Is Willie Warren a volume shooter?

Is Willie a volume shooter?

• Total voters

thebigabd

Reaction score
Lots of expectations for Willie this year, but there are still some question marks with him leading the team and being the primary option.

He will have big numbers, but my question is will he do that and still get everyone involved? Or will he take lots of bad shots (which he did when Blake was out) and shoot OU in and out of games?

Issue or no?

I hope he doesn't take a ton of shots; I think he will play within the offense. I hope he doesn't try to help his draft stock by shooting a ton!

He did a great job last year because OU was feeding Griffin. The interesting thing will be if he gets frustrated by others not making shots and try to do to much. He had great shooting %'s last year which will likely go down just by having to carry a bigger load, he may resemble Sherron Collins from last year in terms of the team needing him to shoulder a heavier scoring load.

To answer the question is Willie Warren a volume shooter, at this point you have to say no. He wasn't last year.

When I think of a volume shooter I think of somebody like Allen Iverson that takes 25 shots every night and only makes 10 of them. A guy that shoots a ton but doesnt shoot a good %. Last year WW was neither of those.

This year could be different, but so far I'd say no.

When I think of a volume shooter I think of somebody like Allen Iverson that takes 25 shots every night and only makes 10 of them.

10-20 against Texas...
8-16 against Kansas...

These are the two games without Blake, and while they were both losses it wasnt because of Willie. If he is going to make 50% from the field it wont be a problem.

However, the problem would be that he is going to take 17, 18, 19, 20, or more shots a lot this year in my opinion... He is going to have 6-20 from the field nights, and he is going to have 12-20 from the field nights.

Thats why I voted yes, because I see him taking a lot of shots and having hot and cold nights....

Or will he take lots of bad shots (which he did when Blake was out) and shoot OU in and out of games?

Issue or no?

Bad shots... shooting 50% for both games against TU & KU and 50% from downtown (9 of 18) is taking bad shots. I will take those performance everyday of the week. He was awesome in those two games.

:willie

10-20 against Texas...
8-16 against Kansas...

These are the two games without Blake, and while they were both losses it wasnt because of Willie. If he is going to make 50% from the field it wont be a problem.

However, the problem would be that he is going to take 17, 18, 19, 20, or more shots a lot this year in my opinion... He is going to have 6-20 from the field nights, and he is going to have 12-20 from the field nights.

Thats why I voted yes, because I see him taking a lot of shots and having hot and cold nights....

I don't think it is too hard to see why he took that many shots in those games. He had to. I don't think he will this year. Scoring will not be a problem for this team.

I think you are reaching with this one....

Bad shots... shooting 50% for both games against TU & KU and 50% from downtown (9 of 18) is taking bad shots. I will take those performance everyday of the week. He was awesome in those two games.

:willie

See my post above.... I pointed out the 2 games against Blake, and how they werent problems.

He did take bad shots in those games though.. I remember a 3 he made from about half-court. That is one of those shots he will make 1 of 20 times but it went in. He takes those kinds of shots but nobody noticed last year because Blake was on the team.

It may be an issue this year, or it may not. Hopefully not.

I don't think it is too hard to see why he took that many shots in those games. He had to. I don't think he will this year. Scoring will not be a problem for this team.

I think you are reaching with this one....

He is going to have the ball in his hands a lot more this year... I dont think its a reach to wonder if he will take tons of shots.

I dont have a problem with him taking 16-20 shots like he did in those games without Blake, but I see him as the type that can shoot you in and out of games.

He is going to have the ball in his hands a lot more this year... I dont think its a reach to wonder if he will take tons of shots.

I dont have a problem with him taking 16-20 shots like he did in those games without Blake, but I see him as the type that can shoot you in and out of games.

He had the ball a lot in his hands last year. For the two games that you mentioned, I can name a bunch more where he didn't force it. Those two games were outliers. The team didn't have time to prepare for life without Blake, as he got hurt during the first half of the Texas game, and then turned around and played KU two nights later on Big Monday. Willie did what he had to do.

My point is that this year will be different then those two games that you mentioned without Blake. We have added two more legit scorers, and we still have Crock. I also think this team will shoot better as a unit.

Again, you are reaching.

Andrea Riley is a 'volume shooter'. I don't think Willie even comes close - and that's a good thing..

I think the answer to your question is that it really doesn't bother me that much. I think you will be surprised at the way our guards as a group shoot the ball. If Tony, TMG, Cade, Ray, and Steve make shots consistently. The burden will be taken off of Willie. That's five guys that can shoot the basketball. Like every season the question is how consistent can these guys be shooting the ball. I think we will shoot better than some may think. It will be fun watching this group. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:crocker:ray:tmg:pledge:cade

Lots of expectations for Willie this year, but there are still some question marks with him leading the team and being the primary option.

He will have big numbers, but my question is will he do that and still get everyone involved? Or will he take lots of bad shots (which he did when Blake was out) and shoot OU in and out of games?

Issue or no?

Willie has the ability to score in a variety of ways. Some of the shots he takes may be ill-advised, but he most are shots he's capable of making due to his unique skills. In every game I've seen, including three his senior year at Crawley, he worked hard to get his teammates involved, before taking it on himself to put points on the board, and only then when the team needed him to score.

Somewhere along the line he developed the reputation for being selfish offensively. But, I have yet to see that player. If anything, he's too unselfish. He's the consummate team player; one who plays within the offense, defends, defers to his teammates when they're open for shots, yet takes the team on his shoulders and finds a way to score, when necessary. IMO, this is nothing to be concerned about.

There isn't one good answer.

Willie is a smart player being coached by a smart coach.
There may be games where he shoulders the offense in the latter part of a game to win it. He did that to win the state championship in high school. When a game is on the line, he may be called upon to do that again.

I really think that is where all this inaccurate reputation of being selfish came from. When Willie was called upon in high school to take a game over, he could do it and did. In the championship game, however, he was distributing the ball all around and really didn't score that much until later in the game. Nonetheless, what got remembered was that he shot a lot and scored a lot, thus he is selfish.

There isn't one good answer.

Willie is a smart player being coached by a smart coach.
There may be games where he shoulders the offense in the latter part of a game to win it. He did that to win the state championship in high school. When a game is on the line, he may be called upon to do that again.

I really think that is where all this inaccurate reputation of being selfish came from. When Willie was called upon in high school to take a game over, he could do it and did. In the championship game, however, he was distributing the ball all around and really didn't score that much until later in the game. Nonetheless, what got remembered was that he shot a lot and scored a lot, thus he is selfish.

Bingo.

Give me a break..on a 6 for 20 night, how many times does he get to the line? I would say 6 to 8 free throws a night. If his shot ain't falling he will still score points and it doesn't matter anyways, cuz he will be looking to create as much as score. He knows he needs to get his team involved if OU wants to do big things. I bet he keeps his shooting % close to the same as last year. he'll just get more shots this year. I could see 24points, 5assist, 4rebs and at least a steal a game.

It totally makes sense that Warren is going to be the focal point of defenses this year and he is going to be handling much more of the scoring load with Blake gone. TMG and Gallon aren't going to produce what Blake, Taylor, and AJ did right away. He will need to take more shots and his %'s might go down. I don't know that it makes him a volume shooter, though.

WW got a ton of open shots due to Blake last year and those will be gone this year.

Back