Kruger attacks and the disappointment of the season....

NorthCarolinaSooner

Reaction score
I know a lot of people who come on this board were disappointed OU didn't make the post season and generally how the season ended. I would hope that most of you are actually level headed enough to be patient and wait another year or two before getting really antsy and continuing any heavy bashing of the coaching, etc.

The biggest thing about college basketball (and basketball in general) is having talent. There is a lot of truth to the statement that "Great players make great coaches" and the team that Kruger was left with, although it had SOME talent, wasn't very deep and was lacking talent in some areas.

A lot of you know I coach college basketball (albeit at the small school, non-scholarship level) and we play a tough schedule that includes a couple of NCAA DI teams every year and several NCAA DII schools every year. It is a new program that has only been in existence for two years.....this was my first year and I was taking over a program that was 0-28 the previous year and only averaged 42 ppg last year. We only won 2 games this season (first two in program history) and had the wood laid to us several times....I'm sure that if we had a message board like this one that a lot of people would have been calling for my head this year but most of them would have realized the positives that occurred, such as:

1.they only had 1 second half lead last year.....we had 7 or 8 this season, inluding a 1 point halftime lead against the #8 team in the country in our association..on the road...a game we eventually lost by 15...and two double digit leads against a team that was ranked #16 in the country in our association at one time.....both games we lost in tough matchups.

2.we increased our scoring average by 17 ppg.

3.we didn't lose a single varsity player to grades this season (multiple players were lost the year before)

4.we had our first two academic all-americans in school history this season.

5.we did this while playing two 6'4" posts and no wings over 6'2"....something that will (and is) being addressed in recruiting...but it takes time.

All these are things most people wouldn't have realized or paid much attention to. I hate losing more than anything and next year is going to be a different story as we will have our first full year to recruit as a staff in the programs history....we weren't far away from being really competitive and we need people involved to be patient and give us two more years before they turn on us like some people are always quick to do. So, I guess, what I am saying is that I can sympathize with both sides (as a fan and as a coach) and hope that you guys will be patient and give the staff a chance to do what it is going to take. I know it is hard when you want your team to win so bad (especially when you are used to them winning in the past) but they will get there.

I know most of what I said really doesn't matter to some of you.....but you can't judge the staff by one season when there was a LOT of work to be done. THAT is where I am coming from on my side of things and I hope our fans give me and my staff a chance to get this thing going in the right direction.

Guys...sit back and enjoy the ride.....the staff will have the program back at the top of the Big XII soon!!!

Last edited:
I know a lot of people who come on this board were disappointed OU didn't make the post season and generally how the season ended. I would hope that most of you are actually level headed enough to be patient and wait another year or two before getting really antsy and continuing any heavy bashing of the coaching, etc.

The biggest thing about college basketball (and basketball in general) is having talent. There is a lot of truth to the statement that "Great players make great coaches" and the team that Kruger was left with, although it had SOME talent, wasn't very deep and was lacking talent in some areas.

A lot of you know I coach college basketball (albeit at the small school, non-scholarship level) and we play a tough schedule that includes a couple of NCAA DI teams every year and several NCAA DII schools every year. It is a new program that has only been in existence for two years.....this was my first year and I was taking over a program that was 0-28 the previous year and only averaged 42 ppg last year. We only won 2 games this season (first two in program history) and had the wood laid to us several times....I'm sure that if we had a message board like this one that a lot of people would have been calling for my head this year but most of them would have realized the positives that occurred, such as:

1.they only had 1 second half lead last year.....we had 7 or 8 this season, inluding a 1 point halftime lead against the #8 team in the country in our association..on the road...a game we eventually lost by 15...and two double digit leads against a team that was ranked #16 in the country in our association at one time.....both games we lost in tough matchups.

2.we increased our scoring average by 17 ppg.

3.we didn't lose a single varsity player to grades this season (multiple players were lost the year before)

4.we had our first two academic all-americans in school history this season.

5.we did this while playing two 6'4" posts and no wings over 6'2"....something that will (and is) being addressed in recruiting...but it takes time.

All these are things most people wouldn't have realized or paid much attention to. I hate losing more than anything and next year is going to be a different story as we will have our first full year to recruit as a staff in the programs history....we weren't far away from being really competitive and we need people involved to be patient and give us two more years before they turn on us like some people are always quick to do. So, I guess, what I am saying is that I can sympathize with both sides (as a fan and as a coach) and hope that you guys will be patient and give the staff a chance to do what it is going to take. I know it is hard when you want your team to win so bad (especially when you are used to them winning in the past) but they will get there.

I know most of what I said really doesn't matter to some of you.....but you can't judge the staff by one season when there was a LOT of work to be done. THAT is where I am coming from on my side of things and I hope our fans give me and my staff a chance to get this thing going in the right direction.

Guys...sit back and enjoy the ride.....the staff will have the program back at the top of the Big XII soon!!!

:clap

Well said, NCSooner! There is no doubt that LK and his staff have our program headed in the right direction again. There are lots of positives to take from the season just past if you look for them, as you have so eloquently pointed out. Our 2012 recruiting class and the list of high-profile players OU is in on in 2013are more than enough to get me excited about our future!

The simple fact that OU will have M'Baye, Hield, Hornbeak and Cousins is going to make the team better. OU will have depth next season and that will make a difference.

The simple fact that OU will have M'Baye, Hield, Hornbeak and Cousins is going to make the team better. OU will have depth next season and that will make a difference.

Out: Blair, Washington, Puma, Franklin

In: M'Baye, Hield, Hornbeak, Cousins
:clap:krugs

Out: Blair, Washington, Puma, Franklin

In: M'Baye, Hield, Hornbeak, Cousins
:clap:krugs

All of the players who will not (or may not) be here next year have been good for the program. But, no matter how you feel about those guys, M'Baye, Hield, Hornbeak and Cousins will be a significant upgrade in talent.

Maybe I can finally end my rant about the lack of quality depth.

Still curious to see if we use both, or either, remaining scholarships. I'm getting to the point that if Blair leaves, I'd like to keep his scholarship for next year.

Thanks Ruf/Nek. LOL

No, that's a great job. When we used to coach softball we would take all the girls no one wanted and make a team out of it. The first, and sometimes hardest, thing to do was to change the mindset. And it's frustrating to still get your brains beat in but sometimes there are moral victories. Once you've been the a while and things start getting better - and they will - the feeling is one of the best you can have.

Still curious to see if we use both, or either, remaining scholarships. I'm getting to the point that if Blair leaves, I'd like to keep his scholarship for next year.

I would use it. OU will have 5 scholarships to give next season at a minimum.

I probably had a lower opinion than most of you of the quality of players we had last year. I know I have a lower opinion that most of Capel and his coaching and recruiting. The difference in effort, organization on the court and the "want to" last year was obvious and really encouraging. For me, LK has all the time he wants.

I would use it. OU will have 5 scholarships to give next season at a minimum.

Why though? At this point, are we really in on anybody that will contribute next year?

I'm all for using all 13 scholarships most of the time. That was something Kelvin didn't do a very good job of either. But I don't want to add bodies just to add bodies. Go get a JUCO big to fight Arent for 4th big man minutes, and call it a day.

And I think we'd only have 4 'ships left for 2013 if we use them all this year (assuming no one year transfer like the UCONN kid). We lose 5 seniors (Grooms/Pledger/Osby/Fitz/Arent), and already have Cole going on scholarship that year.

Last edited:
Why though? At this point, are we really in on anybody that will contribute next year?

I'm all for using all 13 scholarships most of the time. That was something Kelvin didn't do a very good job of either. But I don't want to add bodies just to add bodies. Go get a JUCO big to fight Arent for 4th big man minutes, and call it a day.

And I think we'd only have 4 'ships left for 2013 if we use them all this year (assuming no one year transfer like the UCONN kid). We lose 5 seniors (Grooms/Pledger/Osby/Fitz/Arent), and already have Cole going on scholarship that year.

I would be happy going into the year with what we have right now.......but another big bosy would be really nice......it wouldn't shock me if we added Korchek and red shirted him.....but if we had a chance at the big from UCONN you gotta take him.........great 1 year option.

Next year I want to load up.....it would be nice to get the big kid who used to play in round rock and GREAT if we got lucky enough to convince Randle to come here....and a dream to get both........I'm really anxious to see what happens.

And Ruf......I'm with you on the building the program like that....I've set up my schedule to be more competitive next year for us....and recruiting is going well so far (I already have two upgrades on campus and enrolled and another one committed.....and close to two more big man commits that would be big for us).....we are well on our way as long as we keep the momentum going and as long as I can close on 3-4 more kids......next year could be a good one for us.

I like to keep 1-2 open in case of a good transfer. Normally, you don't play more than 10 at the most and you typically don't redshirt in basketball (unless injury or transfer).

I like to keep 1-2 open in case of a good transfer. Normally, you don't play more than 10 at the most and you typically don't redshirt in basketball (unless injury or transfer).

At least one. If we can get a JUCO forward [post or wing] that can help I'd be okay with that too.

Kelvin always kept one scholarship back (I almost thought he did it on purpose) and then one year OU had a chance to get a really good transfer from Baylor and we didn't have a scholarship. I was a big Kelvin Sampson fan but I swear that guy had the worst luck.

That's why I like transfers. One every year or 2, means 5th year seniors like Osby will be this year and Mbaye the year after. Having a reputation for taking transfers is great for the program.

Back