Future of Moser

Okay so here’s one. Some crazy **** happens with other bubble teams and OU ends up missing the tournament.. even after expecting to be in almost all season long.

Should Moser get another year?

I would say no (probably not surprising) but I’m curious what other people think.
If they make it, he'll have done just enough in 3 years to not get fired imo. If they somehow miss it, I lean towards moving on. You have to be able to make the tournament at least once in 3 years at a place like OU. Who knows though, maybe his style is a better fit for the SEC.

If they make it, he'll have done just enough in 3 years to not get fired imo. If they somehow miss it, I lean towards moving on. You have to be able to make the tournament at least once in 3 years at a place like OU. Who knows though, maybe his style is a better fit for the SEC.
Very fair assessment

Edit: I guess I’ll add. If OU ends up missing the tournament then next year is essentially a throw away year anyways. There will be another huge roster turnover and no progress will have been made. It’ll be like Moser’s first day on campus. So might as well move on and try to get a better fit.

Should and/or would. Two different things. Obviously.

Would Moser still be the coach? Yes. Buyout. Moser is getting one more year.

Should Moser still be the coach? I say no. If OU misses the tourney, it would have been a giant miscalculation. They didn't want to win vs TCU and guys could have played...especially McCollum. I didn't agree with those who wanted to lose to TCU on purpose. They did and we're now sweating the outcomes of several games/bubble teams. I think they're still in, barely, but yeah, in this hypothetical of not getting in, I'd want to start over with.....wait for it.....WILL WADE. Just kidding, a little bit.

Last edited:
Should and/or would. Two different things. Obviously.

Would Moser still be the coach? Yes. Buyout. Moser is getting one more year.

Should Moser still be the coach? I say no. If OU misses the tourney, it would have been a giant miscalculation. They didn't want to win vs TCU and guys could have played...especially McCollum. I didn't agree with those who wanted to lose to TCU on purpose. They did and we're now sweating the outcomes of several games/bubble teams. I think they're still in, barely, but yeah, in this hypothetical of not getting in, I'd want to start over with.....wait for it.....WILL WADE. Just kidding, a little bit.

I sure hope it isn’t true that Moser/the program actually thought that way. I completely disagreed with the people on the board who wanted us to rest guys because I knew we weren’t truly a lock. I can’t imagine the coach/team would have been willing to hold out a guy who was healthy enough to play. If so, that right there is a basis to fan him even if we do sneak in.

I’d put him on the hot seat next year, but the way the season ended with injuries, etc, buys him another year for me.
I knew some people would play this card and look for another excuse. We have been incredibly fortunate from an injury standpoint during his tenure. It took till the last month of his third season for it to be an issue. And I don’t think the injuries cost us a single game. Texas owns us. We weren’t winning there even if we hadn’t been missing our backup big. TCU routed us when we were full strength and riding high in early January, and would have been favored over us Wednesday regardless.

I sure hope it isn’t true that Moser/the program actually thought that way. I completely disagreed with the people on the board who wanted us to rest guys because I knew we weren’t truly a lock. I can’t imagine the coach/team would have been willing to hold out a guy who was healthy enough to play. If so, that right there is a basis to fan him even if we do sneak in.
Will we ever truly know? No.

I was told Javian could have played, for sure. Is that info accurate? I think it is but there's been a lot of false info floating around lately, lol.

Maybe I'm wrong but it truly felt like OU decided to lose on purpose for seeding and health reasons. If true, again we'll never probably know, maybe it'll pay off. There's very little doubt in my mind though...if the TCU game was seen as do/die, Soares and/or Javian would have played. Hugley, I have no earthly idea. By now, you'd think he's able to play.

Will we ever truly know? No.

I was told Javian could have played, for sure. Is that info accurate? I think it is but there's been a lot of false info floating around lately, lol.

Maybe I'm wrong but it truly felt like OU decided to lose on purpose for seeding and health reasons. If true, again we'll never probably know, maybe it'll pay off. There's very little doubt in my mind though...if the TCU game was seen as do/die, Soares and/or Javian would have played. Hugley, I have no earthly idea. By now, you'd think he's able to play.
I don't think it is fair to say we lost on purpose.

I think it is fair to say that we took the chance of resting guys knowing it likely meant an L so they would be ready for the tournament.

If we really tried to lose on purpose I'd be done with PM.

I think it is fair to say that we took the chance of resting guys knowing it likely meant an L so they would be ready for the tournament.

I can’t stand Moser but even I don’t think there is any way they lost on purpose. But I think taking a chance and resting guys is almost as bad when you are floating around the 10 line and everyone, let alone a college basketball coach, knows that there are almost always upsets in conference tourneys that will result in spots being stolen. And if you’re concerned about health, then why is Soares in the game at the end of a blowout in Austin? That was the time to be smart and cautious and use basic common sense.

Fair enough. I'm fine with being alone on this topic, lol. I'll always think (wrong or right) that they saw an opportunity to accomplish two things; more favorable seeding and much needed rest. No one in the OU basketball office(s) thought they'd beat TCU without 3 of their top 5/6 players. Whether we call that 'on purpose' or 'taking a chance', eh, it's whatever.

Another way to say it....if OU was on the bubble, say "next four out", pre-TCU, I think a different scenario would have played out.

I can’t stand Moser but even I don’t think there is any way they lost on purpose. But I think taking a chance and resting guys is almost as bad when you are floating around the 10 line and everyone, let alone a college basketball coach, knows that there are almost always upsets in conference tourneys that will result in spots being stolen. And if you’re concerned about health, then why is Soares in the game at the end of a blowout in Austin? That was the time to be smart and cautious and use basic common sense.
This x 1,000

Fair enough. I'm fine with being alone on this topic, lol. I'll always think (wrong or right) that they saw an opportunity to accomplish two things; more favorable seeding and much needed rest. No one in the OU basketball office(s) thought they'd beat TCU without 3 of their top 5/6 players. Whether we call that 'on purpose' or 'taking a chance', eh, it's whatever.

Another way to say it....if OU was on the bubble, say "next four out", pre-TCU, I think a different scenario would have played out.
I can assure you, you are not alone on this topic. I wanted us to rest our guys the last 2 games and getting a more favorable seed is a bonus.

Full agreement.

I think it is more likely that OU wanted to get the injured players extra rest so that they can get closer to 100% for next week ..

not to "lose on purpose"
This. No way Moser was comfortable enough with seeding to lose a game to influence it. That is crazy talk.

It was to make sure we were as close to 100% healthy for next week as we can be.

This. No way Moser was comfortable enough with seeding to lose a game to influence it. That is crazy talk.

It was to make sure we were as close to 100% healthy for next week as we can be.
And to add to that, Moser has made it a point to say that OU was 18-6 FULLY healthy which he has said could be as early as this weekend going into next week.

...TCU routed us when we were full strength and riding high in early January, and would have been favored over us Wednesday regardless.
I'm not sure how much betting lines move based on injuries but, with TCU only favored by 2-2.5 before the JM news, wouldn't a healthy Soares (and Hugley) swung that spread in OU's favor?

I'm not sure how much betting lines move based on injuries but, with TCU only favored by 2-2.5 before the JM news, wouldn't a healthy Soares (and Hugley) swung that spread in OU's favor?
I love Waldo, but no way he is worth 2.5 points in a betting line. And Hugley would be even more of a nonfactor. TCU finished ahead of us in the league, we have beaten one team other than OSU in weeks, and have not competed well against tournament teams outside of Norman. I don't see any way TCU wasn't going to be favored by at least a point or two.

Back