Kyle Hardrick

Romulus

Reaction score
Surprised to see that Hardrick was only named honorable mention all big city. Of course X Henry was the main player on PC, but PC also had another kid on the second team.
Curious to see what position or player this prospect is supposed to be at OU. Is he coming to be a bench player his whole time at OU?
The paper had him listed as a 6-7 PF so I'm guessing he's really 6-6 at the most. Does he have an outside shot to be a 3 at OU?

I've seen him several times and he's purely a post player. I don't think he'll ever start, but he could be a decent role player off the bench.

He is also very good friends with Ray McCallum, which McCallum has mentioned that in a couple of interviews. So maybe he'll help us land him.

Surprised to see that Hardrick was only named honorable mention all big city. Of course X Henry was the main player on PC, but PC also had another kid on the second team.
Curious to see what position or player this prospect is supposed to be at OU. Is he coming to be a bench player his whole time at OU?
The paper had him listed as a 6-7 PF so I'm guessing he's really 6-6 at the most. Does he have an outside shot to be a 3 at OU?

Zero chance at being a 3. He is a true post player at 6'6'' or 6'7''...

I have no idea what to expect out of him, but my gut tells me not much.

As abd said, absolutely no chance at being a SF. He is at least 6-6, maybe legit 6-7 and does have a nice outside shot. He definitely needs to redshirt. At best he could be a solid role player in the post, maybe with a ton of hard work have a shot to start as a JR or SR, but that is a big stretch at this point and with the way Capel's recruiting is going it's very unlikely. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him transfer after a couple years to a smaller school.

I don't want to sell the kid short, he was under utilized on his HS team, he should have gotten more touches in the post. Defenses would double down on him and he'd kick it out and they'd score, but he'd got long stretches without every touching the ball in the post. He was 3rd or 4th best player on that team at best by HS standards. Obviously he had the 2nd best college potential but productivity wise there are some good HS players on that team and he was not a huge factor.

As abd said, absolutely no chance at being a SF. He is at least 6-6, maybe legit 6-7 and does have a nice outside shot. He definitely needs to redshirt. At best he could be a solid role player in the post, maybe with a ton of hard work have a shot to start as a JR or SR, but that is a big stretch at this point and with the way Capel's recruiting is going it's very unlikely. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him transfer after a couple years to a smaller school.

I don't want to sell the kid short, he was under utilized on his HS team, he should have gotten more touches in the post. Defenses would double down on him and he'd kick it out and they'd score, but he'd got long stretches without every touching the ball in the post. He was 3rd or 4th best player on that team at best by HS standards. Obviously he had the 2nd best college potential but productivity wise there are some good HS players on that team and he was not a huge factor.

PCO never threw him the ball, at the same time he couldn't score on people with size. He has a decent shot from 15 feet but he lacks strength and foot speed. I hope he isa good practice player and gets a shot down the road if he chooses to stay at OU. He just isn't a real factor, even in high school games. Kyle was the 5th option for PCO and many times they just played without him.

The Only reason he went to PCO is because of their schedule. Going to Hawaii and the rest of the nationwide tournaments. He actually scored better when Henry was out. PCO doesn't win a state title without him though, as he was their only post pressence. He averaged 18pts at Norman last year, but only averaged 10 this year. He is purely a post player and if he can be a Johnny Gilbert or even Jameel Heyward type player I would be happy. I think he should redshirt.

I'm not sure if he'll contribute much while he's here, but I salute Capel for honoring a loyal Sooner and most likely a commitment made by the previous coaching staff. Just another example of Coach's integrity and class.

I think Kyle will be a great Sooner in the mold of Johnnie Gilbert, David Godbold, Taylor Griffin, Cade Davis...Oklahomans who have enough pride just being part of the team that their work ethic and commitment positively impacts the rest of the team whether they play or not.

He is a Sooner through and through, and you can't have too many of those guys on your team.

I'm not sure if he'll contribute much while he's here, but I salute Capel for honoring a loyal Sooner and most likely a commitment made by the previous coaching staff. Just another example of Coach's integrity and class.

I think Kyle will be a great Sooner in the mold of Johnnie Gilbert, David Godbold, Taylor Griffin, Cade Davis...Oklahomans who have enough pride just being part of the team that their work ethic and commitment positively impacts the rest of the team whether they play or not.

He is a Sooner through and through, and you can't have too many of those guys on your team.

Did he commit under Sampson? I can't remember...

I've watched him play a few times, all of which when he was still at Norman High. If he takes a redshirt year, I could see him contributing as a roll player down the road, but he lacked the skills (at that time) to compete at a high Division 1 level. As Spence said, I could see Hardrick transfering down the line if he desires more PT, because I just don't think he will see a ton in an OU uniform.

Especially with Capel's recruiting track record.

Did he commit under Sampson? I can't remember...

I've watched him play a few times, all of which when he was still at Norman High. If he takes a redshirt year, I could see him contributing as a roll player down the road, but he lacked the skills (at that time) to compete at a high Division 1 level. As Spence said, I could see Hardrick transfering down the line if he desires more PT, because I just don't think he will see a ton in an OU uniform.

Especially with Capel's recruiting track record.

Yes, he did commit under KS. I think what pnk is saying is good for Capel for honoring that commitment EVEN IF he might not be the caliber of player he's recruiting now.

The Only reason he went to PCO is because of their schedule. Going to Hawaii and the rest of the nationwide tournaments. He actually scored better when Henry was out. PCO doesn't win a state title without him though, as he was their only post pressence. He averaged 18pts at Norman last year, but only averaged 10 this year. He is purely a post player and if he can be a Johnny Gilbert or even Jameel Heyward type player I would be happy. I think he should redshirt.

They won it this year without him. He didn't score in the semis in their hardest game, and was a non factor in the Jenks game. PCO was better when they went small without him.

As I remember, when we recruited him, he was a 6'6 freshman that was supposed to be 7'0, and sampson gambled with a non-binding offer. Kyle accepted, and OU (capel) honored their commitment. Highly unlikely he would have been offered otherwise.

However, I was talking to someone recently about Kyle and they told me that although he didn't look that good this year, he had actually finally grown and was at least 6-9, maybe 6-10 now, so that with time, maybe he could develop.

Does anyone know if this is really true, has he hit a growth spurt this year and is he that tall? Just wondering. If so, then, as I agree with everyone above, that he is clearly just a post player, this would help him in his efforts to make it in D-1. JMO, but if he is only 6-6,7, then I think he will have a hard time making it, because he isn't extremely athletic.

Oh well, he is a loyal sooner, and you never know how a kid is going to turn out, so here's hopeing it works out for him.

I am pretty sure that Hardrick was Capel's first commit, not a Kelvin commit.

Also, I am glad to have Kyle at OU because I feel like he is as "committed" to OU as any player we have on the roster, right there with Gerber and Davis.

Rivals says that Kyle committed 5/20/2006, one week exactly after Blake committed.

Hardrick did indeed commit to Sampson a loooong time ago.

he has said numerous times that when Capel came in he was a little nervous but got to know him and the offer was still valid.

always sounded to me like he more grateful for the scholly than anything, which is funny to hear in today's recruiting world.

he is just going to be a guy that has to *shock* work extremely hard, practice hard, play smart, lift weights and be coachable. there's no reason why he cant garner some legit pt in a few years.

we need some scrappy, overachieving, Okies on the roster.

:jcapel

Rivals says that Kyle committed 5/20/2006, one week exactly after Blake committed.

He committed as a freshman out of Lawton. Transferred up to Norman High and played with T. Boyd, Broyles, and Allen and they were supposed to dominate. Then he had some subsequent knee injuries which really hurt him because at norman he came back a little fast and they expected too much from him.

Definitely a Kelvin commit and a reason why all this early committing is bad. He dominated as a 6'7" freshman but he hasn't grown.

Let's give this kid a fair shot. He's had horrible coaching over the last few years. He was at Norman where the coach their wasn't very good in my opinion, then he went to PCO where the coach their has been building his team around X Henry for 4 years. He has done well in the summer. When X Henry was out at AF and Boyd had yet to return, he carried that team. I thing that there is some good play in that kid. He's already in good condition and all we really need from a kid like him is to defend and attack the boards. He's more ready to step in as a role player than other guys who are use to having offenses run through them.

Let's give this kid a fair shot. He's had horrible coaching over the last few years. He was at Norman where the coach their wasn't very good in my opinion, then he went to PCO where the coach their has been building his team around X Henry for 4 years. He has done well in the summer. When X Henry was out at AF and Boyd had yet to return, he carried that team. I thing that there is some good play in that kid. He's already in good condition and all we really need from a kid like him is to defend and attack the boards. He's more ready to step in as a role player than other guys who are use to having offenses run through them.

Good post!

Nice that we gave this Oklahoma kid a shot, but i dont expect anything out of him except some energy and a 4 yr guy...hopefully he can find that role and understand that his time here wont be as a star or a starter unless he is able to crack the lineup his junior or senior year with smart play and energy...Good Luck Hardrick, i'm rooting for you!

Nice that we gave this Oklahoma kid a shot, but i dont expect anything out of him except some energy and a 4 yr guy...hopefully he can find that role and understand that his time here wont be as a star or a starter unless he is able to crack the lineup his junior or senior year with smart play and energy...Good Luck Hardrick, i'm rooting for you!

And Edmond if anyone knows basketball and the worth of hustle and being a team contributor it's you. I hope he comes in with the mindstate of "I'm going to outwork people".

Back