Future of Moser

Safest coach in America. No risk of being fired, ever. No matter what he does, as long as OU isn't at risk of probation (only thing that got Capel fired).

Sad state of OU sports. Can't fire inept coaches because of money, unfortunately.
Oh they definitely could, they just choose not to. Our athletic department has far more money than, say, KU, yet they were willing to fire multiple football coaches and owe them all money. Heck, WSU fired their basketball coach last year even though they were still paying Marshall.

And next year we get SEC money. Its a choice from our illustrious AD. Our bball program’s state is his doing.
Two things can be true. Joe C may not be doing his job when it comes to basketball, but Porter certainly isn’t doing his, either. Joe isn’t in charge of noncon schedules or style of play or player development.

Two things can be true. Joe C may not be doing his job when it comes to basketball, but Porter certainly isn’t doing his, either. Joe isn’t in charge of noncon schedules or style of play or player development.
True, but we keep having this exact same conversation. Moser’s time, Kruger’s last years, Capel’s last two. The only constant is the man over the program as a whole, not the coaches. Give us KU’s penchant for buying players and we win a lot more games with those coaches … well, not Kruger, as he was a boy scout .. just wish he hadn’t retired in place lol .. but Joe needs to go. We need someone else.

need to get back to the scheduler that lon had ..... that was a magic formula ..
Yep, Mike Shepherd. Wichita mentioned his name in another thread, and I added his work got us in at least 1 or 2 tourneys.

He had the right combination of home NC games, patsies, tough road matchups at neutral sites, and a marquee road NC matchup.

I added someone needs to drive up the road to Casady to get a tutorial as I believe we would have made 2 of 3 NCAAs under PM, with the identical record, with Shep's formula.

Yep, Mike Shepherd. Wichita mentioned his name in another thread, and I added his work got us in at least 1 or 2 tourneys.

He had the right combination of home NC games, patsies, tough road matchups at neutral sites, and a marquee road NC matchup.

I added someone needs to drive up the road to Casady to get a tutorial as I believe we would have made 2 of 3 NCAAs under PM, with the identical record, with Shep's formula.
This is absolutely correct. That man got Lon's teams into more than one NCAA tournament with his scheduling prowess.

I wish Porter would have found a way to keep him.

No, it’s his attitude toward the new college sports landscape that’s holding the entire athletic department back.
I agree and think it’s probably time for new leadership in the AD. I also think, Joe C can afford to ignore the basketball program because there are no influential donors banging down his door or blowing up his phone when we are flailing in mediocrity. There’s not enough pressure on Joe for basketball failures. There’s Nothing to compel him to act.

I agree and think it’s probably time for new leadership in the AD. I also think, Joe C can afford to ignore the basketball program because there are no influential donors banging down his door or blowing up his phone when we are flailing in mediocrity. There’s not enough pressure on Joe for basketball failures. There’s Nothing to compel him to act.
I expect Joe C. to get us through the first year in the SEC and announce his retirement. I presume Zac Selmon (now at Mississippi State) is AD in waiting, but I could be wrong on that one.

For discussion's sake, let's assume your description of the situation is accurate. Which of the factors you cite do you think would change with a new AD in place?

Last edited:
The tech AD (Hocutt) would be well ahead of Selmon in pecking order imo.
Could be. I hadn't thought of him. He was at OU as associate AD many years ago. He's been AD at Ohio University, Miami and Texas Tech. He's bombed some coach hires, but he's also helped them raise a boat load of money. He's helped them stay afloat in the Big 12. Most importantly in the OU scenario, he's Brent Venables' college buddy.

In the Big 12, you walk from Texas Tech to OU, but you make the move. In the new environment, you run from Tech to OU. The SEC is a step up in the new world.

Last edited:
I don’t care about our noncon schedule. I want to be a team that has a consistent winning record in conference and can beat almost anyone on that given day. I want more focus on court results and less focus on algorithms.

Joe c is likely the best AD in America. Not one to procrastinate
What about Joe C makes you think he’s the best? Just curious. I mean even the best can make mistakes i.e. Moser. But what makes him so much better than the AD of let’s say Alabama or Georgia?

What about Joe C makes you think he’s the best? Just curious. I mean even the best can make mistakes i.e. Moser. But what makes him so much better than the AD of let’s say Alabama or Georgia?
It’s more than hoops. Move to the sec.

Bv trending up, Stoops, skip trending up, gasso goat, coale till the end, Jenny b, golf teams, tennis teams, Gymnastics.

Dudes a winner.

Back