Big 12 predictions

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Now that the dust is settling with the guys staying/leaving/transfering (for the most part) how are your preseason rankings shaping up? My sleeper in the league this year is Kansas State.

Texas (gets KU at home)
Kansas
Oklahoma
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
A&M
Mizzou (flip A&M and Mizzou if Famous stays put)
Baylor
Neb (I am having a tough time deciding on whether Neb should be ahead of Baylor)
CU (I am giving the Bzlekdiidgh lovers the benefit of the doubt here, but really the last three are trash, so who cares?)
Tech
ISU

KU
UT
OSU
OU
KState
TAMu
TT
Mizzou
Nebraska
BU
ISU
CU

KU
UT
OSU
OU
KState
TAMu
TT
Mizzou
Nebraska
BU
ISU
CU

A lot of love for Tech and not a lot for Baylor! I think that Baylor will actually become better by losing a couple of the ball hogs on their squad. They had too many selfish players.

Now that the dust is settling with the guys staying/leaving/transfering (for the most part) how are your preseason rankings shaping up? My sleeper in the league this year is Kansas State.

Texas (gets KU at home)
Kansas
Oklahoma
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
A&M
Mizzou (flip A&M and Mizzou if Famous stays put)
Baylor
Neb (I am having a tough time deciding on whether Neb should be ahead of Baylor)
CU (I am giving the Bzlekdiidgh lovers the benefit of the doubt here, but really the last three are trash, so who cares?)
Tech
ISU

BT, this is about how I would rank them. If we happen to get KJ qualified, I like the 3 spot that DM places OSU. But we'll need to see how PG shakes out before I'll be confident at all.

KState is the team I'm most concerned about.

Texas seems like the team to beat, but I'm not sold on Jai Lucas as a "great" PG. IMO, he's over-hyped.

BT, this is about how I would rank them. If we happen to get KJ qualified, I like the 3 spot that DM places OSU. But we'll need to see how PG shakes out before I'll be confident at all.

KState is the team I'm most concerned about.

Texas seems like the team to beat, but I'm not sold on Jai Lucas as a "great" PG. IMO, he's over-hyped.

I didn't really watch any Texas games besides the two OSU ones, but Balbay didn't really impress me much. It seems like Lucas would be a step up from him.

I didn't really watch any Texas games besides the two OSU ones, but Balbay didn't really impress me much. It seems like Lucas would be a step up from him.

Absolutely agree. Balbay is probably the only reason OSU beat Texas this season. He couldn't shoot or penetrate. We sagged off of him and loaded the inside. Also, kept AJ covered like a glove and Texas couldn't play their game. I'm not saying Lucas isn't any good, just that he's overrated, IMO.

Based on today.

1.) Kansas
2.) Texas
3.) Kansas State
4.) Texas A&M
5.) Oklahoma
6.) Mizzou
7.) Oklahoma State
8.) Nebraska
9.) Colorado
10.) Texas Tech
11.) Baylor
12.) Iowa State

Its difficult to do this because 6-10 are usually only seperated by a game or two at the most, or a tiebreaker.

Based on today.

1.) Kansas
2.) Texas
3.) Kansas State
4.) Texas A&M
5.) Oklahoma
6.) Mizzou
7.) Oklahoma State
8.) Nebraska
9.) Colorado
10.) Texas Tech
11.) Baylor
12.) Iowa State

Its difficult to do this because 6-10 are usually only seperated by a game or two at the most, or a tiebreaker.

Please explain how you have A&M over us with Warren returning. I don't get that. I also don't get the Colorado over Baylor (or tech for that matter).

Absolutely agree. Balbay is probably the only reason OSU beat Texas this season. He couldn't shoot or penetrate. We sagged off of him and loaded the inside. Also, kept AJ covered like a glove and Texas couldn't play their game. I'm not saying Lucas isn't any good, just that he's overrated, IMO.

The interesting thing regarding Lucas is that he will have to wait until second semester to play. I don't understand Balbay. His shot looks good. I bet Rick tries to get him to shoot more next year.

The interesting thing regarding Lucas is that he will have to wait until second semester to play. I don't understand Balbay. His shot looks good. I bet Rick tries to get him to shoot more next year.

Balbay reminds me of Doug G, but without all the assists. I think his shooting is a mental thing as it was with Doug. According to Eddie, Doug could shoot fine in practice (even free throws), but put him in a game and he couldn't even hit 50% of his charity shots.

Please explain how you have A&M over us with Warren returning. I don't get that. I also don't get the Colorado over Baylor (or tech for that matter).

A&M has a veteran team returning, and OU is reloading with young talent. They return 4 good starters, and add a very nice recruiting class to it as well. They signed some good shooters, and return Elonu, Davis, and Loubeau in the post. They get a 7 footer out of redshirt, and add a couple of post guys from the recruiting class. In the backcourt they return Sloan, Roland, Walkup, Dash, and BJ Holmes. They signed 2-3 real nice players to the backcourt this year as well.

Baylor lost a lot from a team that finished 11th in the Big 12 last year. Yea, they return Lace and some others, but they have yet to show that they can win. They were loaded last year and sucked.

Tech should be good. They have a good point, good shooting guards, signed some juco small forwards, and have Singletary and Lewandowski in the post. But again, they shouldnt have been so awful this year.

Colorado has an Australian center coming in that Fran said is going to be a real nice player for CU. He is 6'11'' and is an excellent shooter, passer, and rebounder. They get Higgins and Thorne back who are legit guards, especially Higgins. Dufault and Tomlinson had nice freshman seasons and started every game (both will be significantly better next year). They signed a contributor in Aleks Burks at guard.

CU had to be the youngest team in the country last year, or one of the youngest. They were starting and playing freshman all over the place, and yet lost to K-State by 2 in OT, Kansas by 5 in Lawrence, Oklahoma by 5 in Norman, Nebraska by 2, to Texas in overtime, in Lincoln by 5, and to A&M by 6.

They were right there in several games, including ones against legit competition. Hell, all of the above mentioned teams were postseason teams.

Colorado will get better next year.

Shane Harris-Tunks

ESPN.com Eval:
Harris-Tunks is a true center with tremendous experience. He is widely considered the #1 center in Australia for the class of 2009. He is from the well known Australia Institute of Sport and will be a member of the World Championship team representing Australia in July. Harris-Tunks is very skilled and physical and his body is Big 12 ready. A good athlete that runs the floor well and can score on the low block with jump hooks using either hand. His shooting range is to the arc and can make a few threes with time and space. He has good hands, but has a tendency to be too unselfish in the post and over pass. He can step out to about 15 feet and does have a nice touch. At times he is foul prone becuase he's physical defensively. He is an excellent passer and can defend both post positions with his physical presence. Harris-Tunks will give Jeff Bzdelik a post presence to build around in Boulder.

abd, cu was 1-15. i know they had some weird close games, but 1-15 is 1-15. they had alot of close losses during bzz's 1st year. yet, they were 3-13.

aTm should be interesting. they will have a full roster.

question to sooner fans (you guys): who was more important, crocker or johnson?

hopefully ku will suck.

A&M has a veteran team returning, and OU is reloading with young talent. They return 4 good starters, and add a very nice recruiting class to it as well. They signed some good shooters, and return Elonu, Davis, and Loubeau in the post. They get a 7 footer out of redshirt, and add a couple of post guys from the recruiting class. In the backcourt they return Sloan, Roland, Walkup, Dash, and BJ Holmes. They signed 2-3 real nice players to the backcourt this year as well.

I guess I just don't hold Turg in very high regard as a coach. Losing Carter is going to hurt them, but you are right, in that they do have an awful lot of depth coming back. I am not a big fan of their recruiting class. Ray Turner is extremely overrated per the recruiting guy that I talk to in Texas. The Hibbert kid will give them some good shooting. I think they make the dance, but I don't think they will finish ahead of OU or OSU.

Baylor lost a lot from a team that finished 11th in the Big 12 last year. Yea, they return Lace and some others, but they have yet to show that they can win. They were loaded last year and sucked.

Too loaded....with ball hogs. I think that they have some talent coming in. Walton is the best player in Arkansas imo. I don't think they make the dance, but I think they are going to finish better than 11th.

Tech should be good. They have a good point, good shooting guards, signed some juco small forwards, and have Singletary and Lewandowski in the post. But again, they shouldnt have been so awful this year.

You may be on to something with Tech. You know I don't put much stock in JUCOs here of late, but Pat Knight really grew on me as a coach (maybe beating the gawks helped! :dance005:).

Colorado has an Australian center coming in that Fran said is going to be a real nice player for CU. He is 6'11'' and is an excellent shooter, passer, and rebounder. They get Higgins and Thorne back who are legit guards, especially Higgins. Dufault and Tomlinson had nice freshman seasons and started every game (both will be significantly better next year). They signed a contributor in Aleks Burks at guard.

CU had to be the youngest team in the country last year, or one of the youngest. They were starting and playing freshman all over the place, and yet lost to K-State by 2 in OT, Kansas by 5 in Lawrence, Oklahoma by 5 in Norman, Nebraska by 2, to Texas in overtime, in Lincoln by 5, and to A&M by 6.

They were right there in several games, including ones against legit competition. Hell, all of the above mentioned teams were postseason teams.

Colorado will get better next year.

Better? Yes. Still a bottom feeder? Oh heck yes. That being said, it sucks that we have to go there. It always seems to bring out the worst in us.

Good breakdown, mr abd.

abd, cu was 1-15. i know they had some weird close games, but 1-15 is 1-15. they had alot of close losses during bzz's 1st year. yet, they were 3-13.

aTm should be interesting. they will have a full roster.

question to sooner fans (you guys): who was more important, crocker or johnson? Overall? I would say Johnson. But Crocker provided more for this team than most will give him credit for.

hopefully ku will suck.

Dear God, please make KU suck. Amen.

Fatty, your team scares the crap out of me, and I am thankful you are coming to Normandy.

Fatty, your team scares the crap out of me, and I am thankful you are coming to Normandy.

should be another classic ou-ksu battle! the best rivalry in the country! :clap

get ready for the clemente dance :dance005:

should be another classic ou-ksu battle! the best rivalry in the country! :clap

get ready for the clemente dance :dance005:

:bigtime <---- This guy would go insane.

Hey fatty, remember when I used to send you hateful pms and you would respond with one word nonsensical replies (like grapefruit)? I was so naive.....*sigh*

Last edited:
A lot of love for Tech and not a lot for Baylor! I think that Baylor will actually become better by losing a couple of the ball hogs on their squad. They had too many selfish players.

Singletary and Roberson will be some of the better players at their position. Nick Okorie is going to be a good player and the Lewandowski kid will be better. Baylor loses Jerrels and Rogers and don't have better players returning.

They are in total rebuild mode, of course they lost a lot of games. Its not like I am picking them to win the conference, I have them 9th. They add some contributors to Higgins, Thorne, Tomlinson, and Dufault. They are going to be better.

I guess I just don't hold Turg in very high regard as a coach. Losing Carter is going to hurt them, but you are right, in that they do have an awful lot of depth coming back. I am not a big fan of their recruiting class. Ray Turner is extremely overrated per the recruiting guy that I talk to in Texas. The Hibbert kid will give them some good shooting. I think they make the dance, but I don't think they will finish ahead of OU or OSU.

Hibbert, Adams, and Middleton are going to be good players. They are going to be really tough in the post. They have 4 starters back from a pretty solid NCAA Tournament team.

Too loaded....with ball hogs. I think that they have some talent coming in. Walton is the best player in Arkansas imo. I don't think they make the dance, but I think they are going to finish better than 11th.

With those other ball hogs gone, look for Lace Dunn to take 25 shots a game next year.

Better? Yes. Still a bottom feeder? Oh heck yes. That being said, it sucks that we have to go there. It always seems to bring out the worst in us.

9th does not make you a good team. I have them finishing a few spots ahead of last year, because I think they will get better and I think Bzdelik is a good coach. The Australian and guard from Missouri are supposed to be legit. Higgins, Thorne, and Dufault are good players. The point guard Tomlinson started every game last year, he should be a little better next year.

Man, it's going to be a dogfight between OU, OSU, A&M, Missouri and Kansas State for third place. Good thing for us is we get Missouri and Kansas State at home this year. Then you've got Tech and Baylor, who won't be shabby either. Gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out. Can't wait.

Back