Any news on Cameron Clark or Michael Cobbins?

Sooner23

Reaction score
Anyone seen any updates on Clark lately with him talking about his list or future visits? Is he still confirmed to be at OU's camp this summer?

As for Cobbins, the more I watch his video the more I fall in love with his game. I've seen video of him and Luke Cothron, and I think I like Cobbins better. Am I crazy?

FWIW, they're both listed around the same height and weight per Rivals (6-8, 210). Cothron looks a little thicker, but Cobbins seems to be on another level as an athlete. At least after watching these vids......

Cobbins......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_o08TUKTzs[/ame]

Cothron.......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Gb8XiFU-Q[/ame]

Last edited:
Here's what Rivals said about Clark after the NBA camp last week. He was listed as "stock raiser" and is now ranked 99th nationally.

Cobbins certainly benefitted from the passing of Kendall Marshall, but Marshall's assist total also benefitted from the athletic finishes of Cobbins. He probably led the camp in dunks and also finished at a high rate when not dunking. A long and athletic , Cobbins also has a good feel for the game as a passer and can defend both on the perimeter and interior.

I would have to think that Clark's poor performance at the NBAPA camp couldn't have hurt our chances. It could have easily made teams like UK and Kansas back off a bit. I wish he would go ahead and commit soon so that we would have the core of the class (he and Taylor) sewn up.

I like Mike Cobbins a lot. He doesn't get a lot of pub out of Texas because he out in Amarillo, but he is so long and pretty athletic. I hope we land him.

OK, just read a Scout update on Cobbins and the good news is he's looking to decide in mid-August and sign in November. There's not a quote from him on who he likes, but the article said:

"Already he claims offers from Virginia, Indiana, Oklahoma State, Providence, Marquette and Georgia Tech, with interest also coming in from Oklahoma and Texas."

I hope we offer soon and bring him in for a visit. I would offer immediately just after watching that video, but that's me. :)

The more I think about his game, the more I see Ed Davis from North Carolina. Both are about 6-9, 210, have a long winspan, and are lefthanded. I actually think Cobbins has a better jumpshot though.

No, you're not crazy, Sooner23. I share your thoughts about Cobbins.

When I watch his videos I can't help but think that he has not even scratched the surface on his potential. He is super athletic and appears to have all of the tools to be a star at the college level someday. I hope OU sews him up before coaches from other schools figure that out. :)

No, you're not crazy, Sooner23. I share your thoughts about Cobbins.

When I watch his videos I can't help but think that he has not even scratched the surface on his potential. He is super athletic and appears to have all of the tools to be a star at the college level someday. I hope OU sews him up before coaches from other schools figure that out. :)

Seriously. Looks like AJ needs to get the Palo Duro hookup going! :austin686_jpg_xs:

The film of Cothron doesn't really reflect the type of player he is. I saw him play a couple of times this summer and he's really a Patrick Patterson clone. He'll come in from day one and atleast rebound on a college level and is more able to hold his position on the blocks. Cobbins may have the higher upside and is a little more athletic, but Cothron is a day one 10 and 7rbs guy where Cobbins may be a 20 minutes per game low average freshman.

Nice find. Thanks.

3. Cameron Clark, 2010, (Sherman, Texas) While Byrd and Alexander stroke it from deep as well as anyone, Clark is the king of the midrange jumper. He makes a difference with the dribble pull-up and off the catch -- he is a high percentage shooter from 12 to 17 feet. He sets up his defender with a shot fake or does a good job using the jab step. He has what most players need offensively but could extend his range to the 3-point line.

Terrence Jones

1. Terrence Jones, 2010, (Portland, Ore./Jefferson) This lefty is a physical specimen who drives the ball with explosive strength and overpowers defenders on his way to the basket. A good percentage of his points come from the free throw line because he is so strong and attacks the basket on the drive and from the post. Jones finishes through contact well and finds himself at the foul line frequently. To elevate his game to another level we'd like to see him refine his perimeter shooting ability and weak-hand drives

Meyer was asked about Cobbins today:

Very impressive prospect. Great feet, hands, length, motor and feel for the game. Just needs to get stronger and refine things. Schools like Virginia, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State all feel they have a chance. Texas and/or Oklahoma will be tough to beat if they offer because of former players from his high school having played at those schools.

Go get him, Capel! :jcapel

Cobbins was at OSU's camp a couple of weeks ago. He and Markel Brown were the talk of the camp. Ford wants him badly.

Cobbins was at OSU's camp a couple of weeks ago. He and Markel Brown were the talk of the camp. Ford wants him badly.

Props to Ford for getting in on him early. He's gonna be a great get for someone.

There is a good interview with James on the ouinsider board. Very positive.:clap

There is a good interview with James on the ouinsider board. Very positive.:clap

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's the next OU commit. Man, I would love to round this class out with Clark and Washburn. If we add another big or PG, that would be gravy.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's the next OU commit. Man, I would love to round this class out with Clark and Washburn. If we add another big or PG, that would be gravy.

That would be sweet. Are you hearing something new on Washburn or just hoping? As for Hale's interview, things sound good but I'm trying not to get my hopes up because he didn't ask Cobbins specifically about any of the other schools. It's good to see we've offered though and that AJ is helping us out.

Last edited:
That would be sweet. Are you hearing something new on Washburn or just hoping? As for Hale's interview, things sound good but I'm trying not to get my hopes up because he didn't ask Cobbins specifically about any of the other schools. It's good to see we've offered though and that AJ is helping us out.

I haven't heard anything on Washburn. However, the fact that Texas hasn't offered and OSU picked up two wings makes things easier for OU if they want to pursue him full speed. OU can present TAylor as a PG if they choose to go after two wings. I suspect OU will get two wings. As for Cobbins, it's just a hunch. I do think that it would be rather easy to recruit against OSU with him. Although he is a lean post player, he wants to go to a system that goes to the post.

Cobbins is apparently coming to the OU Elite camp on August 22nd. Hopefully we can lock him up then or shortly after.

Cobbins is apparently coming to the OU Elite camp on August 22nd. Hopefully we can lock him up then or shortly after.

I have a feeling we may see several guys pull the trigger after the elite camp. The hope now is to keep them from going other places before our camp....

I know this has been posted before, but does anyone know who is exactly slated to come in for that camp? Pressey and Clark?

Back