Future of Moser

DePaul is a dumpster fire program and has been for 30 years, despite being in Chicago and surrounded by tons of bball talent.

Anyone calling for Hollis price, Q white, or K Kruger are either joking or completely lost. I love those guys and have nothing against them but none of them are worthy of being a head coach at OU.

I do like the idea of the guy from FAU. IF we are in the market for a new coach, we really need to get it right this time.

Indiana State, Colorado State, FAU are calls you would make. But anyone who thinks there is a sure thing when hiring a coach is being naive. That applies to guys coming from the mid major level, but even guys moving from one P5 school to another. You just never know how the coach will fit the culture, fan base, etc. But I do think you can look at a guy and see whether he has a good system, and as as AD, you then have to do your best to project whether it will work in your league. And of course, you try to figure out whether he will be able to recruit at the level you need in your conference.

Last edited:
Sounds like his wife isn't happy from reading through the post. How anyone would want to go from here to the Chicago area is wild.

In that case, here's what this insider says about the names on his list
Bryce Drew is a name that I had forgotten about. He was killing it at Valpo, then went to Vandy and struggled (understandably), and now is killing it again at Grand Canyon. Dude seems like he can coach and has a proven track record at the mid-major level, just needs to prove it at the P-6 level.

Sounds like his wife isn't happy from reading through the post. How anyone would want to go from here to the Chicago area is wild.
It certainly isn't for me, but a lot of folks out there love the big inner city, urban environment/lifestyle.

Bryce Drew is a name that I had forgotten about. He was killing it at Valpo, then went to Vandy and struggled (understandably), and now is killing it again at Grand Canyon. Dude seems like he can coach and has a proven track record at the mid-major level, just needs to prove it at the P-6 level.
OU would be a step down in fan support (because Grand Canyon has excellent fan support and elite student support). I think he is a guy who could work out, but I'm not sure how people would react when we hire a guy who failed at an SEC school as we head into the SEC.

OU would be a step down in fan support (because Grand Canyon has excellent fan support and elite student support). I think he is a guy who could work out, but I'm not sure how people would react when we hire a guy who failed at an SEC school as we head into the SEC.
I think many people barely consider Vandy an SEC school--more of an SEC afterthought.

I think many people barely consider Vandy an SEC school--more of an SEC afterthought.
Fair. Stallings had some decent success there, but fell flat on his face at Pitt. Maybe it just takes a unique coach to do well there--or maybe better put, a coach whose strengths are uniquely suited for the program.

DePaul is a dumpster fire program and has been for 30 years, despite being in Chicago and surrounded by tons of bball talent.

Anyone calling for Hollis price, Q white, or K Kruger are either joking or completely lost. I love those guys and have nothing against them but none of them are worthy of being a head coach at OU.

I do like the idea of the guy from FAU. IF we are in the market for a new coach, we really need to get it right this time.
My pause on DePaul is their AD. He hasn't done a great job IMO. Wouldn't be a guy I'd want to attach myself to, hypothetically. The MBB program has obviously fallen to an extremely low level and the WBB program is trending downward. Without football, those are the obvious breadwinners so to speak (in other words, I don't care if DePaul is having rowing success, lol).

Edit: DePaul doesn't have a rowing team. Just looked on their Athletics page. Oops, who cares, the point is...DePaul's AD is failing at the main sport.

But rumors are...DePaul is now serious when it comes to money. Supposedly, they have $2M secured for next year's NIL/bball team and are hoping to secure $1-2M more. And the other rumors have them increasing their HC salary (from $1.5 per to ?). I still don't see them being able to afford Moser if things remain the same ($6M buyout + Stubblefield buyout + new HC salary). We'll see what's true, I guess.

I get Chicago being home, and I'm a homer, but I'm not leaving OU for DePaul. Ohio State? Creighton (pretending they'd pay $4M per)? Notre Dame? Maybe, or even yes, to some/certain schools. Not DePaul. Not Saint Louis. Nah. There's an old saying we all know: the grass isn't always greener, etc. What's the point in being geographically happier if you fall several rungs down the career ladder? Possibly.

I agree with you on the same names always being floated out there. Kellen, Hollis, Quannas. I hope to God no one suggested Kruger (son). I didn't read the thread, though. UNLV is a mess and Kruger may not make it to next season. It's pretty damn obvious that Kevin doesn't = Lon. Kellen is the head coach in waiting at Houston. Hypothetically, let's say OU opens up. Do we not expect Houston to react? Lol. They'd probably nudge Kelvin into a basketball ceo role while elevating Kellen to HC. It's a fact that Kellen loves OU but Houston's current basketball support >>> OU's. Hiring Hollis and/or Quannas as HC isn't even a serious discussion. Let both get their HC feet wet somewhere else (mid major).

Dusty May is a hot name for sure....probably out of OU's league. Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan, whichever big program opens up, will be barking up that tree.

Last edited:
I want to reiterate... This is not a done deal. Buyout is roughly $6mil i was told.
Most of the programs being mentioned are mid major level that are paying their head guys 1-1.5M per. Yes they may be basketball only but football foots the bill for most of these bigger salaries.

They’re now going to have to pay Moser’s 6M buyout + commit another 3M a year to him ? That’s just such a huge number it makes me wonder how realistic this all is. I don’t doubt Moser wanting to go back to the Midwest but having a buyer at those numbers is a giant step.

Last edited:
Most of the programs being mentioned are mid major level programs that are paying their head guys 1-1.5M per. Yes they may be basketball only programs but football foots the bill for most of these bigger salaries.

They’re now going to have to pay Moser’s 6M buyout + commit another 3M a year to him ? That’s just such a huge number it makes me wonder how realistic this all is. I don’t doubt Moser wanting to go back to the Midwest but having a buyer at those numbers is a giant step.
There are people who will take a salary cut (especially when they're still making a $1mil+) to be where they (or their spouse) are happier.

Back