Future of Moser

Most of the programs being mentioned are mid major level programs that are paying their head guys 1-1.5M per. Yes they may be basketball only programs but football foots the bill for most of these bigger salaries.

They’re now going to have to pay Moser’s 6M buyout + commit another 3M a year to him ? That’s just such a huge number it makes me wonder how realistic this all is. I don’t doubt Moser wanting to go back to the Midwest but having a buyer at those numbers is a giant step.
Also could depend how our season ends. If it doesn't go well, and Joe is questioning whether PM is the answer, who knows, maybe he would be willing to reduce the buyout, thinking that any amount he can get is better than what would happen if we ended up firing him.

There are people who will take a salary cut (especially when they're still making a $1mil+) to be where they (or their spouse) are happier.

1M in Chicago doesn't go near as far as 1M in Norman. Not to say he wouldn't do it, as he shouldn't be wanting for money at this point, but that's a massive paycut.

1M in Chicago doesn't go near as far as 1M in Norman. Not to say he wouldn't do it, as he shouldn't be wanting for money at this point, but that's a massive paycut.

That’s like $500k take home after taxes in Chicago. His agent gotta be smarter than that.

i don’t think money is an issue for moser.

Last edited:
Also could depend how our season ends. If it doesn't go well, and Joe is questioning whether PM is the answer, who knows, maybe he would be willing to reduce the buyout, thinking that any amount he can get is better than what would happen if we ended up firing him.
Moser is three wins from having his best season as OU’s head coach. I realize you added two “what ifs” to how the season could end, but we both know Joe C is not going to fire the guy he brought in to lead our basketball program.

OU’s AD is a proud man who doesn’t like to admit he made a mistake. If there is any chance at all Porter can be successful here, Joe C will error in the other direction. Firing him is not an option!

Moser is three wins from having his best season as OU’s head coach. I realize you added two “what ifs” to how the season could end, but we both know Joe C is not going to fire the guy he brought in to lead our basketball program.

OU’s AD is a proud man who doesn’t like to admit he made a mistake. If there is any chance at all Porter can be successful here, Joe C will error in the other direction. Firing him is not an option!
He’s fired multiple coaches. He may not do it as quickly as some ADs, but to categorically say that he won’t fire a coach is silly.

He’s fired multiple coaches. He may not do it as quickly as some ADs, but to categorically say that he won’t fire a coach is silly.

@AdaSooner didnt say Joe wouldn’t fire a coach. There is plenty to suggest that Moser can still succeed here, so it would be silly to fire him now (not suggesting you are saying that). If they tank rest of the year and miss tourney again then perhaps. I still doubt it given the $6mil buyout.

Pete Hughes and Roselli were given ample time to get the program right but they couldn’t. Joe fired them at end of their contracts. Hughes missed the tourney 3 straight years for the first time in 40+ years if memory serves. Others who were fired had off the field issues.

Maybe the Pope steps up and pays the buyout. lol. Maybe DePaul finally has a wealthy donor(s) willing to pay for all this. IDK. The numbers don’t seem to add up to DePaul being able to swing this but I’m not thet familiar with them, just that they’ve never done it before, ever.

There are no guarantees with new hires but we have to do a better job of finding someone with a chip on their shoulder that can recruit and coach at this level. We also have to do a better job, everyone, at supporting the program. If we want to hire and keep a great coach, we need to support them in all areas.

Disagree

@AdaSooner didnt say Joe wouldn’t fire a coach. There is plenty to suggest that Moser can still succeed here, so it would be silly to fire him now (not suggesting you are saying that). If they tank rest of the year and miss tourney again then perhaps. I still doubt it given the $6mil buyout.

Pete Hughes and Roselli were given ample time to get the program right but they couldn’t. Joe fired them at end of their contracts. Hughes missed the tourney 3 straight years for the first time in 40+ years if memory serves. Others who were fired had off the field issues.
I mean, he specially said that he will not fire the coach he hired to run the basketball program and that firing Moser “is not an option,” so I don’t think I misquoted him.

I mean, he specially said that he will not fire the coach he hired to run the basketball program and that firing Moser “is not an option,” so I don’t think I misquoted him.

I believe what Ada meant was that Moser is not going to be fired at the end of THIS YEAR no matter what. No one has ever accused Joe C of having an itchy trigger finger. He hired and fired Jeff Capel. Despite the 2009-2010 season being the most under-performing team in men's hoops history (based on talent level), Joe C still gave him one more season to turn things around. He would do the same with Moser if things fell apart from this point forward.

I believe what Ada meant was that Moser is not going to be fired at the end of THIS YEAR no matter what. No one has ever accused Joe C of having an itchy trigger finger. He hired and fired Jeff Capel. Despite the 2009-2010 season being the most under-performing team in men's hoops history (based on talent level), Joe C still gave him one more season to turn things around. He would do the same with Moser if things fell apart from this point forward.
Exactly, WF!

I’m not Porter Moser’s biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination. Yet, if the bottom doesn’t fall out on our season in the weeks ahead, I think he deserves our support for another season. If he leaves on his own, I will wish him well. I’m darned sure not going to shed any tears!

Exactly, WF!

I’m not Porter Moser’s biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination. Yet, if the bottom doesn’t fall out on our season in the weeks ahead, I think he deserves our support for another season. If he leaves on his own, I will wish him well. I’m darned sure not going to shed any tears!
I might shed a tear if our entire roster turns over again.

It went from “fire Moser” to “we are losing him to Depaul”. Every coach we have gets that, wonder if other fan bases do this that much or just us lol.

Back