Future of Moser

Regardless of what happens with moser, I’m not sure what we can expect from OU basketball. With the limited resources we give the program, we will never be relevant again in this brave new world.

This goes way beyond a head coach. We need a new arena. We need a bigger NIL budget to compete against our peers. We need fans to show up Every home game. If moser leaves, who the hell would want the OU job knowing teams like tech, TCU, all SEC teams, etc have more resources and commitment to their programs.
Agree. Joe C needs to look hard in the mirror as to what he wants the basketball program to be. He hasn't done a good enough job. We keep pouring resources into football and we're a notch below the Bama's and Georgia's. Baylor has found a way to build two new arenas since LNC was built, and they got the death penalty in between.

For example: In 2023, Joe C found a way to raise $175M for football facilities (source) on top of the $370M expansion close the endzones, Baylor's new arena cost $212M (source). It can be done, the university is simply choosing not to. The city of Norman deal is better than nothing, but any respectable college program should have an arena on campus. And if Porter leaves, and we find the next hot shot coach, well that person will leave eventually too.

Agree. Joe C needs to look hard in the mirror as to what he wants the basketball program to be. He hasn't done a good enough job. We keep pouring resources into football and we're a notch below the Bama's and Georgia's. Baylor has found a way to build two new arenas since LNC was built, and they got the death penalty in between.

For example: In 2023, Joe C found a way to raise $175M for football facilities (source) on top of the $370M expansion close the endzones, Baylor's new arena cost $212M (source). It can be done, the university is simply choosing not to. The city of Norman deal is better than nothing, but any respectable college program should have an arena on campus. And if Porter leaves, and we find the next hot shot coach, well that person will leave eventually too.

That first sentence says everything. OU has a culture of "good enough" right now.

Good is the enemy of great.

Keep that mindset too much longer and things are gonna great progressively worse and quickly for all major mens sports.

I agree. The program is lagging behind in every way.

I think it starts with NIL. Most players will play in a shithole like the LNC if the money is right. No coach will be successful with a bummy NIL set up, however.
Texas Tech is a prime example of this. Lubbock, TX is one of the worst places in the US. And yet...

Texas Tech is a prime example of this. Lubbock, TX is one of the worst places in the US. And yet...
Tech figured out that it's cheaper to be good in basketball than it is in football. Similar to OSU during the Sutton years, before the Pickens money started rolling in and they went all in on football.

Tech figured out that it's cheaper to be good in basketball than it is in football. Similar to OSU during the Sutton years, before the Pickens money started rolling in and they went all in on football.
Yeah but a good basketball team doesn't generate $$ like a good football team does.. that's why its hard to spend a dollar on bball vs. Football (i.e., OU)

I think a lot of Tech’s success is thanks to Beard and the run they went on, which amped up the interest and passion of the fan base and got things rolling. I’m not doubting that they have a solid NIL program, but it’s not like they are bringing in elite talent and putting tons of guys in the NBA. I would hope we can at least aspire to that level, because they are proof that you can still be very competitive even without a lot of NBA talent.

Wait so OU sucks and FAU is the standard?

(checks Net rankings)

Fau-29
Ou-33

4 spots is the difference between the standard and sucking. Cant make this shite up…
pretty comical.

If OU had losses to Bryant, Florida Gulf Coast, Charlotte, UAB and needed OT to beat UTSA & WSU, certain posters would be ready to fire the coach

Left this board a couple years back because all you experts thought Moser was the next Coach K! You all drank the cool aide and loved the smediums Moser wore. This team is unwatchable and this brand of basketball is atrocious. Hope he signs an extension soon!

Left this board a couple years back because all you experts thought Moser was the next Coach K! You all drank the cool aide and loved the smediums Moser wore. This team is unwatchable and this brand of basketball is atrocious. Hope he signs an extension soon!

I think I speak for everyone when I say no one noticed you were gone

I’m not getting into the FAU vs OU debate but I think Dusty May is a good coach and I’d be fine with OU pursuing him if we have an opening. I think his resume and style is worth a close look.

That said, there’s still a risk in hiring him and anyone not proven in P4. Ultimately, OU will have to support the program better from within if we ever want to be great again. New arena, NIL support, admin support, fan support, etc. Otherwise, we’re just pissing in the wind and wasting money.

Back