Bedlam women's basketball at 8 pm Monday

Don’t forget Joyner Holmes! She may be the biggest bust in #1 ranked players coming out of high school.

No question that Holmes has not had the career anticipated but the primary reason has been injury. She was the Big 12 Freshman of the Year and first team All Conference in 2017 before her injury and to date has not been able to recover to her pre-injury level of play.

She still has a year of eligibility left. Let's wait until after her senior to label her career. But I will never consider it a bust. Just as I don't consider Maddie Manning's career a bust even though injury kept her from coming close to achieving what was anticipated becoming only a honorable mention all conference player.

Injury unfortunately ruins a lot of careers.

Sherri has said that Tatum is very close to being a freshman that gets it. As of about two weeks ago, she was as high on Tatum as any of the freshmen. We don't really know what a summer will bring. With the three newcomers, I don't expect a lot to remain the same.

Right now, I see three definitive starters: Ana, Madi, and Nydia. I see Tatum and Jessi as in a rotation with neither having a clear advantage yet. I think Taylor is a key person off the bench when it is all together. I don't yet know where to fit Bloom, Gregory, Scott, Williston, and Mandy, although I think Mandy is a b ench-warmer next year, coming on in support.

That completely ignores how much better Jessi is playing - on many levels than TV. It does not make sense to ignore play on the court.

Obviously SC has recognized it - and all of us need to do the same. Could that change - and TV get much better by next year? Sure. At that point your value of them being the same might be reasonable - but not at this point. It is really being unfair to Jessi. And ignores her hard work and improvement. I wish 2 or 3 others had improved as much.

I will admit I did not expect Jessi to do so much better than TV, but it is what it is.

That completely ignores how much better Jessi is playing - on many levels than TV. It does not make sense to ignore play on the court.

Obviously SC has recognized it - and all of us need to do the same. Could that change - and TV get much better by next year? Sure. At that point your value of them being the same might be reasonable - but not at this point. It is really being unfair to Jessi. And ignores her hard work and improvement. I wish 2 or 3 others had improved as much.

I will admit I did not expect Jessi to do so much better than TV, but it is what it is.
I think we are talking about different things. I do not see Nydia as a starter ----at this time. When this team grows up, I do see her as a starter or serious contender.

I see different things in Jessi and Tatum. Right now, Jessi provides an advantage to our current situation.. But, right now, we are a 4-12 conference team. We need Jessi as a scoring point. Tatum seems to be less of a scorer. But, there have been times that she looks like a better floor general, capable of making better entry passes.

Now, if we have Bloom, Gabby, Liz, Madi, and Ana providing scoring, that takes the pressure off of the floor general to be a scorer. My favorite PG among the men in recent years was Quannas White who wasn't a scorer. But, he ran the floor. He had others who could score.

So, when the team grows up, I haven't seen the Jessi or Tatum that will emerge to fit with the team that emerges. It is interesting that Jessi has been the one to fit with what we have now since only two weeks ago, Sherri said at the barbecue show that Tatum would be the most likely freshman to emerge this year. She was the closest. But, the two weeks following that statement told a different story. We're still in chapter one.

Tatum was not a top 100 recruit by Hoopgurlz. Obviously the were more accurate in their assessment on Tatum. But Hoopgurlz had Madi ranked as the #24 recruit and I don't see that either. However Prospect Nation ranked Madi at #8 and that is massive wrong as well. Unless Madi and Tatum's play is a result of their environment moreso than their skill set.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2018

https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2018

I think it's crazy Decosta was #2 and doesn't even get PT at Baylor. I was very excited and scared to see how much damage she would do against us. Granted she's on the #1 team in the country, but still, I wonder if she will transfer out for more PT or be patient and wait her turn??

Back