Depth chart

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
Justin Martinez has an article in the Oklahoman in which he predicts the lineup based on what he has seen so far. Unfortunately, I’m not a subscriber and the article is behind the pay wall. If anyone would be willing to summarize his thoughts, it would be interesting to see what he is projecting.

Here is his list minus his comments on each player. The most surprising thing to me is his revelation that Moser's son Jake is a 6'3" "sharp shooting" point guard who led his team to a 30-4 record his junior season at Loyola Academy and is now on the team. He did not indicate whether these orders meant anything in terms of position rankings, but it seemed that way for most positions.

Point Guard
1. Jordan Goldwire
2. Bijan Cortes
3. Alston Mason
4. Jake Moser

Shooting Guard
1.Umoja Gibson
2.Marvin Johnson
3.C.J. Noland
4.Blake Seacat

Small Forward
1.Elijah Harkless
2.Jacob Groves (notes he can also be a power forward)

Power Forward
1.Jalen Hill
2.Ethan Chargois (also possible 5 at times)
3.Akol Mawein (also possible 5 at times)

Center
1.Tanner Groves
2.Rick Issanza

My guess is 9-10 players play in non-conference weaker opponent games, and 7-8 play in conference & tougher non-con games.

1. Goldwire, Gibson, Mason
2. Gibson, Johnson, Noland
3. Harkless, Groves, Johnson
4. Hill, Chargois, J. Groves
5. T. Groves, Chargois, Issanza

The 8 I see getting the tough minutes:
1. Goldwire
2. Gibson
3. Harkless
4. Hill
5. T. Groves
6. J. Groves
7. Johnson
8. Chargois

Maybe Mason or Noland can take over Johnson by the end of the year. The others I don't see any change.

Here is his list minus his comments on each player. The most surprising thing to me is his revelation that Moser's son Jake is a 6'3" "sharp shooting" point guard who led his team to a 30-4 record his junior season at Loyola Academy and is now on the team. He did not indicate whether these orders meant anything in terms of position rankings, but it seemed that way for most positions.

Point Guard
1. Jordan Goldwire
2. Bijan Cortes
3. Alston Mason
4. Jake Moser

Shooting Guard
1.Umoja Gibson
2.Marvin Johnson
3.C.J. Noland
4.Blake Seacat

Small Forward
1.Elijah Harkless

Power Forward
1.Jalen Hill

Center
1.Tanner Groves
2.Rick Issanza

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Not far off from what I've posted I wanted the other day (just different at PF). I'm glad Gibson is getting a chance to start (hopefully). He'll have strong defenders around him, but he should bring shooting to the offense that they don't have elsewhere.

Odd that Hill is listed as a 4, and J. Groves a 3. Be interesting to see if Hill can hold onto that spot. I'm pretty high on J. Groves, Chargois, and Mawein. Also interesting that Cortes is listed second at pg, considering it's been said he has missed time, and we've heard a lot of good things about Mason.

Also interesting that Cortes is listed second at pg, considering it's been said he has missed time, and we've heard a lot of good things about Mason.

I definitely noticed that as well for the same reasons.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Not far off from what I've posted I wanted the other day (just different at PF). I'm glad Gibson is getting a chance to start (hopefully). He'll have strong defenders around him, but he should bring shooting to the offense that they don't have elsewhere.

Odd that Hill is listed as a 4, and J. Groves a 3. Be interesting to see if Hill can hold onto that spot. I'm pretty high on J. Groves, Chargois, and Mawein. Also interesting that Cortes is listed second at pg, considering it's been said he has missed time, and we've heard a lot of good things about Mason.

We assume that we'll have more of an inside presence this year than last and that should be putting a wide smile on his face.

Goldwire lack of shooting could be issue at some point. Don’t want to play 4-5.

It seems as if he's been good at finding his shot in the preseason (just based on the limited repoirts we've seen). Hopefully, he'll be a pleasant surprise in that regard.

I was worried about that too, until I realized he would have been our 3rd best three point shooter last year (percentage-wise). He's been at 35% and 33% the last two years. That isn't terrible. If he can get that up to maybe 37%, it shouldn't be an issue (hopefully).

I was worried about that too, until I realized he would have been our 3rd best three point shooter last year (percentage-wise). He's been at 35% and 33% the last two years. That isn't terrible. If he can get that up to maybe 37%, it shouldn't be an issue (hopefully).

Very true.

If, and I say a strong IF, MJ can stay outta the doghouse, I believe he will play a bigger part than most expect him to.....

If, and I say a strong IF, MJ can stay outta the doghouse, I believe he will play a bigger part than most expect him to.....

I think he’s out. Should have a good year. Don’t remember who said it but they said he was the best guy in transition we have game is made for transition.

I think he’s out. Should have a good year. Don’t remember who said it but they said he was the best guy in transition we have game is made for transition.

I do like that we’ve got some versatility on this team. Should be able to run in transition and play in the halfcourt with different lineups

Point Guard
1. Jordan Goldwire
2. Bijan Cortes
3. Alston Mason
4. Jake Moser

Shooting Guard
1.Umoja Gibson
2.Marvin Johnson
3.C.J. Noland
4.Blake Seacat

Small Forward
1.Elijah Harkless

Power Forward
1.Jalen Hill

Center
1.Tanner Groves
2.Rick Issanza

solid but i think you can flip Hill and Jacob Groves

We have a kid named Blake Seacat?

Haha!! You of all people don't know Blake Seacat??!!! He's one of those guys that seems like a "tweener" between a scholarship player and a walk on. He's definitely got some skill but probably not enough to ever be a real contributor.

1. Tanner Groves
2. Jordan Goldwire
3. Umoja Gibson
4. Elijah Harkless
5. Jalen Hill
6. Marvin Johnson
7. Jacob Groves
8. C.J. Noland
9. Ethan Chargois
13. Bijan Cortes

No order but have to think this is the 9 that plays a ton after exhibition games. Odd that I think all can play at some point. Bijan needs to get healthy but could RS.

Back