Interesting quote from Capel....

Why is that so bad? We aren't the #17 team in the country, I think we all knew that. But we might be by the end of the year, of not better. That being said, even the #17 team might have lost a trap away game. This quote will motivate, which is the exact point. Why so negative, big?

I liked it. It was an honest statement. I think the team does have a high ceiling but it is potential at present.

Let's see where they are at in February.

Not a good sign....

I don't see it that way. Capel was just being honest.

Our poor shooting from the perimeter last night was definitely a surprise to me. But anyone who pretends to be bewildered by our defense or rebounding, was not paying attention to our discussions before the season began. Rebounding was a primary concern for nearly everyone here, and a number of posters, including me, said it may take this team several games to come together defensively.

It's not the end of the world. We're three games into the season, for crying out loud! We're starting two freshmen and a senior with very little experience. We're also bringing two more freshmen and an inexperienced sophomore off the bench. Did anyone really expect to see us pick up where we left off last year this early in the season? I sure didn't, and I said as much.

This team will get better. Give them time. It's also time to give the negativity a rest! I've seen enough the past few hours to last me for a while.

Why is that so bad? We aren't the #17 team in the country, I think we all knew that.

With all the Mcdonalds All-Americans and sleeper guys like Fitzgerald and Pledger I think most assumed OU was a top 20 team right away....

This quote will motivate, which is the exact point. Why so negative, big?

OU got hammered by a team that lost by 16 to Western Michigan. They havent played good all year. They are last place in the Big 12 in a lot of major categories. When they play good I will stop talking about the bad things. :)

Sure, I am hopeful for the future and am sure they will get better, but I am just talking about what has happened during the very early part of the year.

It's also time to give the negativity a rest!

Just quoting Coach Capel.

But anyone who pretends to be bewildered by our defense or rebounding, was not paying attention to our discussions before the season began. Rebounding was a primary concern for nearly everyone here, and a number of posters, including me, said it may take this team several games to come together defensively.

I think most were pretty optimistic, myself included...

Its a young team and we that follow basketball year round should know what that means, including erratic play. So much of the negative talk comes from some familiar posters(I'll leave it at that). Jeff will do his job with the hand he dealt and we need to be patient and not get too low or high for a couple of months. Like posting that TC should not start after one game. We know there is talent but we never know about chemistry this early in the season.

I agree ADA, it is getting old....

It shouldnt take a genius to understand this team has a ways to go...but continuing to speak negatively about them gets tiresome on a board like this, unless your whole reason for doing so is to get people riled up...which i think is the point...dont act like you dont know what you are doing when you write the things you do about players and the team...

College basketball doesnt make sense sometimes and comparing wins and losses with other teams wins and losses is a waste of time...whoever watched that game could tell that team was pretty good we played Sat night, whether they play that way the rest of the season or not cannot be predicted...

All i know is that was the biggest game of their programs history at home and that was the first road game for an untested, young team that has yet to find any type of identity...

I am just excited to watch the team game to game and see the improvments in these young players, WW included...was nice to see Crocker step up as a senior and lead the team, Cade as well...This will be a challenge for Capel because of the talent and expectations coming off of last year, but i think he'd like it to be that way...just means he has the players to get it done....

Maybe we can now realize that what we lost other than Blake, with Taylor Juan AJ and Leary was a pretty big blow for this program...IMO it wont take long though for the new nucleus to be better and learn how to compete, but that is what you get when you have freshmen that are your players you depend on...

All I have to say is that I expect more from Willie Warren...his performance last night was dreadful. You can call that negative or whatever, but he has to come to play every night, no excuse.

It shouldnt take a genius to understand this team has a ways to go...but continuing to speak negatively about them gets tiresome on a board like this, unless your whole reason for doing so is to get people riled up...which i think is the point...dont act like you dont know what you are doing when you write the things you do about players and the team...

:clap

College basketball doesnt make sense sometimes and comparing wins and losses with other teams wins and losses is a waste of time...whoever watched that game could tell that team was pretty good we played Sat night, whether they play that way the rest of the season or not cannot be predicted...

All i know is that was the biggest game of their programs history at home and that was the first road game for an untested, young team that has yet to find any type of identity...

I am just excited to watch the team game to game and see the improvments in these young players, WW included...was nice to see Crocker step up as a senior and lead the team, Cade as well...This will be a challenge for Capel because of the talent and expectations coming off of last year, but i think he'd like it to be that way...just means he has the players to get it done....

Maybe we can now realize that what we lost other than Blake, with Taylor Juan AJ and Leary was a pretty big blow for this program...IMO it wont take long though for the new nucleus to be better and learn how to compete, but that is what you get when you have freshmen that are your players you depend on...
Probably the best post made on this site since its inception. (I think sooner04's wrap-ups are first posted on the old espn site)

I actually prefer it when coach is honest about what he sees from his team.

Coach-speak is fine, but you can see through it if you look closely enough. What I like about Coach Capel is that he doesn't try to give a false sense of security; if he thinks the team isn't playing to their abilities, he is not going to yank people around or make us feel like we are some great team when we haven't proven that statement.

Now, we don't know what is being said behind the scenes, and that is good. I'm sure Coach Capel is letting his statements sink in with the guys. His statement just teems with a feeling of "we haven't earned that ranking yet."

I hope, and expect, the guys to rise to the occasion.

I actually prefer it when coach is honest about what he sees from his team.

Coach-speak is fine, but you can see through it if you look closely enough. What I like about Coach Capel is that he doesn't try to give a false sense of security; if he thinks the team isn't playing to their abilities, he is not going to yank people around or make us feel like we are some great team when we haven't proven that statement.

Now, we don't know what is being said behind the scenes, and that is good. I'm sure Coach Capel is letting his statements sink in with the guys. His statement just teems with a feeling of "we haven't earned that ranking yet."

I hope, and expect, the guys to rise to the occasion.

if you continue to say we haven't played well all year .. then you have 0 credibility ...

Just quoting Coach Capel.

I realize that, but you weren't "quoting Coach Capel" in the multiple negative threads and posts you have made since yesterday.

I'm just asking you, and anyone else who has been inclined to go overboard with the negativity the past few hours, to back off and give this team a chance to prove themselves. If what we saw last night, especially on defense, continues into conference play, I might be right there with you. :)

This is a very young team. Wright may be a senior, but he only averaged 8.1 minutes per game in a back up role last year. Ray saw limited action and sat out most of the season with disciplinary problems, so he's more like a redshirt freshman than a sophomore.

That leaves Willie, Tony and Cade as the only players on the team with any real experience. Anyone who didn't think this team would struggle early on was kidding themselves.

Yeah, ABD, how many threads like this are you going to start??? I count no less than 5 threads you have started on the front page alone that are all basically gloom and doom, "the end is nigh", type posts. We get it already. Insert photo of deceased horse being beaten. It almost seems like you are taking some sort of warped satisfaction in the fact that we've struggled so far this season. Move on already dude.

You're killin em today boy. Personally, the play of Gallon and Crocker is awesome.

Yeah, ABD, how many threads like this are you going to start??? I count no less than 5 threads you have started on the front page alone that are all basically gloom and doom, "the end is nigh", type posts. We get it already. Insert photo of deceased horse being beaten. It almost seems like you are taking some sort of warped satisfaction in the fact that we've struggled so far this season. Move on already dude.

beat_dead_horse2.jpg

And for the record, I happen to agree with Ada and can recall several posts to the effect of "Biggest Concerns Going into the Season". Team defense and rebounding were easily 1a and 1b among the posters here. Myself included. I think that with the all the pre-season hype and excitement it's easy to get caught up in things, and lose touch with reality and all realistic expectations. However, the complete lack of competent help/team defense does concern me, but unlike some I'm not ready to start freaking out quite yet. It's still November folks.

Your Sooners have some very good young talent but it will take a little time for them to adjust. Unfortunately for you guys the noncon schedule is brutal. The Key is Crocker and Warren. They must step up and carry the club until the others settle in. Warren has more unbridled talent then about any guard in the conference the only problem is consistency. It is a lot to ask a soph to be the main man. The sophmore slump seems to slap several players ie Jameson Curry. Crocker looks like he has all the tools to be the man on certain nights but he has never been consistent. I always have liked his athletic ability and thought he could be a beast someday. Is this the year who knows?

Back to Warren. There is no doubt in my mind that his talents could make him big 12 player of the year. The only thing in doubt is his mental ability to control games for his club. If he gets his mind right OU will be a tourney team if not nit.

Big you can talk about the early struggles all you want. Everyone can see that the team needs some work, but it seems like you're on here pointing out the negatives every five minutes. You have the right to do that. I just want you to be here when things are going good as well. You see the early part of the year isn't the only portion of the season. You have the middle of the season and the late part. Last year it seemed like when our team was having success you didn't post as much. This team has some very talented players. We're still putting the pieces together. Sooner or Later you'll have to talk about the positive aspects of the team. Let's just let the season play out. I have a very good feeling that things will get better for this team. It would sure be great to have you posting on the board when this turn of events happens. Enjoy your evening. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!! :clap

I loved this board when it first started. The negativity was at a minimum and it didn't seem like posters started fires just to get responses.

Didn't think it would last. And it hasn't.

Back