Future of Moser

It’s more than hoops. Move to the sec.

Bv trending up, Stoops, skip trending up, gasso goat, coale till the end, Jenny b, golf teams, tennis teams, Gymnastics.

Dudes a winner.
Okay fair enough. Everything except basketball is successful 😔

It be that way sometimes I guess.

Bv trending up, Stoops, skip trending up, gasso goat, coale till the end, Jenny b, golf teams, tennis teams, Gymnastics.

Dudes a winner.

Wouldn’t be surprised if OU has been top 2-3 in terms of profitability over his tenure, as well.

He is the best imo but he is slippin on NIL and compliance. Needs to catch up and quick.

Dudes a winner.
Nobody questions that Joe C pre NIL was probably the best AD in the country. The issue is now with such a rapidly changing environment for college athletics that if you aren’t pushing forward to break/test old norms to win then you’re rapidly falling behind.

The Texas athletic dept was sorely behind OU prior to Del Conte coming on board and he’s pushed them ahead of OU in the big 2 sports in this era with their aggressiveness in using NIL and lining up donors to support those sports. Meanwhile OU has a very inconsistent NIL message and can’t even get 2K people on board with a matching program. Moser made it a point to say he only started getting NIL this past year, sorry that’s inexcusable for a top 25 level program and that starts with the AD.

I think Joe C is a very good AD at the twilight of his career. Not sure I’d call him “the best” although to be fair I’m not entirely familiar with other AD resumes for a comparison.

Joe has hit on a lot of hires and raised a lot of money, but I think has built a lot of his reputation winning in the easier sports to win in. Most of women’s sports where just a minor amount of investment goes a long way (bball, gym, softball) and he even almost allowed the WBB team to whither away into mediocrity due to allowing Coale to stay on well past her time.

Pete Hughes and Sunny Golloway were horrible hires and he kinda lucked into Skip who was already on Pete’s staff (I love Skip btw). Men’s gym (as a sport) isn’t super competitive. Wrestling gets embarrassed by OSU even with a lot of appreciation for the sport in the state. No need to discuss the state of the men’s basketball program as everyone here is familiar with where it’s at. Lastly, this may be a hot take but I think he’s been fortunate with the football program during his tenure. Took a shot on Stoops and hit on a coach that we were lucky to hold onto for almost 20 years. Riley is what it is, but I fault Joe C for allowing the complacency that had engulfed the football program that caused Riley to want to leave. Riley’s departure reinvigorated the donors and the desire to succeed but some of that situation falls on Joe. Love BV but that’s still a wait and see.

All this to say I think he’s a good AD, but he certainly has a few blemishes on the record and more than a lot of Sooner fans care to admit. I’d be sad to see him leave, but also open to seeing what some new blood might bring to the table.

Dudes a winner.
I don't agree with much you say, but I agree with this take. We're damn lucky to have Joe C. at OU.

I know some of you don't love where our NIL is at and blame Joe (I think that is severely misguided), but he's been good to OU from a financial standpoint too.

Nobody questions that Joe C pre NIL was probably the best AD in the country. The issue is now with such a rapidly changing environment for college athletics that if you aren’t pushing forward to break/test old norms to win then you’re rapidly falling behind.

The Texas athletic dept was sorely behind OU prior to Del Conte coming on board and he’s pushed them ahead of OU in the big 2 sports in this era with their aggressiveness in using NIL and lining up donors to support those sports. Meanwhile OU has a very inconsistent NIL message and can’t even get 2K people on board with a matching program. Moser made it a point to say he only started getting NIL this past year, sorry that’s inexcusable for a top 25 level program and that starts with the AD.
How is that bold part Joe's fault? Oklahoma money doesn't look like Texas money. OU culture doesn't look like Texas culture. Again, our football team landed our top recruiting class on paper in over two decades coming off one of our worst seasons in two decades and with crappy NIL. I know OU basketball isn't OU football, but some of you are WAY over exaggerating how much NIL is hurting OU sports teams. Its an excuse, and it's not a good one.

I think Joe C is a very good AD at the twilight of his career. Not sure I’d call him “the best” although to be fair I’m not entirely familiar with other AD resumes for a comparison.

Joe has hit on a lot of hires and raised a lot of money, but I think has built a lot of his reputation winning in the easier sports to win in. Most of women’s sports where just a minor amount of investment goes a long way (bball, gym, softball) and he even almost allowed the WBB team to whither away into mediocrity due to allowing Coale to stay on well past her time.

Pete Hughes and Sunny Golloway were horrible hires and he kinda lucked into Skip who was already on Pete’s staff (I love Skip btw). Men’s gym (as a sport) isn’t super competitive. Wrestling gets embarrassed by OSU even with a lot of appreciation for the sport in the state. No need to discuss the state of the men’s basketball program as everyone here is familiar with where it’s at. Lastly, this may be a hot take but I think he’s been fortunate with the football program during his tenure. Took a shot on Stoops and hit on a coach that we were lucky to hold onto for almost 20 years. Riley is what it is, but I fault Joe C for allowing the complacency that had engulfed the football program that caused Riley to want to leave. Riley’s departure reinvigorated the donors and the desire to succeed but some of that situation falls on Joe. Love BV but that’s still a wait and see.

All this to say I think he’s a good AD, but he certainly has a few blemishes on the record and more than a lot of Sooner fans care to admit. I’d be sad to see him leave, but also open to seeing what some new blood might bring to the table.
And what has Riley done since he left? I'd argue a lot less than he did at OU in arguably an easier conference (top to bottom).

How is that bold part Joe's fault? Oklahoma money doesn't look like Texas money. OU culture doesn't look like Texas culture. Again, our football team landed our top recruiting class on paper in over two decades coming off one of our worst seasons in two decades and with crappy NIL. I know OU basketball isn't OU football, but some of you are WAY over exaggerating how much NIL is hurting OU sports teams. Its an excuse, and it's not a good one.
Football came VERY close to missing "payroll" in January. They have to get more aggressive with it.

And what has Riley done since he left? I'd argue a lot less than he did at OU in arguably an easier conference (top to bottom).
Riley benefitted from the structure and culture Stoops left behind and immediately began withering it down. Once those structures started crumbling he bailed and found out the hard way that he’d taken for granted what he was left at OU.

But that post wasn’t about Riley, which is why I left it at it is what it is in the post. It was about Joe being a very good-not-great AD in my eyes and me being open to the potential of new blood. No ill will meant towards Joe or anyone else. Just what I see

I can’t stand the trend of giving extensions so early. And there was no need for us to do it. It’s not like we are a mid major or a stepping stone job. It’s not like we were any danger of losing Moser after year one. It makes zero sense and now it’s biting us in the butt.
Just like NIL, or any pro draft… paying on potential. It’s all the craze…

Just like NIL, or any pro draft… paying on potential. It’s all the craze…
I think more often, it is paranoia that some other school will come and hire your coach away from you. But given how expensive most buyouts are, only some schools can do that. And we sure as heck didn’t have to worry that anyone would come after Mr. Culture Wall after his first season.

I think more often, it is paranoia that some other school will come and hire your coach away from you. But given how expensive most buyouts are, only some schools can do that. And we sure as heck didn’t have to worry that anyone would come after Mr. Culture Wall after his first season.
True

Yup… if Coach was successful and we were winning and making long runs in the tourney we’d get the kids. We aren’t, so the top guys want to go where they can.

Hell, take softball… gymnastics (both)…

Lots of folks think those teams/ sports are not with their weight but all 3 WIN, and get top recruits. It isn’t NIL either

Money losing sports are still great for traditional recruiting .. no one gets paid much. Doing that in a meat market like football and men’s bball gets you a significant handicap. Ask LSU or KU if you can buy a championship. Hell, ask Barry lol. It works, it just works differently now.

Yep, Mike Shepherd. Wichita mentioned his name in another thread, and I added his work got us in at least 1 or 2 tourneys.

He had the right combination of home NC games, patsies, tough road matchups at neutral sites, and a marquee road NC matchup.

I added someone needs to drive up the road to Casady to get a tutorial as I believe we would have made 2 of 3 NCAAs under PM, with the identical record, with Shep's formula.
Moser ran Shep off. I heard Shep saved OU a lot of money on the basketball budget too.

Joe C is pretty great. Find another AD that has the track record he does over 30 years.

Back