How about Mike Anderson? Was just Big East coach of the year

Brad Stevens wants to return to the college game.

I know this is probably sarcasm, but If that were true he would’ve taken the Indiana job. He’s not coming to OU.

Not sure what anyone has against Mike Anderson.

The main issue is that this is a yearly thread. He's done decent (not amazing) at several stops, and we could do worse. But he's also 61 years old, has never been to the Final Four, and he's only been to the Sweet 16 twice. He's never had any extended period of success, and I don't see any reason to expect him to have more success here than he did at Mizzou and Arkansas. I'm not one of Lon's burner accounts, but I think this would definitely be a downgrade for us.

Terry Evens and Nolan Richardson are calling Joe's office everyday and leaving messages. LOL

BigABD is good people iyam. Glad he is here. Don’t think Anderson is on our radar.

Anderson is definitely not on my radar. He’s a name from the past who rode on Nolan Richardson’s shirttail for some success of his own. I just don’t see him as a good fit for OU.

WF is right about ABD! I told you guys once he is a master thread starter. No one I know or have ever known is on his level. BigTime is close, but he’s busy playing Doctor (a real one) now and spending time with his family.

As WF said, ABD is serious about JUCO players. He believes he’s right and so do I...to a point. The days of building a team around juco recruits is over now. But there is nothing wrong with filling specific needs from time to time. Our coaches have not done a good job in identifying the best jucos available and showing them love early in the recruiting process. And, in the last few years the best juco players are on the rosters of the teams we play.

ABD is also good at making his case, more often than not on controversial topics. Thus, his threads are usually thought-provoking and interesting. He’s really good at getting some of you so riled up you’re ready to fight. I just smile and go my merry way because I know what he’s doing. Trust me, WaymanFan does, too. ;)

Think about it! This would be a boring place without Thebigabd!

Not only am I serious about juco players, but I am 100% right on that topic...

The recipe is:

Local HS talent
Regional juco talent
Regional (Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, etc) high school talent

We should have 4-6 junior college players on the roster at all times... The rest would be the best possible high school talent we can get.

If that happened, we would win 20+ games every year, be in the top 4 of the league pretty much every year, and be competitive for league championships.

Joe C needs to hire me as the recruiting czar at OU.

Last edited:
Anderson is definitely not on my radar. He’s a name from the past who rode on Nolan Richardson’s shirttail for some success of his own. I just don’t see him as a good fit for OU.

Name from the past? He was named Big East Coach of the Year THIS SEASON. He hasn't worked for Nolan Richardson in like 20 years.

Not only am I serious about juco players, but I am 100% right on that topic...

The recipe is:

Local HS talent
Regional juco talent
Regional (Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, etc) high school talent

We should have 4-6 junior college players on the roster at all times... The rest would be the best possible high school talent we can get.

If that happened, we would win 20+ games every year, be in the top 4 of the league pretty much every year, and be competitive for league championships.

Joe C needs to hire me as the recruiting czar at OU.

Or as a court jester for halftime shows.

I will say this.... the fact that we have a job opening at OU and Mike Anderson isn't even being contacted or interviewed perplexes me.

Roots in the area
Great coach
Good recruiter
Fun system
Has been recruiting this part of the country for a long time

And Joe C doesn't even talk to him and sends a SIX YEAR contract offer to Porter Moser...

Mike Anderson has NEVER had a losing season in 18 years

Porter Moser has had 5 losing seasons in 17 years.

Anderson has a 65% win percentage.

Porter Moser has a 54% win percentage.

Anderson was above .500 in every league he coached in.

Porter was 22-50 at Illinois State, and is exactly .500 at Loyola Chicago

When Anderson was coaching mid-major basketball (UAB) he won nearly 70% of his games.... went to 3 straight NCAA Tournaments... And won nearly 70% of CUSA games...

Anderson has been to 9 NCAA Tournaments

Porter has been to 2 NCAA Tournaments

Anderson has been National Coach of the Year

Porter has never been National Coach of the Year

Anderson has been conference coach of the year 3 times

Porter has been conference coach of the year 1 time.

This is an outrage.

Little easier to win at Arkansas, where Anderson was fired, and Missouri than where Moser has been. Also Moser only 2 NCAA Appearances as you say, produced a Final 4 and a sweet 16 (knocking off a #1 seed Illinois)...Anderson is still waiting to make the final 4.

I will say this.... the fact that we have a job opening at OU and Mike Anderson isn't even being contacted or interviewed perplexes me.

Roots in the area
Great coach
Good recruiter
Fun system
Has been recruiting this part of the country for a long time

And Joe C doesn't even talk to him and sends a SIX YEAR contract offer to Porter Moser...

Mike Anderson has NEVER had a losing season in 18 years

Porter Moser has had 5 losing seasons in 17 years.

Anderson has a 65% win percentage.

Porter Moser has a 54% win percentage.

Anderson was above .500 in every league he coached in.

Porter was 22-50 at Illinois State, and is exactly .500 at Loyola Chicago

When Anderson was coaching mid-major basketball (UAB) he won nearly 70% of his games.... went to 3 straight NCAA Tournaments... And won nearly 70% of CUSA games...

Anderson has been to 9 NCAA Tournaments

Porter has been to 2 NCAA Tournaments

Anderson has been National Coach of the Year

Porter has never been National Coach of the Year

Anderson has been conference coach of the year 3 times

Porter has been conference coach of the year 1 time.

This is an outrage.

No one besides joe c and Anderson know if he has been contacted. What’s his salary rn?

Little easier to win at Arkansas, where Anderson was fired, and Missouri than where Moser has been.

How do you figure? Both teams play most of their games against similar schools. Nobody in Loyola's conference has a definite advantage over them. Can you say the same about Arkansas or Missouri?

How do you figure? Both teams play most of their games against similar schools. Nobody in Loyola's conference has a definite advantage over them. Can you say the same about Arkansas or Missouri?

Mid majors usually play a hand full of p5 per year, as well. They also go against stronger programs in g5 non conference.

Mid majors usually play a hand full of p5 per year, as well. They also go against stronger programs in g5 non conference.

Go look at Loyola's schedule the past few seasons and tell me your comment applies to them at all. I counted about 5 teams that I'd expect them to lose to. They were not playing a bunch of tougher opponents.

They've also lost 16 conference games the last 4 seasons.

So you think the resources, facilities and recruiting budgets are equal b/w Missouri/Arkansas vs. Loyola Chicago.

Back