Juco impact is strong at OU this year

thebigabd

Reaction score
Two starters.... best two athletes on the team.

Alondes Williams averaging 8 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists per game.
Kur Kuath averaging 10 points points, 5 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks per game.

In their second year in the program both are significantly ahead of Issanza, Garang, Hill, Gibson, and we will see on Victor....

This is exactly why you recruit junior colleges hard... There have been some whiffs, for sure, like Taz Sherman averaging 12 a game at WVU this year and shooting 50% from 3... He was right down the road from OU and they didn't even offer him. Now he's a big contributor on a top 15 team.

Mistakes aside, I am glad Alondes and Kuath play for OU. They are both very exciting players who fit in well.

I predict Alondes especially will hit another gear soon.

In their second year in the program both are significantly ahead of Issanza, Garang, Hill, Gibson, and we will see on Victor....

This is exactly why you recruit junior colleges hard... There have been some whiffs, for sure, like Taz Sherman averaging 12 a game at WVU this year and shooting 50% from 3... He was right down the road from OU and they didn't even offer him. Now he's a big contributor on a top 15 team.

Mistakes aside, I am glad Alondes and Kuath play for OU. They are both very exciting players who fit in well.

I predict Alondes especially will hit another gear soon.

Be prepared. Be very prepared.

Roger that.....

Oh, for what?

Being coy are you? You know durn well someone will chime in with a "not again" and I could pull some names out of the hat as shoe ins for such a response. While we're at it challenge the wifey to a snow ball fight.

Juco recruiting is as it should be, 2 every 2-3 years.

I SOOOO miss the juco recruiting from the 80's/90's!! There was SO MUCH talent in the juco ranks in those days...especially in Kansas!! Tubbs made a living on them!

Alondes has plenty of dog in him, great for the team. Kur's 3rd year but if he can continue to impress in February he will prove me wrong again. I like the occasional juco in early signing.

Unfortunately, there’s not a very deep talent pool in juco anymore. Most kids go to prep schools that get them “eligible” for college. The juco talent has thinned greatly since the glory days of the 80’s and 90’s.

And I would contend that it's our reliance on this type of player(s) that keeps us in the middle of the conference pack yearly.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there’s not a very deep talent pool in juco anymore. Most kids go to prep schools that get them “eligible” for college. The juco talent has thinned greatly since the glory days of the 80’s and 90’s.

yup... my thought exactly.

These two would have to be All-Conference to validate the amount of time and scholarships we've wasted on JUCOs since Sampson left.

Meh. Take some flyers now and again, sure. Alondes also about got booted last year right? Even when you actually find a decent one, half the time they get booted or dont make the grades (juan patillo could have been a monster).

We do not need an increase in juco recruits.. remember lazenby? Good kid, but a NEO-tonkawa or NEO-enid player should almost 99.8% never be on the ou roster on scholarship.

Some of you aren't good with logic. Pointing out the JUCO misses doesn't mean anything, b/c we have A LOT of high school kids that miss as well.

If we could do a better job of evaluating JUCO's and getting in on the good ones, that would definitely be a positive for the program. Those and transfers are going to remain a must, b/c Lon doesn't recruit the HS ranks well enough to not need them.

And if the JUCO world isn't "beneath" OU football, it really shouldn't be beneath our basketball program either. Our best RB is a JUCO kid. Our best interior DL is a JUCO. Probably one of our better DB's is a JUCO that got hurt and isn't playing.

Some of you aren't good with logic. Pointing out the JUCO misses doesn't mean anything, b/c we have A LOT of high school kids that miss as well.

If we could do a better job of evaluating JUCO's and getting in on the good ones, that would definitely be a positive for the program. Those and transfers are going to remain a must, b/c Lon doesn't recruit the HS ranks well enough to not need them.

And if the JUCO world isn't "beneath" OU football, it really shouldn't be beneath our basketball program either. Our best RB is a JUCO kid. Our best interior DL is a JUCO. Probably one of our better DB's is a JUCO that got hurt and isn't playing.

Excellent points, WT. It is all about talent EVALUATION (and development, of course). Always has been that way. We got to the Final Four in 2016 because Lon and staff developed a bunch of borderline top-150 players. We got to the 2002 Final Four because Kelvin surrounded his first top-50 signee with a bunch of JUCO puzzle pieces...and the best OU team of all time, 1988, had to replace three 4-year starters. While one was a JUCO stud (Blaylock), the other two were already on the roster - one was a redshirt senior and the "afterthought" of the greatest OU recruiting class of all time (1983), Dave Sieger. The other was a solid HS recruit, but an under-achieving center who averaged 7 PPG as a sophomore - Stacey King.

Please mention the post-Sampson JUCO hits that compare to Trae, Blake, Buddy, etc., Mr Logic.

Please mention the post-Sampson JUCO hits that compare to Trae, Blake, Buddy, etc., Mr Logic.

Ridiculous post. I don't believe there has been, or ever will be, a JUCO #1 draft pick or a D1 Player of the Year. You'll correct me if I'm wrong.

If I was head coach at OU we would have the following roster this season:

PG: Alonzo Verge (6'2'' 170) - Pac12 6th man of the year in 2019 for Arizona State. Averaging 15 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists per game in first year out of junior college. Came out of Juco in Kansas with no OU interest or offer.

SG: Mason Jones (6'5'' 200) - National All-American and SEC 1st Team. SEC Player of the Year. JUCO TRANSFER from Connors State in OKLAHOMA. No interest or offer from Oklahoma. Currently playing at Arkansas.

SG: Taz Sherman (6'4'' 190) - Averaging 12 ppg on 50% 3pt shooting for a top 15 West Virginia team this year. JUCO TRANSFER from Collin College in the Dallas area. No interest or offer from Oklahoma.

PF: Brady Manek (6'9' 230) - All Big 12 player. Averaging 18 a game. From Harrah, OK.

PF: Kur Kuath (6'10'' 220) - Averaging 10 and 5 as a senior. Juco transfer from Utah

Bench:
SG - Alondes Williams (Juco transfer from Illinois)
SG - Trey Phipps (freshman from Booker T. Washington in Tulsa)
PG - Devion Harmon (sophomore from Denton, TX)
PF - James Rojas (Juco transfer from Kansas, currently at Alabama)
SF/PF - Trey Wade (Juco transfer from Texas, currently at Wichita State)
C - Emmanual Ugboh (7'0'' center, juco transfer, currently at Tulsa. Mop up player)

The following players would likely not be at OU under me:

Anyang Garang (I wouldn't recruit Australia)
Rick Issanza (I wouldn't recruit major projects to 4-5 year scholarships)
Elijah Harkless
Austin Reaves
Umoja Gibson
Josh O'Garro

Not because they aren't good, they just probably wouldn't have been recruited by me. They are plenty good, just not on my radar.

Local stars.... local junior college talent.. Go outside of that if/when I have to. We had All Pac 12, All-Americans, etc within a stones throw of campus the past couple of years and didn't even notice. But we noticed players in Australia.

Yep.

If OU wanted these players, it could have them. Don't tell me they wouldn't come to OU. Of course they would.

I was just asking myself what our team would look like if abd were our coach instead of that hack Kruger. Thanks, abd!

Back