At least Capel is not crying

I wonder if this means that UNC basketball is "going into the toilet" and Roy is an "empty suit". According to some of our fans, that would be the case.

UNC has SEVEN Burger Boys on their roster.

Exactly the reason why I put that link up. We have 3. All the talent in the world sometimes just doesn't overcome inexperience. Even at UNC. Both UNC and OU will be vastly improved next year. They just have to grow up a bit.

Exactly the reason why I put that link up. We have 3. All the talent in the world sometimes just doesn't overcome inexperience. Even at UNC. Both UNC and OU will be vastly improved next year. They just have to grow up a bit.

I agree. The last 6 years or so, the champion has been a team with a ton of upperclassman leadership with some young stars sprinkled in. Cannot underestimate upperclassmen....ones with skills obviously.

I agree. The last 6 years or so, the champion has been a team with a ton of upperclassman leadership with some young stars sprinkled in. Cannot underestimate upperclassmen....ones with skills obviously.

We won't have that next year either.

And the following year, if Tiny were to leave, we'd only have TMG and Pledger.

So either something is going to give with this experience argument, or we are going to be pretty mediocre for the next 2 years.

The reason Williams and UNC aren't overreacting is b/c they have a proven track record. They've had years where they were young, or inexperienced, and still made the Dance. Not a great comparison anyways, b/c of how they recruit compared to OU.

I couldn't agree more with you. :clap

They year Hansburough was a freshman they had a really young team and didn't lose like this.

So either something is going to give with this experience argument, or we are going to be pretty mediocre for the next 2 years.

The reason Williams and UNC aren't overreacting is b/c they have a proven track record. They've had years where they were young, or inexperienced, and still made the Dance. Not a great comparison anyways, b/c of how they recruit compared to OU.

I have a ? for you. Do we make the NCAA Tournament next year? If you say yes to that ? I would assume that you think we have made progress. I think we do and I dont think that means we are "mediocre" as you have stated.

Oops I cut off my post early. sorry. Anyway, the reason I ask is you post mainly negative things about this team. I posted this b/c I wanted the naysayers to realize that even UNC can have the same problems we are having. I really think we should have faith in the process and let it run its course. I'm not saying you cant have your opinions but at some point all negative all the time seems counter-productive to me.

Last edited:
Depends on who we bring in during the spring period, going to need some impact players who are ready to step up.

My way-too-early prediction is to say that we will make the tourney next year, but one of the lower ranked at-large teams. Will benefit from a slightly weaker Big XII conference.

Our "core" for next year looks OK: Tiny, Fitz, Honore and Orlando in the post and TMG, Pledger, Willis and Davis on the perimeter. If Clark and Taylor can play that would be a bonus. In any event, they won't have to play for us to be decent.

I believe that if our team, as it is currently playing, could start non-conference play today, our record would be 3-4 games better than it is. In other words, given the experiance and improvement gained from the rest of this season, the off season and another fall preseason camp, that we would be markedly better next year with only the players we have now. Unlike this year, I don't think Clark and Taylor will have to start and play key roles and can be allowed to develop and compete naturally and not sooner than their ready. Of course, if we could pick up another 2-3 kids that can play, that would assist as well.

If, for reasons unknown, we were to lose TMG, Tiny and Orlando by next year, then we would really need to pick up some kids in the next signing period or we could be worse next year. On the other hand, if everyone, including WW, that is eligible to return -- returns, I think we will be improved. How improved is the question.

I have a ? for you. Do we make the NCAA Tournament next year? If you say yes to that ? I would assume that you think we have made progress. I think we do and I dont think that means we are "mediocre" as you have stated.

I don't know. Maybe. Like was mentioned above, probably depends on who else we bring in. If Willie goes pro, and we don't sign anybody else (longshot, I know), I'm not positive we're Dancing next year.

I posted this b/c I wanted the naysayers to realize that even UNC can have the same problems we are having. I really think we should have faith in the process and let it run its course.

Naysayers? Nobody is saying 100% that Capel is a failure, and that he sucks. Even if this is the best he ever gets as a coach, he'll get us back to the Dance. That doesn't mean he's "done his job", however. We don't have the same problem UNC has. And UNC isn't as young as alot of folks are leading on. They are just having a bad year. If I knew this was just a "bad year" for OU, I'd shut my mouth. But we don't know that. We still have no idea what Capel is bringing to the table, b/c for the first time, there aren't any excuses or best players in the game to blame, or mask problems. That is why I say next year is very telling. Capel needs to do everything he can to get the ship righted. I won't suggest anything "infinite" until next year plays out. At that point, I think we'll have seen enough to be able to accurately evaluate things.

Well, that is the thing....will Tiny stay. If he does, it sets up quite nicely for a big time run in 2 years.

I think we'll still lack experience next year. Hopefully we have a better team though. Right now there's just oo much disconnect from this team. I think WW is going pro maybe he'll be addition by subtraction type thing. We didn't play that good without him last year when Blake was hurt. I think we went 1-2 in 3 games granted we played KU and Texas and lost badly in both games, but we weren't really competitive in both of those games.

I think we'll still lack experience next year. Hopefully we have a better team though. Right now there's just oo much disconnect from this team. I think WW is going pro maybe he'll be addition by subtraction type thing. We didn't play that good without him last year when Blake was hurt. I think we went 1-2 in 3 games granted we played KU and Texas and lost badly in both games, but we weren't really competitive in both of those games.

OU wasn't competitive in either of those games last year?

In the Texas game, OU was down 68-69 to Texas with 42 seconds left
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=290520251

In the KU game, OU was down big and then made a run in the 2nd half, cutting it down to a 3 point game with 3 minutes to go. OU ran out of gas and Sherron Collins took over the final 3 minutes.

But yeah, neither game was "competitive"

OU basketball is having its worst season in 30 years and has shown little improvement this season. I don't see how OU makes the tourney next season with the current players and players already signed. OU needs a couple post players and a point to back up TMG. The only good thing from this season has been TMG.

I don't know. Maybe. Like was mentioned above, probably depends on who else we bring in. If Willie goes pro, and we don't sign anybody else (longshot, I know), I'm not positive we're Dancing next year.

Naysayers? Nobody is saying 100% that Capel is a failure, and that he sucks. Even if this is the best he ever gets as a coach, he'll get us back to the Dance. That doesn't mean he's "done his job", however. We don't have the same problem UNC has. And UNC isn't as young as alot of folks are leading on. They are just having a bad year. If I knew this was just a "bad year" for OU, I'd shut my mouth. But we don't know that. We still have no idea what Capel is bringing to the table, b/c for the first time, there aren't any excuses or best players in the game to blame, or mask problems. That is why I say next year is very telling. Capel needs to do everything he can to get the ship righted. I won't suggest anything "infinite" until next year plays out. At that point, I think we'll have seen enough to be able to accurately evaluate things.

I completely agree that next year is a HUGE(and thats still an understatement) for not only Capel but the program. But I trust him and I expect he will help TMG to be all Big XII next year and Tiny to be dramatically improved. If that happens, we will be just fine for the future.

But I trust him

That statement right there is the main point that splits the fan base on this site. IMO, and this is just my opinion, Capel hasn't done anything while at OU to make me just "feel" like things are going to be okay. And by okay, I mean we'll start a long streak of not missing the NCAA next year. I think some of the fans either see something that gives then that faith in Capel, or blindly follow him b/c he is OU's head coach. And some of the fans need Capel to prove himself before we'll write off a season like this as a one-time deal.

Neither side is right, or wrong. Just a difference.

I wonder if this means that UNC basketball is "going into the toilet" and Roy is an "empty suit". According to some of our fans, that would be the case.

Not really an apples-to-apples comparison there.

Roy has shown that he can win at a high level at different schools with many different groups of players.

Capel has shown, so far, that he can win at a high level when Blake Griffin is on the roster.

That's the difference.

For the record, I like Capel and think he will do a good job, I just don't like this comparsion.

That statement right there is the main point that splits the fan base on this site. IMO, and this is just my opinion, Capel hasn't done anything while at OU to make me just "feel" like things are going to be okay. And by okay, I mean we'll start a long streak of not missing the NCAA next year. I think some of the fans either see something that gives then that faith in Capel, or blindly follow him b/c he is OU's head coach. And some of the fans need Capel to prove himself before we'll write off a season like this as a one-time deal.

Neither side is right, or wrong. Just a difference.

Excellent summary/observation.

Back