Interesting Gibson quote

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
Saw an article where he mentioned that going to the tournament is in OU’s DNA, strongly implying that was a big factor in his decision to come to Norman. This is an example of what players and coaches prioritize, so it just baffles me how many people downplay that factor and are apparently much more concerned about conference record. Again, to be clear for those who always like to misrepresent my argument: I’m not saying conference record is insignificant or that I’m ok with being in the bottom half of the league. What I am saying is that it isn’t nearly as important as making the tournament. I can promise you lots of high school players and transfers look up a school’s history of making the dance, and that very few will google Lon’s conference record over the past five years.

It's amazing that you don't understand that these two things are highly correlated.

There are a couple things OU does better than UNT.

Wichita, you have a bad habit of lecturing OU fans what their NCAA Tournament expectations should be. No question your expectations are lower than others, but that doesn't mean anybody is right or anybody is wrong.

Let's just enjoy the tournament; hope for a Round One W followed by an exciting /competitive Round Two game.

You definitely spend a lot of your time being baffled by OU fans and yelling back at them

It's amazing that you don't understand that these two things are highly correlated.

Lol odd since it seems the theory on this board is just the opposite. We suck in the conference, right? Yet we always make the tournament.

The painful reality of all this is that if UNT can hold on for 8 more minutes, they'll have secured an NCAA win without him.

Lol odd since it seems the theory on this board is just the opposite. We suck in the conference, right? Yet we always make the tournament.

LOL since north texas may have more tourney wins than OU this year.

I’m not quite sure what his quote means. But I am glad that on the eve of the tournament he didn’t say “darn, I wish I’d stayed at UNT”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not quite sure what his quote means. But I am glad that on the eve of the tournament he didn’t say “darn, I wish I’d stayed at UNT”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol...he just might depending on Sat night...lol

I kid...but UNT looked good.

Wichita, you have a bad habit of lecturing OU fans what their NCAA Tournament expectations should be. No question your expectations are lower than others, but that doesn't mean anybody is right or anybody is wrong.

Let's just enjoy the tournament; hope for a Round One W followed by an exciting /competitive Round Two game.

great response...

I actually think we can do both! in Conf and tournament

So North Texas wins their league, and is now in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament... And Gibson went from #1 or #2 there to #5 role player here.

Glad he's at OU, not sure it was the best decision for him personally though.

So North Texas wins their league, and is now in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament... And Gibson went from #1 or #2 there to #5 role player here.

Glad he's at OU, not sure it was the best decision for him personally though.

Again they had to win the conference tournament to get there & have some good seniors. At OU it’s almost a guarantee to make the tournament.

68 teams make the tournament every single year. We have the athletic department resources of a top 15 school in the nation. Making the tournament every year should be the absolute minimum expectation. It should be table stakes.

Back