Dragan Sekelja- Baylor commit

DFWHoopster

Reaction score
I post this not to try and make this a Baylor board (DirtyMess) :) I thought ABD and others might find it of interest.

Croatia finished up the U18 European Championships this morning. They started 4-0 and then had some injuries to two of their starters that hobbled them the rest of the way. They lost their last 5 to finish 4-5.

Dragan (7'0" 250lbs) averaged:

23 min; 10.1 pts; 6.3 reb; 57% FG; 68% FT; 1 asst; 0.8 blks; 0.9 st; 4 fouls

A lot of the players playing in this competition are already playing in the pro leagues in Europe. A lot of them also played in the U19 World Championships last month.

Croatia had 5 players on this team play in the U19 World Championships where they lost to TeamUSA by 4 points.

My best guess is that this level of competition is equivalent to mid major division 1 basketball.

I am projecting Dragan's upside based on these numbers to be similar to Kavaliauskas at A&M a few years back. I thought he was an important part of A&M's success. But I would be surprised if Dragan is someone who logs heavy minutes for Baylor next year with Lomers, Udoh and Acy already in place.

Last edited:
Drew will coach him down so take his numbers in that competition and deduct 25% from them.

Drew will coach him down so take his numbers in that competition and deduct 25% from them.

Drew won't even notice the guy on the bench unless he walks around on his knees and throw up 25ft shots in practice.

This guy would be a perfect big man for Drew's system.
Dwayne-Schintzius-99884-652.jpg

Baylor's soon to be announced assistant coaching hire has six big men playing in the NBA currently that have been under his tutelage. But no worries mates. Keep holding to your delusions of Drew's coaching abilitities for a few more months until reality sets in.

So it is the unsubstantiated rumors that he pays players?

um...I heard that Doug Wojcik is paying players. Lets hate him.

Well how else did Wojcik get Uzoh and Jordan to stay at TU?

Baylor's soon to be announced assistant coaching hire has six big men playing in the NBA currently that have been under his tutelage. But no worries mates. Keep holding to your delusions of Drew's coaching abilitities for a few more months until reality sets in.

So, how does this guy's accomplishment's become Drew's?

So, how does this guy's accomplishment's become Drew's?

The posts above alluded to Drew not getting results from big men. A coaching hire of a proven developer of big men makes this less an issue going forward.

Cosmic Sooner- nice contibution to the topic. You must feel really good about yourself for saying that. I have to admit that I had to google what get bent meant since obviously I don't frequent the same "hot spots" that you do so I was unfamiliar with the alternative lingo.

BOK- I agree. I can understand hatred from A&M fans because there is a longstanding rivalry there and Baylor is 2-2 against them in recent years. But OU has dominated Baylor and isn't losing recruits to them. Why all the hatred? Makes no sense to me.

Baylor hired a PI to investigate all coaches after the tragedy 7 years ago. Drew was given stellar marks for doing things the right way. Would every coach in D1 welcome that kind of scrutiny? The guy can recruit. He does not pay players. False accusations are easy to make on an anonymous Internet board.

Last edited:
Shaking my newspaper in front of my monitor, wait for it wait for it....Who cares!!!!!

I do not understand the hatred for Scott Drew

I'll start hating him once he puts a winning streak on OU. Fact is he can't coach and whatever imaginary assistant probably can't coach either.

DirtyMess,

You HAVE to pick between Ford and Drew to coach your team for the next 5 years.

WHO do you pick?!

DFDub,

The "Dragan lair" might be alive and well at the Bear Pit. This league is going to be very tough next year. I can't wait for hoops season!

The posts above alluded to Drew not getting results from big men. A coaching hire of a proven developer of big men makes this less an issue going forward.

Still says nothing to the contrary of Drew's inability to coach bigs. You've even admitted Kevin Rogers didn't develop. Name me a big man Drew has produced please.

Keep holding to your delusions of Drew's coaching abilitities for a few more months until reality sets in.

Keep holding to the delusion that Drew's 6 years at Baylor in which he's failed to impress as a coach on the floor is all just bad luck or whatever you pawn it off as. Fact is Drew has a losing record as a D1 coach. He's had talent and had one good year at Baylor in '07-08. Again, I've said it over and over, if I'm Baylor I keep Scott Drew because the guy can flat out recruit but he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. At Baylor one out of two is all you're going to get. He's done a nice job at Baylor...doesn't change the fact he's not good as a coach on the floor. You keep saying "wait & see", great I've been waiting for awhile now and not seeing. The "just wait until next year" bold statement is what fans of loser teams say.

Still says nothing to the contrary of Drew's inability to coach bigs. You've even admitted Kevin Rogers didn't develop. Name me a big man Drew has produced please

Keep holding to the delusion that Drew's 6 years at Baylor in which he's failed to impress as a coach on the floor is all just bad luck or whatever you pawn it off as. Fact is Drew has a losing record as a D1 coach. He's had talent and had one good year at Baylor in '07-08. Again, I've said it over and over, if I'm Baylor I keep Scott Drew because the guy can flat out recruit but he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. At Baylor one out of two is all you're going to get. He's done a nice job at Baylor...doesn't change the fact he's not good as a coach on the floor. You keep saying "wait & see", great I've been waiting for awhile now and not seeing. The "just wait until next year" bold statement is what fans of loser teams say.

Kevin Rogers was a much better player last year than when he arrived at Baylor.

Are you really evaluating Drew's overall coaching ability based on what happened his first four seasons? He lost the three best players in the program- Lawrence Roberts, John Lucas and Kenny Taylor. He had to recruit to one of the most difficult situations in college basketball history- no tradition; average facilities (which are now much better); easy target for negative recruiting (you don't want to go there people die...), etc...

His talent did not get up to big 12 capability until two years ago. He could have gone the JUCO route I guess. But he was told to build a program the right way and he chose not to do the JUCO thing.

I think it is fair to criticize him for their conference record last year. Overall I would give him an A for recruiting and a B- for coaching only due to the disappointment of the conference season last year. If he has a losing season next year in conference, I think the heat will be turned up some.

But he has a lot of latitude with me. I think he has done a terrific job at Baylor and deserves to be there a long time. Obviously there are some on this board that don't agree and that is your right.

KU fans were calling for Bill Self's head two years ago before he won a national championship.

Back