Iowa State adds Antwon Oliver to recruiting class

thebigabd

Reaction score
AMES, Iowa--Iowa State head men’s basketball coach Greg McDermott announced today that Antwon Oliver, a 6-5 guard from Racine, Wis., has signed a national letter of intent to play basketball at Iowa State beginning in the 2009-10 season.

Oliver, who will be a freshman next season, averaged 16.3 points and 6.4 rebounds while leading his Horlick (Racine, Wis.) High School team to the Division 1 state championship game in his senior season. Horlick finished the year with a 24-2 record. Oliver was a honorable mention all-state pick and a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel All-Area selection.

“Antwon is an extremely gifted athlete with the ability to play multiple positions,” McDermott said. ”He can score from the perimeter as well as slashing to the basket. We feel he can develop into an outstanding player.”

Oliver, who made 45 3-pointers last season, led his team in scoring in the state championship game with 13 points. He was rated as one of the top-10 players in the state of Wisconsin in the Class of 2009.

Oliver joins Marquis Gilstrap, Chris Colvin and LaRon Dendy as players who have signed letters of intent to play basketball at ISU next season.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46661&SPID=4252&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=3731220

AMES, Iowa--Iowa State head men’s basketball coach Greg McDermott announced today that Antwon Oliver, a 6-5 guard from Racine, Wis., has signed a national letter of intent to play basketball at Iowa State beginning in the 2009-10 season.

Oliver, who will be a freshman next season, averaged 16.3 points and 6.4 rebounds while leading his Horlick (Racine, Wis.) High School team to the Division 1 state championship game in his senior season. Horlick finished the year with a 24-2 record. Oliver was a honorable mention all-state pick and a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel All-Area selection.

“Antwon is an extremely gifted athlete with the ability to play multiple positions,” McDermott said. ”He can score from the perimeter as well as slashing to the basket. We feel he can develop into an outstanding player.”

Oliver, who made 45 3-pointers last season, led his team in scoring in the state championship game with 13 points. He was rated as one of the top-10 players in the state of Wisconsin in the Class of 2009.

Oliver joins Marquis Gilstrap, Chris Colvin and LaRon Dendy as players who have signed letters of intent to play basketball at ISU next season.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46661&SPID=4252&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=3731220

I like the Idea of this. He's a guy you can redshirt and have on the scout team. He's 6'5 which is good, and you can try him at some different positions if you redshirt him. I like the Idea of taking a chance on a kid like this who an be a David Goldbold type player as opposed to taking a shot on a juco that is a question mark.

I didn't know tye had LaRon Dendy. He was a very highly rated guy a few years back. OSU tried to get him and I think he actually signed with Clemson. Gives them a little size and verastility at the same time.

I like the Idea of this. He's a guy you can redshirt and have on the scout team. He's 6'5 which is good, and you can try him at some different positions if you redshirt him. I like the Idea of taking a chance on a kid like this who an be a David Goldbold type player as opposed to taking a shot on a juco that is a question mark.

Yep, seems like a nice pickup that they can redshirt.

I didn't know tye had LaRon Dendy. He was a very highly rated guy a few years back. OSU tried to get him and I think he actually signed with Clemson. Gives them a little size and verastility at the same time.

Dendy was a 4-star recruit out of high school, and signed with Clemson. He will give them a talented, athletic player to play alongside Craig Brackins.

bigger news, imo.

That is great news for Iowa State. He is an elite shooter.

Last edited:
big,

in every conference, someone has to suck. not everyone can be good. not everyone can challenge for conference hardware.

somebody, somewhere, will always suck. in the big 12, at least for right now, that somebody is iowa state.

big,

in every conference, someone has to suck. not everyone can be good. not everyone can challenge for conference hardware.

somebody, somewhere, will always suck. in the big 12, at least for right now, that somebody is iowa state.

Gee, thanks Flint... I thought they could squeeze all 12 teams in 1-6, and have the entire conference make the NCAA Tournament. It never occured to me that someone will finish 8-12 in a 12 team league.

Thank you for that detailed explanation of how the system works. Hell, we should sticky that to the top of the board so everyone else will know that some teams in the Big 12 won't be very good. I am sure everyone thinks all 12 will make the NCAA Tournament.

cookie-monster-diet.jpg

What determines if a team gets better is not the players coming in as much as the players coming back. Brackins, Garrett, and some of the other ISU players will be a good core for the incoming talent. I think they will be better.

Back