Is Brady Manek the steadiest player in recent memory?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Who was the last player to average double figures in scoring over an entire 4 year career? If he keeps this up, which he will, he will have to rank very highly all time in terms of starts, minutes played, points, etc.

I am trying to think of another player who came in and average double figures all 4 years of their playing career? Of course, Blake and Trae would have, but they didn't play 4 years.

Freshman Year
In 32 games (26 starts), averaged 10.2 points (ninth among Big 12 freshmen) and 5.2 rebounds (17th in Big 12, fourth among Big 12 freshmen) in 23.7 minutes

Sophomore Year
All-Big 12 Honorable Mention selection...Named to the Academic All-Big 12 First Team...With 741 career points to his name, he is just the 10th player in OU history to reach career 700 points by the end of a sophomore season...In 34 games (all starts), averaged 12.2 points (second on the team) and 5.9 rebounds (third) while shooting .469 from the field and .358 from behind the arc

quick search

jeff webster did it 4 years in a row 18/14/17/24 but webster was a rs frosh

Tim Mclaster did it 16/13/18/20 his 4 years

woodard missed it by 24 points as a soph 10/9/13/15

terry evans missed it by 36 9/11/10/14

crocker missed it by 42 9/11/10/11

al beal missed it by 27 points 9/12/13/11

aaron curry missed it by 20 points 9/11/10/15

Last edited:
quick search

jeff webster did it 4 years in a row 18/14/17/24 but webster was a rs frosh

Tim Mclaster did it 16/13/18/20 his 4 years

woodard missed it by 24 points as a soph 10/9/13/15

terry evans missed it by 36 9/11/10/14

crocker missed it by 42 9/11/10/11

al beal missed it by 27 points 9/12/13/11

aaron curry missed it by 20 points 9/11/10/15

So the only other players we know that did it was Jeff Webster and Tim Mclaster so far?

“Steady” isn’t a word that comes to mind when thinking of Manek.

Career .435 3P shooter at home, .298 away from home.

Very talented but wouldn’t call him steady.

I think steady and average go hand and hand.

Yes I'll take it. This year could be an improvement.

I think most shooters are better shooting at their home gym.

I just wish he'd add 1 element to his game. So far haven't seen him develop anything besides catch & shoot or a lob only out of a set.

He had a great first half of his freshman season. Since then he's been inconsistent. Time to step up and knock down shots every game. Last year we didn't have any scorers. Opposing teams could focus on stopping Manek. This year he should have lots of help and therefore won't be the defensive focus.
Would also like to see his demeanor on the court improve. He doesn't need to react so poorly every time something doesn't go his way.

If he'd just smile more, he could be a first-team All-American!

T-Mac: the most underrated player in the history of Sooner Basketball!

I'm think this is a big opportunity for Brady to take a massive step forward. My only criticism of him the last few years is precisely this. He has tended to disappear in some big games, especially on the road.

I think that's not surprising given his youth. But he's a 2 year starter/junior now. If he can mature and be consistently good in every game, all season, I think he's going to elevate from being what most people consider to be a good "steady" player into real stardom. He has that sort of ability.

I'm think this is a big opportunity for Brady to take a massive step forward. My only criticism of him the last few years is precisely this. He has tended to disappear in some big games, especially on the road.

I think that's not surprising given his youth. But he's a 2 year starter/junior now. If he can mature and be consistently good in every game, all season, I think he's going to elevate from being what most people consider to be a good "steady" player into real stardom. He has that sort of ability.

This is why I found his dad's interview during the exhibition game telling. From his comments, you can tell that Brady knows that consistency is something he needs to improve, and he also specifically mentioned the need to develop a more varied offensive game. Now it's time to put that into action.

This is why I found his dad's interview during the exhibition game telling. From his comments, you can tell that Brady knows that consistency is something he needs to improve, and he also specifically mentioned the need to develop a more varied offensive game. Now it's time to put that into action.

I think we are seeing him do this as we speak. Point being in years past if he went 0-5 from 3 point land could he still score 16 points as he did in the opener? I doubt that ever happened. He was able to score in the post and free throw line to still salvage a decent game without hitting an outside shot.

T-Mac: the most underrated player in the history of Sooner Basketball!

You or some of the others may be able to help me recall whether my memory of the 1987 game in Lawrence is correct -- I seem to recall T-Mac having a shot at, or right before, the buzzer that would have tied or won the game. IIRC, it was the first of approximately 200 times I have had my heart broken in Allen Fieldhouse.

steady? I know steady as consistent and I won't call Manek that yet.

I think we are seeing him do this as we speak. Point being in years past if he went 0-5 from 3 point land could he still score 16 points as he did in the opener? I doubt that ever happened. He was able to score in the post and free throw line to still salvage a decent game without hitting an outside shot.

this is an exellent point

I agree. He seems very hot and cold. I wouldn't call him steady either. I bet he is this year though.

It was only one game, but I saw a noticeable improvement in his footwork in the paint on a couple of occasions. It appears to me he has been working on a low post move or two. The next step in that process is the ability to finish around the rim consistently.

It was only one game, but I saw a noticeable improvement in his footwork in the paint on a couple of occasions. It appears to me he has been working on a low post move or two. The next step in that process is the ability to finish around the rim consistently.

Different player but on the topic of finishing at the rim -- someone mentioned a while back that Harmon might be better at that than any guard we have had in a long time. So far, so good on that front. His strength helps in that regard, but I have heard a lot of ESPN guys lately mention how many guys miss contested layups because they take their eyes off the rim when they know they are about to get hit. Being able to convert an extra couple layups a game would be huge.

He's not the most steady on this team, but he might be in the running for least steady now that CJ, RO, and Muni are gone.

One of the softest players in recent history.

Back