Bob Huggins lands #1 juco player in Texas... No OU interest

thebigabd

Reaction score
Taz Sherman... 6'4'' 190... Collin County CC in Texas. 3 hours away from Norman... Chooses WVU over Texas Tech, OSU, Cincy, Utah, and a few others.

OU doesn't need 6'4'' guards who shoot 40% from the 3pt line, 87% from the foul line, etc. Might as well not even offer them. No need.

Sherman was recently named a National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division I Second Team All-American. He scored 25.9 points per game, finishing fourth for most points overall in NJCAA Division I.

"Taz adds tremendous athleticism to the guard position," Huggins said. "He is very fast with the ball. His quickness and length will be welcomed as we reintroduce Press Virginia."

Sherman finished 15th in field goals made and 14th in free throw percentage at 87.5 percent. He contributed 4.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game, while shooting 49.0 percent from the field and 39.9 percent from 3-point range. Sherman set six Collin College records during his career.

This past season, Sherman scored 47 points in the win at Grayson College, 46 points in the win against Ranger College and 43 points in the win against East Texas Baptist JV. He scored double figures in every game that he played in.

Dang, What is wrong with Huggins? Huggins and WVU missed out on this JUCO shooting guard ...

Alondes Williams (6-5; 220, G) ... Milwaukee, Wisconsin / Triton College
https://247sports.com/Player/Alondes-Williams-46058997/

Scouting Report
Evaluated 11/09/2018
Jerry Meyer, Director of Basketball Scouting
Projection: Power-5 Starter
Comparison: Allerik Freeman; N.C. State Wolfpack

Evaluation: Great build for a shooting guard. Has height and strength. Can create his own shot. Shoots it well off the dribble and can hit from deep. Has penchant for the fancy pass. Defends and rebounds his position. Solid and athletic player.
Athletic Background

Alondes Williams is a 6-5, 220-pound Shooting Guard from River Grove, IL. He has committed to Oklahoma Sooners.

If he ends up being half the player Torres was at WSU last season . . . well, that would mean he would shoot 5% from three, so we really would be missing out.

Taz Sherman... 6'4'' 190... Collin County CC in Texas. 3 hours away from Norman... Chooses WVU over Texas Tech, OSU, Cincy, Utah, and a few others.

OU doesn't need 6'4'' guards who shoot 40% from the 3pt line, 87% from the foul line, etc. Might as well not even offer them. No need.

Sherman was recently named a National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division I Second Team All-American. He scored 25.9 points per game, finishing fourth for most points overall in NJCAA Division I.

"Taz adds tremendous athleticism to the guard position," Huggins said. "He is very fast with the ball. His quickness and length will be welcomed as we reintroduce Press Virginia."

Sherman finished 15th in field goals made and 14th in free throw percentage at 87.5 percent. He contributed 4.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game, while shooting 49.0 percent from the field and 39.9 percent from 3-point range. Sherman set six Collin College records during his career.

This past season, Sherman scored 47 points in the win at Grayson College, 46 points in the win against Ranger College and 43 points in the win against East Texas Baptist JV. He scored double figures in every game that he played in.

Would love to have another kid like this next year. Let Harmon, JB, Williams, Reaves, and this kid fight for minutes at the 1-3 spots. That guard roster would look a lot more like the guard rosters for some of the teams that had success in the Big 12 this year, and the teams that won multiple games in the NCAA Tournament. Guards win games!

Alondes Williams is ranked higher than Sherman. Also Sherman wasn't selected to the JUCO all star game, which Williams was. Williams is also closer to WVU, can't believe they missed out on that kid.

Ill take Gilder from Texas AM over this guy

Bienemy and Williams might be a dynamic guard set if Williams is as good as he looks. Bienemy is going to be all conference

Bienemy and Williams might be a dynamic guard set if Williams is as good as he looks. Bienemy is going to be all conference

Interesting that you omit Reaves and Harmon in assessing how good our guard play will be. Some people seem to want to pretend that Reaves isn't on the team, let alone one of the two best players.

Maybe Sherman didn't have any interest in going to OU just to battle with Harmon, Reaves, Bienemy and Williams for playing time.

OP, so this post is an "attempt" to bash LK's top 15 recruiting class because he didn't recruit a nice SG that is only 3 hours away?? Even though we signed Harmon, Williams (talented juco SG) and have the transfer Reeves who can light it up.!

GAFL. Wasn't lazenby a juco AA from close by?? This isn't 1990. Being the #1 rated juco player isn't what it used to be!! No more Larry Johnson's or blaylocks in juco ranks like there used to be.

Interesting that you omit Reaves and Harmon in assessing how good our guard play will be. Some people seem to want to pretend that Reaves isn't on the team, let alone one of the two best players.

Bienemy and Williams being the non-point guards in the starting rotation.. I figured Reaves is a shooter off the bench. I didn't omit Harmon, he is starting from day one but we were talking 2 guards.

OP, so this post is an "attempt" to bash LK's top 15 recruiting class because he didn't recruit a nice SG that is only 3 hours away?? Even though we signed Harmon, Williams (talented juco SG) and have the transfer Reeves who can light it up.!

GAFL. Wasn't lazenby a juco AA from close by?? This isn't 1990. Being the #1 rated juco player isn't what it used to be!! No more Larry Johnson's or blaylocks in juco ranks like there used to be.

OU only has 4 guards on the entire roster that I am aware of... Bienemy, Harmon, Reaves, and Williams. Seems like you might care to try and get players who can help you and play next year.

Am I missing someone? OU has 4 guards, right? If I am wrong on that, my bad.

Kuath, Polla, Doolittle, Manek, Hill, Iwuakor, Garang, Merritt at the "3/4/5" spots...

Thats an oddly constructed team. Do most teams have 7 or 8 post players and 4 guards? At least OU's guys are versatile. Seems like you can get away with any of those guys handling the ball, so thats not an issue.

Last edited:
OU only has 4 guards on the entire roster that I am aware of... Bienemy, Harmon, Reaves, and Williams. Seems like you might care to try and get players who can help you and play next year.

Am I missing someone? OU has 4 guards, right? If I am wrong on that, my bad.

Kuath, Polla, Doolittle, Manek, Hill, Iwuakor, Garang, Merritt at the "3/4/5" spots...

Thats an oddly constructed team. Do most teams have 7 or 8 post players and 4 guards? At least OU's guys are versatile. Seems like you can get away with any of those guys handling the ball, so thats not an issue.

I think you can see Manek or Doo slide out to the three - if needed in a pinch or if they try to play "big" occasionally

Bienemy and Williams being the non-point guards in the starting rotation.. I figured Reaves is a shooter off the bench. I didn't omit Harmon, he is starting from day one but we were talking 2 guards.

I see no scenario in which Reaves isn't starting, but as I have said before, I'd love to be wrong because that would basically mean we have the best backcourt in America.

I see no scenario in which Reaves isn't starting, but as I have said before, I'd love to be wrong because that would basically mean we have the best backcourt in America.

I think harmon jb and reaves all start or JB goes to the bench. Not a bad problem

That's absurd... Not the Reaves part, that is a fine opinion, but if Reaves (who averaged 5ppg against high level opponents at Wichita State) doesn't start that certainly is not an indication that OU has the best backcourt in America.

Harmon has never played college basketball before, neither has Williams, Reaves averaged 5ppg against high level opponents at Wichita State... Bienemy is the goods, that is the only thing we really know.

That's absurd... Not the Reaves part, that is a fine opinion, but if Reaves (who averaged 5ppg against high level opponents at Wichita State) doesn't start that certainly is not an indication that OU has the best backcourt in America.

Harmon has never played college basketball before, neither has Williams, Reaves averaged 5ppg against high level opponents at Wichita State... Bienemy is the goods, that is the only thing we really know.

You're missing my point. I don't think for a second that we have the best backcourt in America, which is why I don't think there is any way Reaves isn't starting. And to suggest that we can't be every bit as confident in Reaves as JB is silly -- and I am the head of the JB fan club, as my posts throughout last season show. Reaves is more experienced, and more accomplished as both a scorer and shooter, than JB. Those are facts, not opinions. And turning to the subjective, we have heard a lot of reliable sources say that Reaves was the best player, certainly the best guard, on the roster last season. I love JB and think he is already well on his way to a great career -- I expect him to be an All Conference level guy for multiple years. But just because Reaves proved his chops while wearing another team's uniform doesn't make him an unknown quantity. It's not like Wichita State is a JUCO or a low major. They were a top 20-ish program while Reaves was there and played a lot of high level games.

Bottom line -- we already have four guards that our coaches clearly feel good about on the roster, and all of them will be around for at least two years barring transfers or something unexpected. We also have another couple guys who can play the wing if need be. Given that, I don't think it would have made a lot of sense for us to sign another JUCO guard who would also be around for two more years. It just doesn't seem like the best way to try to use that scholarship. If the A&M kid or some other really good grad transfer is available and would only tie up a scholly for one season, that might be a different story.

I just don't want this to be one of those days like..... OU went to Australia for Anyang Garang but wouldn't drive 2 hours for Sherman... Sherman may not pan out, but the WVU guys seem to think he's legit. Plus, I wouldn't doubt if there were other guys in the area in Texas, Iowa, Kansas, etc that pan out really well that OU didn't even offer... On a team that currently has 4 guards total.

Similar to..... OU went to Finland for Hannes Polla but wouldnt look at a a guy up the road at Hutchinson for Shak Juiston. No scholarship offer.

Similar to... OU went to New Zealand for Matt Freeman but didn't go up t he road to KU for a guy that was All Big 12 at TCU for 2 years at TCU... No scholarship offer.

Similar to... OU took a grad transfer from from Cal State Santa Eastern or whatever but didn't take Devonte Bandoo from Hutch... No scholarship offer.

This is my fear. :)

Back