addittion to LNC coming

BoulderSooner

Owner/Operator
Reaction score
addition to LNC coming

not the big reno that we all want but this should help recruiting

NORMAN -- The University of Oklahoma Board of Regents will meet later this week in Norman, and according to the final meeting agenda, the regents will consider a $7 million addition to Lloyd Noble Center.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-basketba...n-lloyd-noble-center-addition/article/5416480

the description from the regents site

Lloyd Noble Center Strength Training and Performance Center Addition consists of
an approximately 18,400 gross square foot addition to the south of the existing two
practice court gymnasiums used by the men’s and women’s basketball
programs. This addition will provide significantly improved strength training
facilities for both basketball programs as well as for student-athletes competing in
other OU athletics programs. As a part of the project, space for a Performance
Center also will be constructed to provide for performance equipment, testing and
assessment to help student-athletes improve overall athletic performance. The
estimated project cost is $7 million and will be provided by private donations and
other Athletics funds.

Last edited:
Re: addition to LNC coming

Good start. I bet they do more later. With some of the football stuff being pushed back a year or more, that will certainly push back anything "big" for basketball too.

so this pretty much throws out the chance the the arena will be moved

How many times are they going to add to the LNC or renovate it? Too many already. They continue to waste money on the facility. They need another one not to continue to upgrade this one.

We don't need a new one. I think in the next 5 years or so, you'll see a major project to revamp the inside, and that will be more than enough. Gotta get the football project completed first. That, and oil prices back up.

The easiest way to change it would be to lower the floor and reconfigure the seating which would allow a much bigger concourse and some othe amenities. I read that thaty couldnt be done because the water table would put too much pressure underneath. A few well point pumps would fix that and provice water.

yeah, Michigan had the same problem we had and got a company to re-invent the interior to a box shape with fans closer to the court. Have the same company come in and do the same for ours and it would look great.

yeah, Michigan had the same problem we had and got a company to re-invent the interior to a box shape with fans closer to the court. Have the same company come in and do the same for ours and it would look great.

I thought OU had contracted that same company to at least draw up some plans. Might be wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its my recollection that they were supposed to lower the floor in the last big remodel. When time came to do it, it was too complicated with too many things under the concrete floor is why they changed their minds.

They said that lowering the floor would take it under the permanent water level, and at that time did not have the technology or money to create the needed barriers.

The LNC location really isn't the bad. There is a lot of parking. It is easy to get to from the highway. It's pretty close to campus and they shuttles to it. Honestly, all it needs is the seating renovated and it'd be a pretty good venue.

The LNC location really isn't the bad. There is a lot of parking. It is easy to get to from the highway. It's pretty close to campus and they shuttles to it. Honestly, all it needs is the seating renovated and it'd be a pretty good venue.

Agreed. No need to change. Even if you build a brand new arena it will require renovation every few years. Just keep renovating the LNC.

Texas Tech built a 15,000 seat arena in 2000 and now they are doing $10 million in renovations and it got renamed from United Spirit Arena to United Supermarkets Arena.. And in a few more years they will do millions in more renovations... and millions in more renovations, etc.

Point is, Tech has an arena 25 years newer than OU and it's going through multimillion dollar renovations as well.

Are the new facilities going to be south of the practice gyms?

Yes.

Mn,

I tend to agree now that we are pot committed. Just fix the seating (including the shade of "red" ) and add a ribbon board and I won't complain anymore!

when the reno happens .. they will redo the seats and at a min add some suites (ala the maybe center) and maybe some club level ...

Agreed. No need to change. Even if you build a brand new arena it will require renovation every few years. Just keep renovating the LNC.

Texas Tech built a 15,000 seat arena in 2000 and now they are doing $10 million in renovations and it got renamed from United Spirit Arena to United Supermarkets Arena.. And in a few more years they will do millions in more renovations... and millions in more renovations, etc.

Point is, Tech has an arena 25 years newer than OU and it's going through multimillion dollar renovations as well.

Exactly. An arena never stops being a money sink. If you've got one with a pretty decent location that only needs some renovations, then that is what you should do. New stadiums are hugely expensive and generally not a major upgrade over a renovated stadium.

Like Bigtime said, adjust seats add some production like a ribbon board. Suites for big donors are also a good idea. The current venue can support that pretty well. Personally, I'd really like to see them find a way to get the student section closer to the court.

Exactly. An arena never stops being a money sink. If you've got one with a pretty decent location that only needs some renovations, then that is what you should do. New stadiums are hugely expensive and generally not a major upgrade over a renovated stadium.

Like Bigtime said, adjust seats add some production like a ribbon board. Suites for big donors are also a good idea. The current venue can support that pretty well. Personally, I'd really like to see them find a way to get the student section closer to the court.

I like the LNC... when I go to a basketball game at TU or OSU, I have to park miles away and walk to the stadium. When I go to a game in the LNC, I just pull in this massive parking lot and go watch the game.

For those who live in Tulsa, it's kind of like going to an ORU game. The Mabee Center and Lloyd Noble Center are kind of similar venues. Huge parking lot, easy to get in and out of, don't have to find some special place to park every time, etc.

mabee4.jpg

c506af8094c0546e40ad1e37c55d9bcd87b5121d.jpg-590x1000.png

Back