Juco impact is strong at OU this year

Please mention the post-Sampson JUCO hits that compare to Trae, Blake, Buddy, etc., Mr Logic.

lol, if you are asking that question, you either completely missed my point, or you aren't very intelligent.

And don't confuse me with abd. I don't want a roster full of Juco's. I just want them to be a recruiting option when there are a) good ones that we identify, that could fill holes we may have, and may be easily recruited given their proximity, and b) maybe we miss out on our top tier HS kids, or aren't ever in on any top tier kids.

Nobody said don't recruit Buddy, Blake, or Trae, but instead of recruiting some of the failed recruits we recruited alongside those guys, maybe we could have supplemented their talents with an already ready JUCO, to take advantage of their (Blake and Trae) limited time on campus.

Ridiculous post. I don't believe there has been, or ever will be, a JUCO #1 draft pick or a D1 Player of the Year. You'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn't Larry Johnson go #1 overall? He may have been National POY as well.
He was definitely a JUCO...came down to OU and UNLV.

Didn't Larry Johnson go #1 overall? He may have been National POY as well.
He was definitely a JUCO...came down to OU and UNLV.

LOL. I suspected that was coming. I stand corrected.

If I was head coach at OU we would have the following roster this season:

PG: Alonzo Verge (6'2'' 170) - Pac12 6th man of the year in 2019 for Arizona State. Averaging 15 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists per game in first year out of junior college. Came out of Juco in Kansas with no OU interest or offer.

SG: Mason Jones (6'5'' 200) - National All-American and SEC 1st Team. SEC Player of the Year. JUCO TRANSFER from Connors State in OKLAHOMA. No interest or offer from Oklahoma. Currently playing at Arkansas.

SG: Taz Sherman (6'4'' 190) - Averaging 12 ppg on 50% 3pt shooting for a top 15 West Virginia team this year. JUCO TRANSFER from Collin College in the Dallas area. No interest or offer from Oklahoma.

PF: Brady Manek (6'9' 230) - All Big 12 player. Averaging 18 a game. From Harrah, OK.

PF: Kur Kuath (6'10'' 220) - Averaging 10 and 5 as a senior. Juco transfer from Utah

Bench:
SG - Alondes Williams (Juco transfer from Illinois)
SG - Trey Phipps (freshman from Booker T. Washington in Tulsa)
PG - Devion Harmon (sophomore from Denton, TX)
PF - James Rojas (Juco transfer from Kansas, currently at Alabama)
SF/PF - Trey Wade (Juco transfer from Texas, currently at Wichita State)
C - Emmanual Ugboh (7'0'' center, juco transfer, currently at Tulsa. Mop up player)

The following players would likely not be at OU under me:

Anyang Garang (I wouldn't recruit Australia)
Rick Issanza (I wouldn't recruit major projects to 4-5 year scholarships)
Elijah Harkless
Austin Reaves
Umoja Gibson
Josh O'Garro

Not because they aren't good, they just probably wouldn't have been recruited by me. They are plenty good, just not on my radar.

Local stars.... local junior college talent.. Go outside of that if/when I have to. We had All Pac 12, All-Americans, etc within a stones throw of campus the past couple of years and didn't even notice. But we noticed players in Australia.

Yep.

If OU wanted these players, it could have them. Don't tell me they wouldn't come to OU. Of course they would.

You have posted a ton of Jucos on here & most ended up being terrible. These are hand picked after the fact guys.

You have posted a ton of Jucos on here & most ended up being terrible. These are hand picked after the fact guys.

You mean like the WSU guard who ended up making 9 percent of his three point shots and then transferred down a level? :)

And don't confuse me with abd. I don't want a roster full of Juco's. I just want them to be a recruiting option when there are a) good ones that we identify, that could fill holes we may have, and may be easily recruited given their proximity, and b) maybe we miss out on our top tier HS kids, or aren't ever in on any top tier kids.

Nobody said don't recruit Buddy, Blake, or Trae, but instead of recruiting some of the failed recruits we recruited alongside those guys, maybe we could have supplemented their talents with an already ready JUCO, to take advantage of their (Blake and Trae) limited time on campus.

So you only want to recruit the HS and JUCOs that are hits, and avoid the ones that are misses? Brilliant.

So you only want to recruit the HS and JUCOs that are hits, and avoid the ones that are misses? Brilliant.

First of all.... Verge, Sherman, and Jones were known, and I mentioned them before I knew they were hits. Oh shucks, it turns out the guy in our own backyard turned into an AP ALL AMERICAN and the best player in a major conference. Darn it, oh well.

And I wouldn't call Ugboh and Rojas "hits"... I included them for exactly this reason... I would have recruited them but they are just backup, minutes/foul guys. Especially Ugboh. He's a two year Issanza.

But I'd rather have two years of Ugboh playing that role on scholarship than 5 years of Issanza playing that role on scholarship.

The other guys on the team fit the recruiting profile... Manek, Harmon, Phipps, etc are from the area.

This kind of roster is entirely realistic. I've been successfully demonstrating that for years.

If I was head coach at OU we would have the following roster this season:

PG: Alonzo Verge (6'2'' 170) - Pac12 6th man of the year in 2019 for Arizona State. Averaging 15 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists per game in first year out of junior college. Came out of Juco in Kansas with no OU interest or offer.

SG: Mason Jones (6'5'' 200) - National All-American and SEC 1st Team. SEC Player of the Year. JUCO TRANSFER from Connors State in OKLAHOMA. No interest or offer from Oklahoma. Currently playing at Arkansas.

SG: Taz Sherman (6'4'' 190) - Averaging 12 ppg on 50% 3pt shooting for a top 15 West Virginia team this year. JUCO TRANSFER from Collin College in the Dallas area. No interest or offer from Oklahoma.

PF: Brady Manek (6'9' 230) - All Big 12 player. Averaging 18 a game. From Harrah, OK.

PF: Kur Kuath (6'10'' 220) - Averaging 10 and 5 as a senior. Juco transfer from Utah

Bench:
SG - Alondes Williams (Juco transfer from Illinois)
SG - Trey Phipps (freshman from Booker T. Washington in Tulsa)
PG - Devion Harmon (sophomore from Denton, TX)
PF - James Rojas (Juco transfer from Kansas, currently at Alabama)
SF/PF - Trey Wade (Juco transfer from Texas, currently at Wichita State)
C - Emmanual Ugboh (7'0'' center, juco transfer, currently at Tulsa. Mop up player)

The following players would likely not be at OU under me:

Anyang Garang (I wouldn't recruit Australia)
Rick Issanza (I wouldn't recruit major projects to 4-5 year scholarships)
Elijah Harkless
Austin Reaves
Umoja Gibson
Josh O'Garro

Not because they aren't good, they just probably wouldn't have been recruited by me. They are plenty good, just not on my radar.

Local stars.... local junior college talent.. Go outside of that if/when I have to. We had All Pac 12, All-Americans, etc within a stones throw of campus the past couple of years and didn't even notice. But we noticed players in Australia.

Yep.

If OU wanted these players, it could have them. Don't tell me they wouldn't come to OU. Of course they would.

Mason jones had offers from arkansas and central arkansas.

Guess there are a lot of dumb coaches out there. He took 1 visit. and signed.

He is on a 2 way deal with the rockets. no longer on arkansas.

First of all.... Verge, Sherman, and Jones were known, and I mentioned them before I knew they were hits. Oh shucks, it turns out the guy in our own backyard turned into an AP ALL AMERICAN and the best player in a major conference. Darn it, oh well.

And I wouldn't call Ugboh and Rojas "hits"... I included them for exactly this reason... I would have recruited them but they are just backup, minutes/foul guys. Especially Ugboh. He's a two year Issanza.

But I'd rather have two years of Ugboh playing that role on scholarship than 5 years of Issanza playing that role on scholarship.

The other guys on the team fit the recruiting profile... Manek, Harmon, Phipps, etc are from the area.

This kind of roster is entirely realistic. I've been successfully demonstrating that for years.

My response was to WT, who believes we should only recruit good HS and JUCO players, and not the bad ones. I sent Lon a text to stop recruiting bad players, so now I think our program is fixed.

My response was to WT, who believes we should only recruit good HS and JUCO players, and not the bad ones. I sent Lon a text to stop recruiting bad players, so now I think our program is fixed.

You clearly don't read very well. If I were you, I'd quit trying to figure out what "WT believes", since you are clearly bad at it.

Mason jones had offers from arkansas and central arkansas.

Guess there are a lot of dumb coaches out there. He took 1 visit. and signed.

He is on a 2 way deal with the rockets. no longer on arkansas.

Right, and he was in OU's backyard.. Waiting for the first big program to offer him. OU wasn't even aware he existed.

This is negligence. It's not negligent that Dana Altman at Oregon didn't know about him. Because he wasn't playing basketball outside of Eugene, OR. If he was, it would be negligence.

OU wasn't even aware he existed.

Just one of innumerable statements you've made in your endless string of juco-themed jeremiads that you can't possibly know to be true.

Looks like someone's not getting enough attention at home.

Back