Is Reid Gettys the Dumbest Color Guy Ever?

steverocks35

Reaction score
Time after time last night he made asinine, uninformed or just plain dumb remarks. Just gave me a headache after a while.

i think you mentioned it in the game thread about how, down 3, he said tmg really could've have cut to the basket on tiny's pass, but did the right thing by flaring out to the 3-point line.

possibly the dumbest suggestion an announcer has ever made.

i think you mentioned it in the game thread about how, down 3, he said tmg really could've have cut to the basket on tiny's pass, but did the right thing by flaring out to the 3-point line.

possibly the dumbest suggestion an announcer has ever made.

i remember that...All night he had been criticizing early shots and 3 pt shots but when one is made it was an excellent decision. I think he had a hardon for the refs too

The three free throw comment on the 75 foot pass was what got me. I think he needs a 10 second delay so they can cover all the dumb stuff he says.

I think if there is a hell the TV will be tuned to a non-stop loop of a basketball game featuring this set of officials and announcers.

You have to say this for Gettys - he is consistent. Consistently bad.

I almost forgot the ridiculous "he had his wrist c0cked so there is continuation" comment.
I about fell out of my chair laughing at that bit of ridiculous drivel.

One of my wife's co-workers (A&M fan) said....was it me, or did it sound like we listened to the A&M broadcast last night. That is saying something IMO.

And yes, the "wrist ****ed" comment was beyond ridiculous. He took at least 1 and maybe 2 dribbles after the whistle blew

He is a joke, and honestly I really cannot stand Doug Bell much either. These guys are 1990s announcers calling a 2010 game. They provide very little true commentary, and it gets old very quickly.

On another note, did anyone think the view from the feed was odd. It seemed to be too zoomed in. It is either that or I am too comfortable with watching HD constantly. Wish the game would have been on ESPNU.

:tinypower

It almost seemed like Gettys was tying himself up in knots trying to justify every single call the officials made.

Yes he was cursed by me as well last night, what a M0ron

Or the comment "I bet Jeff Capel wishes he had that timeout he called at the 3:57 mark back now" when we were down 3 with 3+ seconds left. Hey brain surgeon...Capel doesnt call that timeout, he doesnt get Willie in the game at that point, which would mean that 2 Willie scored after that timeout would have never happened...therefore we would have been down 5 instead of 3.

Or the comment "I bet Jeff Capel wishes he had that timeout he called at the 3:57 mark back now" when we were down 3 with 3+ seconds left. Hey brain surgeon...Capel doesnt call that timeout, he doesnt get Willie in the game at that point, which would mean that 2 Willie scored after that timeout would have never happened...therefore we would have been down 5 instead of 3.

I was glad Capel called that TO and I said we should before he even called it. We were GASSED! It gave us a breather with the TO and for the tv TO.

Reid Gettys played and lives in Houston. He was obviously cheering hard for A&M. The worse the home cooked calls were vs OU the more he emphatically praised the officials for making a "correct call".

Just another example of why you should despise everything about that pathetic state.

I thought both announcers were terrible. I was frustrated with some (alot) of the calls, but to put up with those shumb dits made it unbearable. Hopefully, we won't get them again.

I thought both announcers were terrible. I was frustrated with some (alot) of the calls, but to put up with those shumb dits made it unbearable. Hopefully, we won't get them again.

Yeah, I keep thinking of dumb things they said. When Crocker picked up his 5th foul Doug Bell actually announced it was Tiny who had fouled and was out of the game even though he only had 3 fouls at the time. I was thinking "WTF?" (I had no idea Crocker was even in the play). They immediately went to commercial break and we were left scratching our heads wondering what the hell was going on.

Last edited:
Yeah, I keep thinking of dumb things they said. When Crocker picked up his 5th foul Doug Bell actually announced it was Tiny who had fouled and was out of the game even though he only had 3 fouls at the time. I was thinking "WTF?" (I had no idea Crocker was even in the play). They immediately went to commercial break and we were left scratching our heads wondering what the hell was going on.

That was a horrible call. The ref who made the call had no view of the play. Crocker was between him and the ball. It was impossible for the ref to see if it was a clean strip or there was contact. Road games in the Big XII are totally rigged.

Watch and see how Baylor gets hosed tonight.

Back