of games as a sophomore, and will redshirt next season and have 2 years left to play.

What does this have to do with basketball?

Some of you older fans might remember Aaron Curry Sr who played basketball under Dave Bliss back in the late 70's. His team won the Big 8 title in '79. Teammates included John McCullough, Cary Carrabine, Al Beal, and Terry Stotts (current Portland Trailblazer coach). He's actually in the 1000 point club and is currently the number 20 all-time sooner scorer.

Aaron Sr was 6'4" and kind of reminds me of Isaiah Cousins .... both physically and in style of play. He's scheduled to play in the alumni game this weekend.

20. AARON CURRY (1976-80) -- 1,237 POINTS

Member of the 1979 Big Eight champion Sooners ... Played in 110 career
games ... Averaged 15.1 points per game his senior year when he shot a
career-high .545 from the field ... A good shooter who sported a .500
career field goal percentage and .753 free throw mark ... Selected in
the third round (98th overall) of the 1980 NBA Draft by the New Jersey
Nets.

Last edited:
Yep, was just about to post this. I remember his dad very well. He was fun to watch back in the day.

I remember when he hit the halfcourt shot at Colorado at the buzzer which would have won the game but the officials ruled it was after the buzzer.

I remember him, too. Curry, Sr. was one heck of a player.

Too bad Junior is not a few inches taller. At 6' 1" 280, he definitely chose the right sport. :D

Wasn't there another Aaron Curry that played Sampson's first year as a head coach? Dude was firing it up the moment he crossed half court. Sometimes he would hit a few, but sometimes he wouldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Wasn't there another Aaron Curry that played Sampson's first year as a head coach? Dude was firing it up the moment he crossed half court. Sometimes he would hit a few, but sometimes he wouldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

That was Calvin "Radar" Curry. But yeah that dude was in range once he crossed half court. Would fire it up from anywhere.

Word now is OU may not have a scholarship for him, and if they don't he will likely go elsewhere. With OU's depth and athleticism on the defensive line, I would be surprised if he ever started but he could be part of the rotation. He's kind of small, but is a good kid. He evidently wants to be closer to home (Texas). Here's a bio on him from a Nebraska web site and it shows some athletic genes including the late Sooner Rod Shoate:

Personal

Aaron was born on June 12, 1994, and is the son of Aaron Sr. and Peggie Curry. The younger Curry is a psychology major. His community outreach activities have included Husker Heroes, Uplifting Athletes and local community rec center visits. Curry’s family has an athletic background. Aaron Curry Sr. played college basketball at Oklahoma. Curry is cousins on his mom’s side of the family with former Illinois and NFL standout and current BTN analyst Howard Griffith and former Oklahoma gridiron standout Rod Shoate.

That was Calvin "Radar" Curry. But yeah that dude was in range once he crossed half court. Would fire it up from anywhere.

He was fun to watch in warm ups. He could sink uncontested shots well outside of the NBA three point line. I am probably exaggerating but it seemed like he would launch 30 foot shots in pre game.

Back