What Is Your NCAA Tourney Seed Prediction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, we were never in this position under Lon. In his last few years, i.e., the ones people complain about, we were never worse than a 9 and we never entered selection Sunday in any danger of being sent to Dayton, let alone missing altogether. Second, if it had happened, that would have been a down year for him. For Porter, it would be his best season to date. See the difference?

9 seed would have been a pretty typical season for Lon outside of the Buddy years.

Here is a great blurb from Will Warren's paid blog:

"Who are the last four byes?​

This means the four teams in the field who AREN’T in the First Four. And boy I’ve got no clue.

My rule of thumb is as follows: if you’re in every single bracket of the Bracket Matrix AND above a 10 seed, you’re in. Exclude New Mexico from this screenshot, as they’re MWC champs, and you have to find five teams from a pack of nine to not be in the First Four.

We’re about to get the strangest First Four in history, but the teams that avoid it will almost exclusively be 9 seeds for the first time in history, too. Again, if you were doing this by resume alone Colorado, FAU, Virginia (not in the projected field), Mississippi State, and Northwestern would be the safe teams…but, well, I have no clue and neither do you.

Who are your First Four teams?​

Let’s repeat the above screenshot but add the actual first few out.

If you were truly ranking the field by strength of resume, the following nine teams would make the field of 68.

• Colorado (9 seed)
  • FAU (9 seed)
  • Virginia (9 seed)
  • Mississippi State (9 seed)
  • Northwestern (10 seed)
  • Texas A&M (10 seed, First Four)
  • Oklahoma (10 seed, First Four)
  • Colorado State (10 seed, First Four)
  • Indiana State (10 seed, First Four)
Which would lead to a truly bonkers week of discourse. Look at who wouldn’t be in that projected field: TCU, Michigan State, Seton Hall, Providence, and St. John’s. If you were ranking by Wins Above Bubble:

• Indiana State (9 seed)
  • Colorado (9 seed)
  • Northwestern (9 seed)
  • Colorado State (9 seed)
  • TCU (10 seed)
  • Virginia (10 seed, First Four)
  • FAU (10 seed, First Four)
  • Oklahoma (10 seed, First Four)
  • Seton Hall (10 seed, First Four)
Or they choose to order these teams by NET for the first time in modern history because they don’t know what else to do:

• Michigan State (9 seed)
  • Colorado (9 seed)
  • Indiana State (9 seed)
  • Mississippi State (9 seed)
  • St. John’s (10 seed)
  • Colorado State (10 seed, First Four)
  • FAU (10 seed, First Four)
  • Pittsburgh (!!) (10 seed, First Four)
  • TCU (10 seed, First Four)
Or they’re really into Torvik and they use the Resume Rankings:

• Providence (9 seed)
  • Seton Hall (9 seed)
  • Oklahoma (9 seed)
  • TCU (9 seed)
  • Colorado State (10 seed)
  • Mississippi State (10 seed, First Four)
  • Northwestern (10 seed, First Four)
  • Michigan State (10 seed, First Four)
  • St. John’s (10 seed, First Four)
I think through four different tools, we managed to get all of the plausible-ish 15 teams into the field for 9 spots. For your own sanity and mine, save the below image to your phone and use it as a checklist. I believe it’s printable, too. To be honest, I added Princeton just in case. It would be bonkers, but 24-4 is 24-4.

"

Let's look at some update brackets so far this morning...

As TEvans just posted, OU is listed in 95 out of the 103 reported/updated brackets.

Here's a list of the 8 people that left OU off their brackets and where they rank in the bracketmatrix:

Remember: Lunardi is ranked #98 and he's completely terrible...so I'll use him as my measuring stick, lol.

AMA bracketemology - #100
College Sports Madness - #143
Head vs Gut - #56
Power Sports - #146
Clutch Sports - not seeing them ranked.
M+J's Bracket Watch - #61
Robo Macketology - #19 in the Newbie category (55 listed)
VTS Bracketmaker - #58

So yeah, mostly meh.

Let's look at some update brackets so far this morning...

As TEvans just posted, OU is listed in 95 out of the 103 reported/updated brackets.

Here's a list of the 8 people that left OU off their brackets and where they rank in the bracketmatrix:

Remember: Lunardi is ranked #98 and he's completely terrible...so I'll use him as my measuring stick, lol.

AMA bracketemology - #100
College Sports Madness - #143
Head vs Gut - #56
Power Sports - #146
Clutch Sports - not seeing them ranked.
M+J's Bracket Watch - #61
Robo Macketology - #19 in the Newbie category (55 listed)
VTS Bracketmaker - #58

So yeah, mostly meh.
I don’t think all of the 103 brackets have been updated since the ACC and PAC12 games. NC State and Oregon only appear in 41 brackets so far.

I don’t think all of the 103 brackets have been updated since the ACC and PAC12 games. NC State and Oregon only appear in 41 brackets so far.
You're right. I worded that wrongly. Should have made a note that some are updated, some aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back