Future of Moser

Wanted to add some facts about this season (previous seasons):

KenPom ranks only in the last 30 years:

This is OU's 17th best season currently. Moser's 2nd best. 2022 was his best season and that was 12th best over the last 30 years.
This is OU's 18th toughest season, SOS wise. Moser's toughest was in 2022 when it was the 9th toughest over the last 30 years.
There are currently 6 Top25 Big-12 opponents, tied for the most 4 times. (2010, 2015, 2023, 2024 - Moser has 2 of those years)
There are 10 teams currently ranked in the Top50 in the Big-12. This is the most in the last 30 years. 2nd most was in 6 years (2023, 2022, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2015 with 8)
However, most by % in the Top50 is 80% of the conference, done 3 times (2023, 2019, 2017). This year is 71% by Moser in sole 2nd place.
This is the T-15th most wins in a season total (not over for 2024 yet, but tied with 2019, 2013, 2004)

Most wins was in 2002 (31 - Sampson)
Highest rank was in 2002 (5th - Sampson)
Hardest SOS was in 2016 (1st - Kruger) - (Kruger owns most of the top 10)
Best Big8/12 finish was in 2005 (1st - Sampson)
Highest tournament seed was in 2003 (1 seed - Sampson)

*Data prior to 1999 was compiled using sports-reference.com

Last edited:
Some of you seem to be crying over the prospect of losing a guy who you also say has been one of our biggest disappoints this year. What am I missing here?

Don't want to start a thread but this is relevant to Moser/the future of OU basketball...

OU's admins need to read the article and take notes. Then get serious about the arena issue(s) and/or putting asses in the LNC seats (for now).

Some of you seem to be crying over the prospect of losing a guy who you also say has been one of our biggest disappoints this year. What am I missing here?

It's win-win for Wichita. He can bitch about Moser losing a starter AND he can turn around and bitch about Moser not developing.

So you don’t think we should be worried or upset that the guy who was supposed to be the face of the program and our best player (a) regressed this season and is playing his worst basketball at the most important time of the year, and (b) is apparently mentally checked out and apparently ready to move on? Brilliant take.

Don't want to start a thread but this is relevant to Moser/the future of OU basketball...

OU's admins need to read the article and take notes. Then get serious about the arena issue(s) and/or putting asses in the LNC seats (for now).
They are literally doing everything they can do except build a new arena (which they are trying to do) and hiring a coach that can put a fun, winning team on the court (gotta think they are TRYING to do this).

Tickets aren't expensive. I've seen lots of advertisements. Lots of specials (beer, popcorn). I've seen stuff for free/cheaper parking. They have the light show that is all the rage these days. Both Kruger and Moser have tried connecting with the students.

OU basketball is probably never going to look like Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas basketball in terms of support. But history has shown that most of the time, when we have a good team (better than the current one), the support is far from a problem.

OU basketball is probably never going to look like Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas basketball in terms of support. But history has shown that most of the time, when we have a good team (better than the current one), the support is far from a problem.
Again I'll say, the crowds have been pretty good this conference season. I know the crowd was disappointing the other night. If Darthard had managed to grab that ball on the floor in the final seconds against UH, it probably have been much better, but I was still surprised it was that small on Tuesday.

Man I love data, thanks for putting this together.

I am going to add one column to each just as an add-on:

Sampson's SOS: 48, 52, 83, 89, 91
Capel III's SOS: 62, 18, 29, 13, 48
Kruger's SOS: 41, 27, 20, 5, 1
Moser's SOS: 7, 2, 43

I would love to add strength of record data, but I just don't have that readily available.
where are your SOS from??

So you don’t think we should be worried or upset that the guy who was supposed to be the face of the program and our best player (a) regressed this season and is playing his worst basketball at the most important time of the year, and (b) is apparently mentally checked out and apparently ready to move on? Brilliant take.
Worried? Upset? After reading your posts regarding this player's worth to the team this season, I'd think you'd be celebrating.

Right, but this would be at least five guys in three years. That's a trend. Kelvin losing three guys (probably a couple more) over 12 years and Lon losing a few over 10 years is much different. Especially since Moser himself is on the record as saying that he values roster continuity. It would be one thing if he was a coach who preferred building through the portal, but that clearly isn't what he wants. He keeps talking about how important continuity is to building his "culture."
Kelvin had a LOT more than 3-5 transfer. It was one of the knocks on him while he was here. And, of course, this was before NIL, transfer portal, and sitting out a year.

Just off the top of my head, in addition to Hump, Lavendar, and Lawrence MacKenzie, here is the roster turnover I remember from those who played:
  • Blake Johnston
  • Larry Turner
  • DeAngelo Alexander (though not Kelvin's fault)
  • Prince Fowler
  • Ronnie Griffin (may have been kicked off, IIRC)
  • Alex Spaulding
  • Jimmy Tobias
  • Brandon Faust
  • Matt Gipson
  • Jarret Hart
  • JR Raymond (kicked off for weed)
There may have been others, and this is just the guys who played at least a bit. Point is he lost more than 3 over 12 years. More like a little over one contributor a year in the days before transfers were allowed. And there were other guys who didn't get better while he was here. Many.

Like I've said in another thread and on TOS, some let their dislike for Moser rewrite the history or opinion of Kelvin while he was here. Most of the same complaints about Moser- stubborness, offense, recruiting, roster turnover, no NCAA success, etc- were the same things many said about Kelvin during a good portion of his tenure.

Kelvin had a LOT more than 3-5 transfer. It was one of the knocks on him while he was here. And, of course, this was before NIL, transfer portal, and sitting out a year.

Just off the top of my head, in addition to Hump, Lavendar, and Lawrence MacKenzie, here is the roster turnover I remember from those who played:
  • Blake Johnston
  • Larry Turner
  • DeAngelo Alexander (though not Kelvin's fault)
  • Prince Fowler
  • Ronnie Griffin (may have been kicked off, IIRC)
  • Alex Spaulding
  • Jimmy Tobias
  • Brandon Faust
  • Matt Gipson
  • Jarret Hart
  • JR Raymond (kicked off for weed)
There may have been others, and this is just the guys who played at least a bit. Point is he lost more than 3 over 12 years. More like a little over one contributor a year in the days before transfers were allowed. And there were other guys who didn't get better while he was here. Many.

Like I've said in another thread and on TOS, some let their dislike for Moser rewrite the history or opinion of Kelvin while he was here. Most of the same complaints about Moser- stubborness, offense, recruiting, roster turnover, no NCAA success, etc- were the same things many said about Kelvin during a good portion of his tenure.
Even after the loss to Syracuse I remember people complaining about how he always lost to lower seeds in the tourney. Seems a bit silly knowing who Carmelo Anthony is.

here are the ESPN SOR and SOS numbers

YEARSORSOS

They are literally doing everything they can do except build a new arena (which they are trying to do) and hiring a coach that can put a fun, winning team on the court (gotta think they are TRYING to do this).

Tickets aren't expensive. I've seen lots of advertisements. Lots of specials (beer, popcorn). I've seen stuff for free/cheaper parking. They have the light show that is all the rage these days. Both Kruger and Moser have tried connecting with the students.

I will definitely disagree with you on the "they are literally doing everything they can do" part. No harm, no foul. People disagree.

The premise of the article, to me, is to think outside the box in an everchanging landscape (fans' demands change/times change/etc). Whether that's building a new arena, renovating the current arena/reconfiguring things, or finding new and exciting ways to fill up the one you do have. I don't think anyone can say they're doing everything they can do. Part of that is winning games, no doubt, but even if OU was a top 10 team, you should always be looking to improve the fan experience.

OU needed to beat Cincinnati. You could have labeled it a must win. It was and thankfully, they won. I posted a "get your ass to the LNC" pic as joke because I knew it would be a dead crowd...hoping that maybe I could convince just one person to show up (this site is great but not a lot of lurkers I assume). I'm thinking about personally buying some tickets and finding people who'd actually go (next season, I probably will - maybe 2-4 per game. Not sure yet).

How much did OU promote the game? One tweet featuring Darthard and cheap concessions? Where was the messaging on how important the game was for the NCAA tourney? I mean, seriously. It should have been hammered out there ad nauseum. FILLNC...something like that. OU needs to get their arena to have the spirit of, say, "Hilton Magic". Opponents should fear playing at the LNC. Game in, game out.

Personally, I don't need much promotion. Basketball is enough for me but I'm not local and can't make the games very often. But for a "casual" in Tulsa, or Dallas, or even in OKC, are $2 concessions enough to make a person get into a car, pay whatever price, and make the trek? That's who you're trying to reach. Turn the casuals into diehards.

Make the LNC (for now) the place to be. Again, some of that is winning, we all know that. Some of that is sprucing things up to where people feel like they're missing out on a special time. And you're in competition with the OKC Thunder. You could say they need to work even harder to get fans' attention.

Maybe have a one-of-a-kind beer garden (Biergarten). Indoor or outdoors, be creative. There are a lot of great OK brewers. Different local foods (like Austin Peay in the article). I don't know, I'm not in charge of marketing. The people who are...aren't doing the greatest job. IMO, of course, which is why I think they could read that article and self-reflect. OU's been pretty damn good this year and has had too many meh crowds. That's not to say every home game has been bad, Houston was "litty" as we know.

Just spit-balling.

Last edited:

Just saw this interview. Mostly just basketball talk. But at the end, Dakich joked about Moser's ugly office in the video (starts around the 17:25 timestamp) and Moser said, "I'm going to be in a nice one soon."

He definitely meant at DePaul. I kid.

----

also, as always, I'm monitoring follows. Porter doesn't follow a lot of people, he's very much not a pro-social media usage coach, but tonight he did follow a recruit.

OU's been pretty damn good this year and has had too many meh crowds.
Here's the attendance for all our home conference games:

ISU 11,333
WVU 5,835 (coming off two straight losses and playing a bad team)
ut 11,092
Tech 10,890
BYU 6,834 (not an exciting opponent for a non-KenPom-reading fan and we'd lost 3 of 4)
oswho 11,456
KU 11,308
UH 10,960
Cincy 6,125 (we'd lost 4 of 5)

I wish the WVU, BYU and Cincy games had been better attended, though I can understand why they weren't. But 6 of 9 conference home games were well-attended.

ISU 11,333
ut 11,092
Tech 10,890
BYU 6,834 (not an exciting opponent for a non-KenPom-reading fan and we'd lost 3 of 4)
oswho 11,456
KU 11,308
UH 10,960

I wish the WVU, BYU and Cincy games had been better attended, though I can understand why they weren't. But 6 of 9 conference home games were well-attended.
That's using fuzzy math, though. Sponsor tickets that end up becoming empty seats.

For example, the Oklahoma State game.

GGE2HUGXoAAHp9b

That doesn't look like a (nearly) complete sellout to me. Good crowd? Sure. But probably closer to 6-9K?

Literally none of the reported attendance figures are legit butts in the seat. Even the BYU game is fake news. Maybe 3K were there. Same with the last Cincy game.

And my overall point, fill the seats. Somehow, some way.

There were empty seats in the lower upper section around us at the Houston game, about 10 or so. It was like that throughout the LNC. People buy the tickets but don’t show. Maybe turn the upper deck into nice suites with food and alcohol then move the donors there, and have general admission below.

ISU 11,333
ut 11,092
Tech 10,890
oswho 11,456
KU 11,308
UH 10,960

butts in the seats or tickets sold...no way there was 6K for cincy...a buddy got $4 tickets though...lol

This year most of the good games were on weekends. Our fans seem to go to games on weekends and then games vs big name opponents on weeknights.

Would having an arena closer to OKC make a difference? Maybe for a few people?

It’s tough with cold weather but if they could find a way to do some kind of fan fest like the Thunder did during the playoffs, maybe that would bring some people?

Back