What Is Your NCAA Tourney Seed Prediction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.

And yet we competed well with the top 2 teams In the league…

Multiple things can be true at once… you are right on this. I believe the best game we played all year was the loss to UH. I thought we gave an A+ performance that night; I’d argue it was the most inspired effort in PMs three years. Insanely bad luck that Houston just so happened to be red hot shooting the ball. Really frustrating, but didn’t diminish for me what I felt was a stellar performance from the team. Opening game of B12 play v ISU was second on the high-mark list.

What bothered me and has bothered me for three years has been the total and complete inability to sustain a good outing. We followed up the Houston game with a truly listless effort in Ames. Is winning in Hilton tough? Yes, and I didn’t expect it. But the results that night were just terrible. A non-competitive, drab, lifeless output. Then we show some guts against Cincy and follow that up with another non-competitive effort against a UT team that isn’t all that great.

The issue for me this year was that 8-10 isn’t all that good on paper, but beyond that… the 8 were kind of a grind that felt like escapes… and the 10 were generally non-competitive. In other words, we were WAY closer to being 6-12 than were to being 11-7.

I honestly don’t know if the below average B12 results stem from a lack of talent or due to struggling to coach the talent. But either way, three years in, it’s on PM. To me, this is a moderately talented team. Nothing special but not an empty cupboard. I think the resume is probably pretty equivalent to the talent on hand. In other words, we’ve probably achieved about what the average coach would achieve with this roster. Which is all to say… meh.

I hope we get in, I hope we do well. It would change the entire narrative if we did.

If we don’t make the real first round, I don’t even consider it making the tourney.
I very much disagree with this. Most competitive players (former and current) would as well.

Every player on our team, if we get a play-in game, is playing for a tournament win. Regardless, it counts in every other statistical category as a game and win. Not in a person's mind if it is a win. This is not a soap box or high-horse argument that we are better than the play-in. This is March Madness. We get in, we get a win, that is a win.

Let's not move the goalposts back any further than most already have. Because if we get in and lose the play-in game, we won't hear the end of how bad of a loss it is. Unless a loss doesn't count either?

I very much disagree with this. Most competitive players (former and current) would as well.

Every player on our team, if we get a play-in game, is playing for a tournament win. Regardless, it counts in every other statistical category as a game and win. Not in a person's mind if it is a win. This is not a soap box or high-horse argument that we are better than the play-in. This is March Madness. We get in, we get a win, that is a win.

Let's not move the goalposts back any further than most already have. Because if we get in and lose the play-in game, we won't hear the end of how bad of a loss it is. Unless a loss doesn't count either?

I don’t think he’s saying a win wouldn’t count. Just that if they go to Dayton and LOSE that it’s then hard to say we reached the goal of making the Tournament.

Man I just read some of PM’s postgame comments from Wednesday and it’s more evident than I realized that Waldo and JM probably would have played had the team viewed it as a must-win. Moser clearly thought they were in, and was not even worried about having to play in Dayton. Just a massive miscalculation and completely unforgivable.

A lot less chest puffing tonight by the folks who two or three days ago were laughing at the mere thought we might have to go to Dayton, let alone miss the field. I’m sure they are getting their rants about the committee ready in case we miss out.
So, you’re telling me you predicted unprecedented madness this weekend?

I think you take the first 5 although in my fantasy world, I'd love to see Indiana State and Providence in the field over Michigan State and Texas A&M

So, you’re telling me you predicted unprecedented madness this weekend?
I mean, all you have to do is read my posts. I’ve said for over a month that our noncon was garage and could cost us if we end up on the bubble. I pointed out that we were awful in games against the field, especially away from home. And I said that we left ourselves open to missing the field or going to Dayton if other bubble teams played well and/or bids were stolen. And get out of here with saying it is unprecedented. Bids are stolen every year. It feels crazy to us right now because (a) we may be a casualty, and (b) three bids were stolen in about three hours. But bids get stolen every year. So it’s not exactly hard to predict that when you get curb stomped in the first round of the conference tourney four days after getting curb stomped in your regular season finale, you could drop several spots over the next 96 hours.

I agree.

And yet we competed well with the top 2 teams In the league…
Seriously.....that's your fall back.....at least we tried? This program is stagnant and it's that kind of attitude that is part of the reason we are in the predicament we are in. I'm so sick of the enabling bull**** that some of our fans will tolerate.....just to make themselves feel "better" or believe we can only do so much.

If we make the tournament....then great, but if we don't, then where are we headed? The trajectory of the program is in uncharted territory.....which should give all fans some pause.

The program has been stagnant (same record or worse) 15 out of the last 20 years across all coaches. 3 years with Buddy, 2 with Griffin, and otherwise mediocre to terrible post Hollis/Q till now. Its not the coach, the constant is the AD.

Seriously.....that's your fall back.....at least we tried? This program is stagnant and it's that kind of attitude that is part of the reason we are in the predicament we are in. I'm so sick of the enabling bull**** that some of our fans will tolerate.....just to make themselves feel "better" or believe we can only do so much.

If we make the tournament....then great, but if we don't, then where are we headed? The trajectory of the program is in uncharted territory.....which should give all fans some pause.
It’s not a fall back. I was responding to someone saying we couldn’t compete against the top 3 conference teams. That is patently false

If we don’t make the real first round, I don’t even consider it making the tourney.

Good grief. I'm guessing you wouldn't have made the same claim during Lon's last 5 mediocre-average years. And of course, your reason would be that he had those two really good seasons prior, so he's earned the right to those 5 mediocre years. There are only two colors here - black and white. We're either in or we're out. If we're in, we have a chance to make a run. Otherwise, it's NIT for the second time in three years. We would all hate that, no doubt. The one thing i do agree with you on is that I prefer 64 teams instead of 68 as well...but the addition of automatic bids would have reduced the at-large ones. These are the rules we live by.

I started this thread because I never thought we were on the bubble. As such, I have to own all the egg on my face if we don't get selected. This happened one other time in my life. If there were message boards in 1993, I would have started this very thread after we went into the Phog and beat Kansas. Then, a crazy set of circumstances ensued culminating with the lowest conference seed Missouri winning the automatic bid.

Good grief. I'm guessing you wouldn't have made the same claim during Lon's last 5 mediocre-average years. And of course, your reason would be that he had those two really good seasons prior, so he's earned the right to those 5 mediocre years. There are only two colors here - black and white. We're either in or we're out. If we're in, we have a chance to make a run. Otherwise, it's NIT for the second time in three years. We would all hate that, no doubt. The one thing i do agree with you on is that I prefer 64 teams instead of 68 as well...but the addition of automatic bids would have reduced the at-large ones. These are the rules we live by.

I started this thread because I never thought we were on the bubble. As such, I have to own all the egg on my face if we don't get selected. This happened one other time in my life. If there were message boards in 1993, I would have started this very thread after we went into the Phog and beat Kansas. Then, a crazy set of circumstances ensued culminating with the lowest conference seed Missouri winning the automatic bid.
First, we were never in this position under Lon. In his last few years, i.e., the ones people complain about, we were never worse than a 9 and we never entered selection Sunday in any danger of being sent to Dayton, let alone missing altogether. Second, if it had happened, that would have been a down year for him. For Porter, it would be his best season to date. See the difference?

The committee had 35 of the 36 at large already in their bracket yesterday, I believe we were one of the 35. I think we are in and may be surprised how safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back