Future of Moser

I'm glad a reporter finally asked, but just word salad from Porter. The way he answers this, it's like he is ignoring the fact that HE is the one who can give Cooper his chance. It makes me angrier and angrier every time I think about it.

I'm glad a reporter finally asked, but just word salad from Porter. The way he answers this, it's like he is ignoring the fact that HE is the one who can give Cooper his chance. It makes me angrier and angrier every time I think about it.

Bob has been asking this consistently. Definitely agree the answer was garbage. Cooper should be playing more. My biggest critique of moser has been his reluctance to play the best athletes more and earlier (Marvin year 1, oweh last year, cooper this year).

I dont get why people think because hes and extreme athlete and high rated that means you get to play.

If he cant beat out Otega, tre, waldo los or Jav... Why should he just get to play...

Dude is coaching for his job. I wish he was good enough and maybe he will be but if he cant defend or not turn it over in practice... gotta sit.

I dont get why people think because hes and extreme athlete and high rated that means you get to play.

If he cant beat out Otega, tre, waldo los or Jav... Why should he just get to play...

Dude is coaching for his job. I wish he was good enough and maybe he will be but if he cant defend or not turn it over in practice... gotta sit.
We feel that way because we have seen it play out before. Marvin was buried, then finally got a chance and helped us a ton till he got hurt. Last year's team desperately needed athleticism, yet he didn't give Oweh a chance till the season was off the rails and we were playing out the string. No one is saying that he should automatically get to play 20 mins a game. What I have said for three months is simple -- play him 10-15 minutes in the noncon. If he falls on his face and isn't showing any growth, at least you have a reason not to play him in Big 12 games. But if, like a lot of freshman, he improves and learns from his mistakes, then maybe, just maybe, he is a big spark.

As for the turnovers in practice -- uh, we have turned the ball over in games like crazy for three years. I don't see any of those guys getting benched. And as for defense ... all freshmen struggle there initially. Teams certainly try to attack Furphy. I wonder if Bill is glad he continued to play him despite the occasional turnovers and defensive lapses.

Coach speaks for me. The guy's a true freshman and none of us have seen him in practice. I'm looking forward to seeing Cooper when he's ready, but why in the world wouldn't Moser be playing him if he were ready now?

Recruiting rankings have hurt college sports, in my view. The number of stars a player was awarded by a group of "experts"--most of whom didn't get their job because they had expertise but are deemed experts simply because of the job they hold--has become far too much of a focus.

What do you want him to say? This is the way any coach answers questions about a freshman not playing

He also may just not be ready. I dont want everyone to get too hung up on it as if hes a golden cow that will win us games night in night out

What do you want him to say? This is the way any coach answers questions about a freshman not playing
Not true. Self and Sampson are just two examples of guys who shoot straight when they get asked a direct question. I don't think I have ever heard either of them fall back on coach speak.

Again, I am not assuming he will win us games by himself. I do know that he couldn't possibly have done any worse than a couple of the guys did in certain losses.

Not true. Self and Sampson are just two examples of guys who shoot straight when they get asked a direct question. I don't think I have ever heard either of them fall back on coach speak.

Again, I am not assuming he will win us games by himself. I do know that he couldn't possibly have done any worse than a couple of the guys did in certain losses.
again, so what do you want him to say? How do you know it is "coach speak"

no Cooper has his "chance" in practice every day

no Cooper has his "chance" in practice every day
So I guess Marvin and Oweh both went from being completely incapable of helping us to being starters overnight? It isn’t possible that Porter missed the boat by not playing them sooner? So basically, Porter is infallible and his decisions on who he plays/doesn’t play should never be questioned by any of us because, after all, we don’t see practice every day.

So I guess Marvin and Oweh both went from being completely incapable of helping us to being starters overnight? It isn’t possible that Porter missed the boat by not playing them sooner? So basically, Porter is infallible and his decisions on who he plays/doesn’t play should never be questioned by any of us because, after all, we don’t see practice every day.
1. there are almost undoubtedly things going on that we have no idea about and don't need to know about.
2. Oweh played a lot more early than Cooper did. Moser must think that Oweh was more ready than Cooper is this year.
3. I think you are vastly overstating that impact Marvin and Oweh had. You prob need to go back and look at the game logs.
4. Each teach is different. Each season is different. I'm confident that a coach whose job is on the line is going to be playing the kids that give the team the best chance to succeed.

1. there are almost undoubtedly things going on that we have no idea about and don't need to know about.
2. Oweh played a lot more early than Cooper did. Moser must think that Oweh was more ready than Cooper is this year.
3. I think you are vastly overstating that impact Marvin and Oweh had. You prob need to go back and look at the game logs.
4. Each teach is different. Each season is different. I'm confident that a coach whose job is on the line is going to be playing the kids that give the team the best chance to succeed.
I agree a coach plays the players he thinks give them the best chance to win. I just don’t think that means a coach always makes the right assessment. I’m good at my job but sure as hell not perfect. Why do we just assume coaches are?

Oweh started the last nine games and definitely upped the athleticism and provided some plays that pretty much no one else could last year. Averaged 8 or so per game. I think that’s an impact. Before that, he had played sparingly. Ten times, he played seven or fewer minutes, including against bad competition. I just have a hard time thinking that he wouldn’t have been able to help us more than, say, CJ Noland, in many of those games. This season, we are again getting bogged down and have had several games where two, three, and sometimes four guards are on the struggle bus. Would five minutes of Cooper have hurt us compared to what, say, Darthard gave us against TCU or Kansas?

Wasn't it a disciplinary issue with Marvin (and there may have been injuries at play, too--I can't recall for sure). If I'm right (about either of those points), he really shouldn't be included in this discussion. And why is it so hard to believe that Oweh improved over his first few months of DI practice and coaching from a raw high school star to a more seasoned freshman who was ready to contribute? As for you not being perfect at your job (neither am I), you might well feel (I would) that someone who hasn't been there to see you perform your job day in and day out is no position to judge your performance or your decisions.

I agree a coach plays the players he thinks give them the best chance to win. I just don’t think that means a coach always makes the right assessment. I’m good at my job but sure as hell not perfect. Why do we just assume coaches are?

Oweh started the last nine games and definitely upped the athleticism and provided some plays that pretty much no one else could last year. Averaged 8 or so per game. I think that’s an impact. Before that, he had played sparingly. Ten times, he played seven or fewer minutes, including against bad competition. I just have a hard time thinking that he wouldn’t have been able to help us more than, say, CJ Noland, in many of those games. This season, we are again getting bogged down and have had several games where two, three, and sometimes four guards are on the struggle bus. Would five minutes of Cooper have hurt us compared to what, say, Darthard gave us against TCU or Kansas?
I think a coach is going to be playing the right guy 9/10 times. Really the only time it comes into question is if you play to win now vs play to get experience for the future. Moser isn't in a position to play for the future

He also may just not be ready. I dont want everyone to get too hung up on it as if hes a golden cow that will win us games night in night out
I don't believe anyone is advocating for Cooper to play starter or even heavy reserve minutes. I would just like to see if he could provide an occasional spark similar to Oweh last year. The guy is athletic and by all available evidence (mostly from HS)....he has the ability to shoot/score. Maybe throw him in there for 3 minutes when you are buying another guard a breather or there is foul trouble. Candidly, I don't see much value that Northweather brings at this point when he is out there, but he seems to get a few minutes here and there. Again, if Cooper ends up being a disaster because he isn't ready yet.....so be it and he can sit, I just don't see the harm in giving a couple of minutes on occasion.

Wasn't it a disciplinary issue with Marvin (and there may have been injuries at play, too--I can't recall for sure). If I'm right (about either of those points), he really shouldn't be included in this discussion. And why is it so hard to believe that Oweh improved over his first few months of DI practice and coaching from a raw high school star to a more seasoned freshman who was ready to contribute? As for you not being perfect at your job (neither am I), you might well feel (I would) that someone who hasn't been there to see you perform your job day in and day out is no position to judge your performance or your decisions.
I'm sure Oweh did improve over four months of practice. I absolutely don't believe that he went from being so "unready" that he barely got off the bench to being so ready that he was a starter pretty much overnight. There should have been a period between where he was playing 12-15 minutes on a team that was less athletic than some men's rec league teams.

I guess the one question that no one on this board has answered is this: what possible harm could have come from giving Cooper 10+ minutes in blowout wins early in the season? I don't want to hear that Moser is coaching for his job. Winning a game by 22 instead of 30 if Cooper played like crap wouldn't cost him his job. And likewise, what would be the harm of throwing him out there midway through our dismal game in Ft. Worth to see if he could be a spark? Another comp that comes to mind is Weaver, the Texas freshman. His numbers were/are very modest, but he played really well against us and has since moved into the starting lineup. Kelvin said last week that he thinks he does a great job using his athleticism and was their best guard at disrupting Houston's offense. Cooper could be that gut for us, but unlike Weaver, he hasn't had a chance to show whether he can provide that in games.

I'm sure Oweh did improve over four months of practice. I absolutely don't believe that he went from being so "unready" that he barely got off the bench to being so ready that he was a starter pretty much overnight. There should have been a period between where he was playing 12-15 minutes on a team that was less athletic than some men's rec league teams.

I guess the one question that no one on this board has answered is this: what possible harm could have come from giving Cooper 10+ minutes in blowout wins early in the season? I don't want to hear that Moser is coaching for his job. Winning a game by 22 instead of 30 if Cooper played like crap wouldn't cost him his job. And likewise, what would be the harm of throwing him out there midway through our dismal game in Ft. Worth to see if he could be a spark? Another comp that comes to mind is Weaver, the Texas freshman. His numbers were/are very modest, but he played really well against us and has since moved into the starting lineup. Kelvin said last week that he thinks he does a great job using his athleticism and was their best guard at disrupting Houston's offense. Cooper could be that gut for us, but unlike Weaver, he hasn't had a chance to show whether he can provide that in games.
I was under the assumption Cooper had a minor procedure back in August. I could be wrong though. When cooper did get time early, he seemed to not be going all out, that could have related to injury. But if ready to go, should get some time. Give 5 minutes, if going well play more, if not he sits.

I was under the assumption Cooper had a minor procedure back in August. I could be wrong though. When cooper did get time early, he seemed to not be going all out, that could have related to injury. But if ready to go, should get some time. Give 5 minutes, if going well play more, if not he sits.
I wonder if an injury is the case too. It seems very odd that he isn’t playing yet and I wonder if he’s maybe just now 100%.

And the Marvin Johnson situation is very different. I actually distinctly remember an interview where Moser mentioned that Marvin Johnson approached Moser and wanted to watch film and started to take his defense more seriously. Then he started to see the court.

You may be thinking of Cole's injury.

Back