Is OU a "system" basketball program?

thebigabd

Reaction score
In order for OU to sustain success do they have to have a coach with a particular system, and recruits are chosen specific to that system?

The system under Tubbs was unique, and he found players who could play that style. He went to other schools and implemented his style with success as well.

Sampson was definitely a "system" coach.... He used to reference finding guys to fill roles instead of taking best available player. He needed some shooters, some rebounders, a slasher or two.... And mostly guys who would leave it all on the floor every night...

Capel, being a Duke guy, didn't have a system. He tried to get best available player and build around those strengths... Blake Griffin bailed him out but ultimately he wasn't able to get enough talent to succeed... Struck out too much and had to take guys at the last minute...

Enter Lon.... A coaching veteran who is also kind of a journeymen.... For all his success, it's weird that he's been head coach all over the place. You'd think he would be the type of guy that built a legacy somewhere.

You can see by last year's team and this year's that he really isn't a "system" guy either.... He recruits best available player and designs how that team is going to play. This year it's pick and roll with TY... Two years ago it was the Buddy Hield show... His last season at UNLV it was the Javon Adams show.

You can't look at Lons teams and recognize a style from year to year....

Lon goes to a struggling program and rebuilds it. He has a few successful seasons and then moves on. We'll see how the season finishes but it might be time for him to move on.

It should be. Many schools compete in football with systems as well. If you can’t continually recruit top athletes you have to find ways to compete.

I am of the belief that Sampson’s system was best for OU to compete because it stressed defense and non-elite recruits can still play defense. It was just too boring for a lot of people in years when we didn’t have Hollis.

Tubbs’ system required an elite recruit in Tisdale to get it started followed by some good recruits and JUCO guys. But it was always going to be difficult to maintain that system at OU.

I agree that Lon doesn’t have the consistent system but he does have a consistent style. It is a free and loose offensive system without a lot of movement and with some screens for the star player de jour. Defense is man with switching and has had better years than this year but it has always seemed to be an after thought to me. We have had some better defensive players in some years to make up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lon goes to a struggling program and rebuilds it. He has a few successful seasons and then moves on. We'll see how the season finishes but it might be time for him to move on.

LOL.

TIME TO FIRE LON?

Hottake of the Day!

Lon goes to a struggling program and rebuilds it. He has a few successful seasons and then moves on.

If you look at his past, he is full of kind of "hit and miss" seasons. It's like he builds these teams up to have one shot at something "big", then the team falls apart and has to start over again.

I think Lon is VERY good at certain things relating to being a good basketball coach. That said, I don't think he is a good game day coach. He almost has that Capel mentality of I'm going to run this system/style, I'll teach the heck out of it during practice, but once the season and games start, very little in the way of adjustments or tailoring things to the talent/players that he actually has.

LOL.

TIME TO FIRE LON?

Hottake of the Day!

Fire Coach Kruger? No. However, if things continue to fall apart, he should be highly encouraged to shake up his staff. Anyone who doesn’t think a top-notch assistant can have such a dramatic effect on a program, I have two words for u: “Bo” and “Overton”.

Fire Coach Kruger? No. However, if things continue to fall apart, he should be highly encouraged to shake up his staff. Anyone who doesn’t think a top-notch assistant can have such a dramatic effect on a program, I have two words for u: “Bo” and “Overton”.

So this is on the assistant coaches? Shake up the staff? Lol fire assistant coaches the ones that got TY here? Or just his son?

If you believe that not sure I can help.

Man it’s hard to come to this board anymore.

Because the nonsense.

A team struggles after being top 20 all year and still currently but the solution is fire Lon his son crutch and start over.

Did we ditch buddy’s final 4 year because we struggled? We didn’t win the conference. We looked awful at times.

It’s the OU football mentality fire them all. It’s annoying. To me it’s lack of loyalty, shows character of the person, yes I know it’s just a message board.

When adversity hits, what do you do?

Which coach are you firing?

Because the nonsense.

A team struggles after being top 20 all year and still currently but the solution is fire Lon his son crutch and start over.

Did we ditch buddy’s final 4 year because we struggled? We didn’t win the conference. We looked awful at times.

It’s the OU football mentality fire them all. It’s annoying. To me it’s lack of loyalty, shows character of the person, yes I know it’s just a message board.

You do realize this same staff without trae, who is maybe the best player OU history, lost 20 games last year. What makes you think next year will be much different when he is gone?

You do realize this same staff without trae, who is maybe the best player OU history, lost 20 games last year. What makes you think next year will be much different when he is gone?

I get that. Ou last year was a perfect storm. So many close loses.

I’d say manek a year older, Plus everyone is back minus Lattin and transfers.

We won’t be top of the big 12 but we won’t be 20 losses!

Because the nonsense.

I never said anyone should be fired.... I posted a legitimate question about if OU would be better off for consistent success if they were a "system" school.... Played and recruited a particular style.

I get that. Ou last year was a perfect storm. So many close loses.

I’d say manek a year older, Plus everyone is back minus Lattin and transfers.

We won’t be top of the big 12 but we won’t be 20 losses!

We are going to be bad next year. Who is going to play point?

I never said anyone should be fired.... I posted a legitimate question about if OU would be better off for consistent success if they were a "system" school.... Played and recruited a particular style.

I tHink a good coach adapts to his team.

Having the same system over and over isn’t always a good thing

I think Lon likes the fast pace and good athletes. I would change some things as would most of us. But you have to play to your kids strengths

I tHink a good coach adapts to his team.

Having the same system over and over isn’t always a good thing

I think Lon likes the fast pace and good athletes. I would change some things as would most of us. But you have to play to your kids strengths

How are we doing that this year? Not exerting any effort on D to save energy for offense? Lol

Shepherd or grad transfer

We played our best with him in the game.

I’ve been tough on him...

Shepherd played some solid defense yesterday, which we needed. But the only points he scored were wide open layups that Trae facilitated. He really didn't do much. That's fine as a role player along side a ball-dominant player like Trae, but Jordan Shepherd, to this point in his career, hasn't looked remotely close to a big xii caliber starting PG.

So this is on the assistant coaches? Shake up the staff? Lol fire assistant coaches the ones that got TY here? Or just his son?

If you believe that not sure I can help.

You dang straight this is on the assistant coaches! While Coach Kruger is ultimately responsible, he has to depend on his staff to take care of the day to day coaching duties.

We know what Kruthfield can do, so the one who recruited TY and a host of quality players before him is off the hook as far as I’m concerned. The question is, what have the others done to develop players, improve our defense in practice and, above all, recruit better players to the program?

I like Jamal Bieniemy. But, I’m having a hard time getting on board with a juco player who seems to be anything but a finished product. I’m also having a hard time understanding why the staff had to settle for another project ( two if you count Polla) on the heels of a final four run two years ago? Maybe they will work out. I sure hope so. I’ll be happy to take my lumps eating crow if they do. I’m just not convinced the staff couldn’t have done better if they were doing a good job.

Guess I’m just tired of keeping my opinion to myself and pretending everything is okay when it’s not. If my honesty brands me as a naysayer or a troublemaker, so be it!

Back