Madi Williams McDonald's AA

I will give SC props, with us having so many lower rated, or less talented, commits year in and year out compared to Baylor and UT, you'd think they'd whip our butts handedly every meeting. This is not the case. I have to go on a limb and say maybe SC, if landing the caliber players year in and year out that Mulkey or Astin has, would produce better results? There is not a HUGE separation between us and either team. 10 and 13 point losses to UT, and 22 and 9 point losses to Baylor. Maybe the point I'm making is that high school ratings can be very deceptive. If we were to go on rankings, Pellington definitely should not have been the best freshman in the Big 12 this season, yet she was, in my opinion.

If these girls just realized, if they went to other schools, like OU, they would get immediate playing time and establish very impressive career resumes when it's all said and done. As it is right now, with the abundance of recruits going to BU and UT every year, we are going to miss out on some very good talented players that have to ride the bench their first couple seasons, whereas they'd be on display, like Pellington and Llanusa, if they went to less prestiges programs (like OU!). It's just wishful thinking, but maybe after seeing the success of our two freshmen this season, other current freshmen will second guess their decisions and jump ship and perhaps, just possibly, land in Norman!

Let's also do a wait and see on the ratings of Texas recruits. For some reason, DFW has had a lot of highly-rated recruits in the past three or four years. That really isn't the history of DFW talent. It has not been a hotbed of women's basketball. Let's see how they pan out.

Holmes has shown she has physical ability. Cox has done well. I think the jury is still out on a lot. It is interesting that while Texas remained in state, Baylor's prime recruits this year were from places like California and New Jersey. (DeCosta and Scott-Grayson).

You left out Smith and Egbo who are both in state

Probably. Baylor and Texas had a good year this year. Can't get five top 100 four years in a row, have to run off five. But, let's look back a year.

2017 Baylor
#5 Alex Morris
#7 Deauzya Richards

2017 Texas
#4 Rellah Boothe
#8 Chasity Patterson
#19 Destiny Littleton

Heard from any of these? Ana Llanusa and Shaina Pellington were, supposedly, #2 and #1 in Big Twelve freshman of the year balloting.

2016 Texas
#1 Joynes Holmes
#10 Alicia Sutton
#50 Jada Underwood

2016 Baylor
#5 Lauren Cox
#25 Natalie Chou
#27 Calveion Landrum

Cox and Holmes have made their names known. Holmes had a setback this year.

One more good year, and we are probably about caught up---not quite.

It does not mean OU freshmen are better. Patterson and Boothe didn't play for the most part while Morris and Richards played but were on a team that didn't allow you to see all of what they can do. Ana and Pellington are great freshman but I won't say they are better ball players than any of those. Sorry

skilledserv,
Again, at some point you have to worry about what OU is going.
Ana and Shaina with legit minutes showed themselves to be legit Big 12 players. They've moved beyond the potential point. It's one thing to be given minutes out of necessity no other alternatives. It's another entirely to take advantage of those given minutes and execute at a
high level for a freshman.
Baylor's freshman might be better players down the road.

Back