Future of Moser

butts in the seats or tickets sold...no way there was 6K for cincy...a buddy got $4 tickets though...lol
all of those numbers are tickets sold ..

OU used to report both tickets sold and tickets scanned .. but stopped about 5 years ago .

all of those numbers are tickets sold ..

OU used to report both tickets sold and tickets scanned .. but stopped about 5 years ago .
For obvious reasons...lol

Wish we could still see those numbers. Or have someone use video footage and overlay some ML/AI to detect actual butts in seats projections

Here's the attendance for all our home conference games:

ISU 11,333
WVU 5,835 (coming off two straight losses and playing a bad team)
ut 11,092
Tech 10,890
BYU 6,834 (not an exciting opponent for a non-KenPom-reading fan and we'd lost 3 of 4)
oswho 11,456
KU 11,308
UH 10,960
Cincy 6,125 (we'd lost 4 of 5)

I wish the WVU, BYU and Cincy games had been better attended, though I can understand why they weren't. But 6 of 9 conference home games were well-attended.
WVa game attendance was 6,835, not under 6K. But your point is the same.

The common denominator on the attendance and games? More than the opponent and our previous winning/losing?

WVU, BYU, and Cincy were all weeknight games on Tues/Wed. All the other games, except the rivalry game against Texas, were all Saturday games.

Fans will show up against Texas, OSU, and Kansas. And we knew the crowd would be there vs. Houston. But Saturday helped 3 of 4 of those games. Like @StoopsBros pointed out very well, marketing and the OU athletic department should've done a better job promoting and hyping the other games. Especially since they were weeknight games.

Putting a tweet out 10 hours before a game that is a MUST win that there will be $2 concession items isn't the type of hype our program deserves. What about a football-type hype 2-minute video? Something more could have been done that a freshman at Price College of Business could have done in their sleep.

The common denominator on the attendance and games? More than the opponent and our previous winning/losing?

WVU, BYU, and Cincy were all weeknight games on Tues/Wed. All the other games, except the rivalry game against Texas, were all Saturday games.

Fans will show up against Texas, OSU, and Kansas. And we knew the crowd would be there vs. Houston. But Saturday helped 3 of 4 of those games. Like @StoopsBros pointed out very well, marketing and the OU athletic department should've done a better job promoting and hyping the other games. Especially since they were weeknight games.

Putting a tweet out 10 hours before a game that is a MUST win that there will be $2 concession items isn't the type of hype our program deserves. What about a football-type hype 2-minute video? Something more could have been done that a freshman at Price College of Business could have done in their sleep.
Be interesting to see who from the SEC draws interest.

We'll still have Texas. I imagine Arkansas will bring out the crowds. Probably Kentucky.

Be interesting to see who from the SEC draws interest.

We'll still have Texas. I imagine Arkansas will bring out the crowds. Probably Kentucky.
Tennessee and Florida as well. Plus Alabama and Auburn when they're good, which they have been lately.

I don't think there will be as many high ranked teams coming to Norman as there's been in the Big 12, but I also don't think the bad duds are there as much either.

Most of the schools in the SEC are going to be semi big names, so I actually think crowds will be better.

I think there are only a few schools in the Big 12 that draw a big interest whether they're good or not.

I mean I would expect Florida to outdraw Cincinnati when both are having a bad year. I expect Mizzou to outdraw WVU when both are having a bad year. I could keep going.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but that's just how I see it going.

Tennessee and Florida as well. Plus Alabama and Auburn when they're good, which they have been lately.

I don't think there will be as many high ranked teams coming to Norman as there's been in the Big 12, but I also don't think the bad duds are there as much either.

Most of the schools in the SEC are going to be semi big names, so I actually think crowds will be better.

I think there are only a few schools in the Big 12 that draw a big interest whether they're good or not.

I mean I would expect Florida to outdraw Cincinnati when both are having a bad year. I expect Mizzou to outdraw WVU when both are having a bad year. I could keep going.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but that's just how I see it going.
Agreed. And as long as Chris Beard is at Ole Miss, I would add them to the mix as well. At least on par with a KSU, TCU, or Tech in far as competitiveness and maybe a step ahead of ISU in terms of fan appeal.

For those fans thinking moving to the SEC is a big relief with much easier competition, they might be in for a surprise. The top 6 is about on par with the top 6 of the Big XII, except the Big XII's top team is usually a top 4 in the country. The next 4-6 aren't much different in either fan appeal of competitiveness.

Where the SEC will be easier is at the bottom of the league. Teams like Georgia, MSU, Vandy, and LSU won't be as dangerous on the court or drive attendance much most years.

I'll really miss the Big XII but also looking forward to the SEC and seeing coaches and teams like Tennesee, Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, and our old "friends" at MIZZOU.

The top of the SEC is still very good but think people are underestimating value to casual fan of playing an awful “name opponent” that’s likely an easy win more frequently in the SEC than the Big 12 as currently constructed. I’m not saying that will solve all attendance problems by any means but will help things on the margins.

For example, casual fans will be more excited see OU pick up an easy win over UGA as opposed to a quality win (or loss) like BYU. There are several more “awful” (<70 KP) P5 teams in the SEC than the Big 12.

Where the SEC will be easier is at the bottom of the league. Teams like Georgia, MSU, Vandy, and LSU won't be as dangerous on the court or drive attendance much most years.
I agree that overall the bottom of the SEC will be easier. But, those teams still have quality athletes. I watched LSU play once this year and they have some impressive dudes on their team.

BUT, I would rather play LSU, Georgia, and Vandy as opposed to KSU, Tech or Cincinnati.

We'll have to see about what interests fans.

I think in the short term playing new teams will help with "fan interest", especially in football.

But I've argued that a lot of fan interest is driven by playing teams where you may have a buddy that went to school there, or a coworker. As an OU fan living in Oklahoma, that is going to be more true of Baylor, and Kansas, and TCU, than it is of Georgia, or Vanderbilt, or Kentucky.

And playing a name like Florida doesn't mean much to me. Cincy has had a pretty good program at times as well. So has BYU. We have a lot of history against ISU, KSU, and KU. Same with OSU, though I expect we'll continue those games in basketball in some OOC capacity (I hope, for the fans).

Right, but this would be at least five guys in three years. That's a trend. Kelvin losing three guys (probably a couple more) over 12 years and Lon losing a few over 10 years is much different. Especially since Moser himself is on the record as saying that he values roster continuity. It would be one thing if he was a coach who preferred building through the portal, but that clearly isn't what he wants. He keeps talking about how important continuity is to building his "culture."

I don't disagree with you on the numbers part of your post. I do think that NIL and the portal exacerbates Moser's transfer list though. If we had the portal when Kelvin and Lon were here there would have likely been a lot more turnover and vice versa.

But the number comparisons are definitely different.

I don't know what all the issues are but there definitely seems to be some. I didn't get into all the debate earlier in this thread but I DO have a strong distaste for our offense. It is horrid. It just seems to evolve in a stand around and go one on one at the end a lot of times. I think we do play faster and have more athleticism, which I like....but want to see more.

One other thing that I HAAAAATE.....we have ATROCIOUS inbound plays. That seems small but it is just gross. LOL

They were advertising 2 dollar concessions at the houston game. And I several emails about it.

We'll have to see about what interests fans.

I think in the short term playing new teams will help with "fan interest", especially in football.

But I've argued that a lot of fan interest is driven by playing teams where you may have a buddy that went to school there, or a coworker. As an OU fan living in Oklahoma, that is going to be more true of Baylor, and Kansas, and TCU, than it is of Georgia, or Vanderbilt, or Kentucky.

And playing a name like Florida doesn't mean much to me. Cincy has had a pretty good program at times as well. So has BYU. We have a lot of history against ISU, KSU, and KU. Same with OSU, though I expect we'll continue those games in basketball in some OOC capacity (I hope, for the fans).
I agree that beating UGA does nothing for me compared to playing ISU/BU but think casual OU bball fans view everything through a football/big state school prism. So UGA is a more reputable opponent even if they’re a mediocre baseketball team.

Also I think the target market is likely a lot of families looking for cheap entertainment, a win regardless of who they play is a better deal.

Again I don’t think this will restore OU basketball attendance just that the current situation (being a bottom half roster in a meat grinder of a league) from the past half decade is particularly detrimental to driving attendance from the casual fan.

I agree that beating UGA does nothing for me compared to playing ISU/BU but think casual OU bball fans view everything through a football/big state school prism. So UGA is a more reputable opponent even if they’re a mediocre baseketball team.

Also I think the target market is likely a lot of families looking for cheap entertainment, a win regardless of who they play is a better deal.

Again I don’t think this will restore OU basketball attendance just that the current situation (being a bottom half roster in a meat grinder of a league) from the past half decade is particularly detrimental to driving attendance from the casual fan.
I think a more apt comparison here would be ISU/BU v. Bama/Florida. (UK to KU omitted)

Georgia is more comparable with UCF at the moment. (still not close)

I think a more apt comparison here would be ISU/BU v. Bama/Florida. (UK to KU omitted)

Georgia is more comparable with UCF at the moment. (still not close)
Oh I agree, I’m just saying the average OU fan taking their kids to a game cares way more about beating UGA than losing close to BU or ISU.

Future of Moser is wholly dependent on the next 3-5 games. 0-3, and he's gone. Play-in game loss, he's probably gone. If he somehow makes it through, next year will either be a transition year to long-term success or a throwaway where we lose our coach at the end of it.

Future of Moser is wholly dependent on the next 3-5 games. 0-3, and he's gone. Play-in game loss, he's probably gone. If he somehow makes it through, next year will either be a transition year to long-term success or a throwaway where we lose our coach at the end of it.
He won’t be fired imo. All we can hope for is that he takes another job somewhere else!

He won’t be fired imo. All we can hope for is that he takes another job somewhere else!
This is correct. He has 20 wins now and should be in the tournament. A win over Texas in the next two games is even better for both him and us.

I don't think DePaul is a better job than OU, but it is a better job for Porter Moser. I wish him well if that is how it plays out. Likewise, if he stays, I wish him well.

They were advertising 2 dollar concessions at the houston game. And I several emails about it.
Relying on a promotion on the scoreboard to people already showing up to the games and sending emails to season ticket holders to sell your product for the most important time of the year is the type of marketing that would get a lot of people fired in the corporate world. No one can deny basketball promotion and marketing is lacking, especially when you compare it to what football and softball are doing. Or basketball at other schools.
HAHA! Moser is not getting fired regardless of the next two weeks. Improved attendance, improved roster, solid HS recruiting, increased student participation, better record, 20 wins & making the NCAA tournament, no program embarrassment or discipline issues... the program is in better shape than when he had only 3 players when he took over almost 3 years ago. So remind me why he would be fired??

The Moser Theorem:

Let's throw out a hypothetical... (posed by my colleague)

A. Porter Moser's wife is unhappy, wants to move back to Chicago, he is making no headway with NIL + arena and fan support is all about football. He knows Los and maybe Oweh are transferring. His culture of building through recruiting takes a big hit and Godwin's future is uncertain. Essentially he is starting over from square one. But his stock this year will be it's highest since Loyola-Chicago.

In this scenario, we are looking at potentially hitting the reset button on the way back to 2021. Moser in a full rebuild, roster dismantled, and fighting for position in a new conference with low resources and administrative support if he stays...however, he can read the tea-leaves and has a foot out the door for DePaul. Roster will implode and we will reset with a new coach.

or

B. Porter Moser is a man of his word. His wife is unhappy, but money in Oklahoma goes farther and the life of a coach is one she signed up for. This is the first year of tournament for his Sooners and perhaps a build upon a starting run of tournament selections. He is happy with his roster, is mostly unaware of any player hitting the portal as of now, and thinks the future is bright with his sophomores and Cooper + Cole + Dayton + Atak. He also wants to prove everyone wrong, that he can be successful at a bigger school. This is his path forward. Maybe he has to reset the roster, but now he has a better idea of the portal and how to manage it. Portal doesn't scare him, but the potential to lose Uzan may put him back to 2021, where OU should have been selected. The SEC looming, but it is not as tough of a conference as the Big12 was/will be. (Without another portal success)

In this scenario, the outcome of the roster may still be the same, potentially causing a reset back to 2021 and potential 3 year cycle that we have just seen. (but more optimistic than scenario A)

-Is A or B more likely and does A or B actually make a difference looking forward in the next few years?
-Regardless of the origins, does him staying or going have more of an impact on you as a fan if you think it will be a reset with another 3 year cycle of bubble teams?
-Is my scenario stupid/redundant and TL;DR?

Relying on a promotion on the scoreboard to people already showing up to the games and sending emails to season ticket holders to sell your product for the most important time of the year is the type of marketing that would get a lot of people fired in the corporate world. No one can deny basketball promotion and marketing is lacking, especially when you compare it to what football and softball are doing. Or basketball at other schools.
Got any examples? What exactly is OU football doing to get butts in seats?

Fun fact, OU rarely sells out home football games. They have donors by whatever tickets are left Friday night, call it a sell out, and generally have a stadium that is 5-10% empty.

Will the move to the SEC help? Sure. For a while. Still not going to help when we play Temple or Maine.

But I'm curious what you think OU football is doing that OU basketball is not. I'm curious what you think other college basketball programs are doing that OU is not. We know about our arena, so I'm not interested in hearing about that as the end all be all to getting people to games.

Back