NCAA rejects Sampson's appeal >>> Rivals.com

Can you imagine the hordes of juco stallions Sampson could attract to a school like Colorado? He'd have them as the second best team in the North within two seasons.

Pat Knight has 6 junior college guys on his roster next season, mixed with three top 10 Texas recruits (Roberson, Roberts, Singletary), a top 15 Texas recruit (Mike Davis), a 1st team all-state kid out of Kansas (Lewandowski), and one of the top recruits in New Mexico (Jaye Crockett),

We will know soon enough if you can recruit the best high school guys you possibly can, mix them with 6 junior college players, and have a good team.

Can you imagine the hordes of juco stallions Sampson could attract to a school like Colorado? He'd have them as the second best team in the North within two seasons.

Juco Stallions is an oxymoron in this day and age.
I think that is part of why Sampson fell on hard times toward the end.
The juco ranks are pretty bare anymore. You couldn't take the 5 best juco players in the entire country and finish in the top half of the Big 12 probably.

abd would have a joy seizure if Sampson started Juco U at Colorado.

You couldn't take the 5 best juco players in the entire country and finish in the top half of the Big 12 probably.

Yes you could, without a doubt... I could pick 5 guys from all of juco that could compete for a top 4 spot in the Big 12 next year... There are some major difference makers out there in juco, you just have to find them.

PG: Lance Jeter (6'3'' 225)- Nebraska
-Florida Community College Activities Association (FCCAA) Player of the Year and was an All-FCCAA first-team member as a sophomore. Averaged 15.9 points, 5.7 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.0 steals per game. Was the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Athlete of the Year in high school.

SG: Casey Mitchell (6'4'' 215)- West Virginia
-2009 National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Player of the Year and first team NJCAA All-American.. This past season, he averaged 20 points per game for Chipola and was the Panhandle Conference Player of the Year.
. He was a two-time WTOC Player of the Year in High School, Georgia Athletic Coaches Association Player of the Year and Most Valuable Player of the GACA All-Star game.

SF: Marquis Gilstrap (6'6'' 210)- Iowa State
-Emerged as one of the best junior college players in the nation in his one season at Gulf Coast, averaging 22.6 points and 10.1 rebounds for one of the biggest surprise teams in junior college. rated as the 26th-best player in the class of 2009 (high school and junior college players) by ESPN.com.. shot 48.3 percent from the field (257-532), 40.9 percent from 3-point range (52-127) and 74.8 percent from the free-throw line (181-242)...

PF: Jarrid Famous (6'11'' 240)- South Florida
-Averaged 25.2 points, 13.6 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game as a sophomore at WCC... The 25.2 points per game ranked third in the country in scoring among junior colleges and the 13.7 rebounds was second best nationally... Shot 58.3 percent from the field... Scored 30 or more points seven times with a single-game high of 36... Had 20 or more rebounds three times with a single-game high of 25... Had combined games of 36 points and 21 rebounds, 32 points and 23 rebounds and 28 points and 25 rebounds. Named Region 15 Player of the Year and Mid-Hudson Conference Player of the Year.

PF: Trevor Mbakwe (6'7'' 220)- Minnesota
-Averaged 14.7 points, 12.4 rebounds, and 3.6 blocks per game for a Miami-Dade team that sent 4 other players to D-1 schools (Rutgers, Kentucky, Memphis, and Alabama).

Last edited:
Yes you could, without a doubt... I could pick 5 guys from all of juco that could compete for a top 4 spot in the Big 12 next year... There are some major difference makers out there in juco, you just have to find them.

No you couldn't ABD. Sorry bro. Just ain't happening. That's why you used a list of guys that have yet to play a game. Why not use recent history we know. Produce me a list of 5 juco's from last year that could finish in the top 4. A list from the year before that. You just can't do it. The talent isn't there. It looks like it on paper but it just isn't. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Put together a list of the 5 best juco transfers from last year and I'd like to see how they stack up against KU, OU, Texas & Mizzou from last year.

No you couldn't ABD. Sorry bro. Just ain't happening. That's why you used a list of guys that have yet to play a game. Why not use recent history we know. Produce me a list of 5 juco's from last year that could finish in the top 4. A list from the year before that. You just can't do it. The talent isn't there. It looks like it on paper but it just isn't. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Put together a list of the 5 best juco transfers from last year and I'd like to see how they stack up against KU, OU, Texas & Mizzou from last year.

I tell ya what, I will save those 5 schools in my favorites here at work and see how those 5 players do at the end of the season. If they average like 5 points a game or something I will admit that juco is now a "diamond in the rough" game...

Deal?

I tell ya what, I will save those 5 schools in my favorites here at work and see how those 5 players do at the end of the season. If they average like 5 points a game or something I will admit that juco is now a "diamond in the rough" game...
Deal?

No problem bro...this year sure could be different but it would be the exception. Like I said the last few years have been horrible. I can't really think of 2-3 juco guys that made a huge impact last year. Heck, not one comes to mind right now. I'm talking a big enough impact to finish top 4 in the league.

Produce me a list of 5 juco's from last year that could finish in the top 4.

Ok..... no problem.

PG: Robert Jarvis (6'0'' 180) ORU- Jarvis earns a first-team nod for the second straight year after leading ORU and ranking among league leaders in scoring at 17.4 points per game. The 5-11 guard is one of the Summit League’s most prolific three-point shooters, ranking second with 84 treys. Jarvis twice tied his career high this season by scoring 34 points at Missouri and against South Florida. On Feb. 28, he became the 27th player in school history to score 1,000 career points. He has scored in double figures 26 times in 30 games this season.

G: Booker Woodfox (6'1'' 185) Creighton- Averaged 16 points, 2.5 rebounds, and 1 assists per game for a 27-8 Creighton team. Named an honorable-mention All-American by the Associated Press. Woodfox was previously named the Larry Bird MVC Player of the Year, first-team all-MVC. Hit 47% of his threes and connected on 91 total on the year.

G: Marcus Thornton (6'4'' 205) LSU- 2009 Coaches, AP All-SEC First Team.. 2009 Coaches, AP All-SEC Player of the Year...2009 USBWA District VII Player of the Year..2009 Rivals.com Second Team All-American.. 2009 Louisiana Player of the Year... Averaged 21.1 points for the season, the first player at LSU since Ronnie Henderson in 1996 to average over 20 points in a season ... He also averaged 5.5 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game ... He was second in the league in scoring in both overall and SEC games (22.7 ppg)... Drafted with the 43rd pick of the 2009 NBA draft.

PF: Lamont Mack (6'7'' 230) Charlotte- Third-Team all-Atlantic 10 in a vote by the league's coaches. Mack, the 49ers leading scoring, ranked fifth in the A-10 with a 17.6 scoring average in A-10 games and he scored in double figures in all 16 league contests. Averaged 15 points and 6 rebounds per game for Charlotte this year. Averaged 15 points per game in his first year with the team as well.

PF: Gary Wilkinson (6'9'' 240) Utah State- Wilkinson, a 6-9 forward from South Jordan, Utah, was named an honorable mention All-American by the Associated Press and the Western Athletic Conference Player of the Year this past season as he led Utah State to a school record 30 wins (30-5), its second-straight regular season WAC title, its first WAC Tournament Championships, and the school's 18th appearance in the NCAA Tournament all-time, including its sixth in the last 10 seasons. As a senior, Wilkinson led Utah State in scoring and rebounding with 17.1 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. He finished the year ranking second in the WAC in scoring and free throw shooting (.826), was fourth in field goal shooting (.580), and sixth in rebounding.

You just can't do it.

I just did.

Last edited:
I just did.

:ez-roll:

Please that list is weak. That's the best you got.
You're telling me that team finishes ahead of either KU, UT, OU or Mizzou last year? No way. Those were all top 10 teams at various points.

On top of that the list you provided wasn't from last years juco class. At least 3 of those guys were seniors. So you basically combined the last two years of juco players and that was the best list you could come up with.
Come on dude, that's weak. Step up your game ABD, step up your game. :woot

Please that list is weak. That's the best you got.

3 national all-americans is weak? Two of those guys are playing in NBA leagues this summer. 4 of them were the player of the year in their conference (SEC, WAC, Summit, and Missouri Valley).

Jarvis would have been the starter at OU for the past two years. He was underrecruited big time. He can get hot and shoot the lights out, I read where he can bench 300+ pounds.

Mack and Wilkinson would have easily started over Taylor Griffin.

Thornton would start over Crocker no question. Last year, Thornton would have been the 2nd best player on OU's team.

Woodfox (an All-American and MVC player of the year) would have started over Crocker last year, no question.

Come on man, wake up! That team has 3 or 4 guys who would have started at OU.

You're telling me that team finishes ahead of either KU, UT, OU or Mizzou last year? No way. Those were all top 10 teams at various points.

Yea, that team finishes ahead of MU no problem, and possibly above OU. The above team finishes 3rd in the Big 12.

On top of that the list you provided wasn't from last years juco class. At least 3 of those guys were seniors.

All of them are seniors, I didnt go pick and choose a class.

4 of those guys could possibly start for OU? No way Jose. I'd love to hear who'd beat out Willie Warren in that bunch. I'm assuming you don't think one of them would beat out Blake. Is that a safe assumption?

4 of those guys could possibly start for OU? No way Jose. I'd love to hear who'd beat out Willie Warren in that bunch. I'm assuming you don't think one of them would beat out Blake. Is that a safe assumption?

If you combined those teams at OU you would have the following starters:

PG: Robert Jarvis over AJ
SG: Willie Warren
SG: Marcus Thornton over Crocker (the guy was the SEC player of the year, averaged 22 a game!)
PF: Justin Wilkinson over Taylor (averaged 17 and 7 for a 30-5 club that nearly went to the Sweet 16. Can shoot 3's, shoots 82% from the foul line. He is 6'9'' 240)
C: Blake Griffin

Thats 3 guys from that list who easily start at OU. Its not even a debate, out of 5 players in OU's starting 5 three of them would be replaced without question.

The Woodfox kid out of Creighton is an unbelievable shooter and would have started over Crocker any day of the week. He shot 50% from the 3pt line and hit 91 three's!.. He led his team to 27 wins.

Thats 3 guys from that list who easily start at OU. Its not even a debate, out of 5 players in OU's starting 5 three of them would be replaced without question.

Great but the two that aren't replaced are the #1 pick in this years NBA Draft and a top 10 pick in next years. Those are kind of good players.
So your list of 5 ain't beating OU last year with the reasoning being 3 of the 5 would start for OU. Because Blake and WW are light years ahead of those guys.

Great but the two that aren't replaced are the #1 pick in this years NBA Draft and a top 10 pick in next years. Those are kind of good players.
So your list of 5 ain't beating OU last year with the reasoning being 3 of the 5 would start for OU. Because Blake and WW are light years ahead of those guys.

Faulty logic... Blake and Willie were better than everyone they played pretty much, but they finished 3rd or 4th in the league and got beat in the Big 12 tournament.

I can prove time and again that there are big time difference makers in the juco ranks that are out there to be signed.. I just picked 5 guys from the 2007 class and put together a really good team.

It would be impossible to put together a team like that in recruiting, and you wouldnt want to because they would only have 2 years. But you can find big talent and fill any role by getting the right juco. It was true 10 years ago, and you still can today, no question.

It would be impossible to put together a team like that in recruiting, and you wouldnt want to because they would only have 2 years. But you can find big talent and fill any role by getting the right juco. It was true 10 years ago, and you still can today, no question.

The talent is nothing like it was in the 90's. Not even close. None of those guys are 1st round NBA players. You don't win championships with those guys you listed as the main players.
Who's the last juco guy to go in the lottery? I can't even think of who it would be.
In the 90's you had studs year after year out of Juco...Steve Francis, Shawn Marion, JR Rider, Larry Johnson....you just don't see guys like that anymore.
Seriously, who's a juco guy in the NBA doing anything now. I can't think of any.

The talent is nothing like it was in the 90's. Not even close. None of those guys are 1st round NBA players. You don't win championships with those guys you listed as the main players.
Who's the last juco guy to go in the lottery? I can't even think of who it would be. In the 90's you had studs year after year out of Juco...Steve Francis, Shawn Marion, JR Rider, Larry Johnson....you just don't see guys like that anymore.
Seriously, who's a juco guy in the NBA doing anything now. I can't think of any.

So, your first challenge was to find a big impact player which you didnt think existed. I did that, and now you want me to find a guy who went to juco who is a top 10 player in the world for that year (lottery pick)... Well, that I cant do.

But the whole point of this is to decide if you can find a really good player (college player) in junior college, and the answer is an emphatic yes. They are out there, they just get recruited less and by smaller schools more often now because the big schools can recruit a similar player out of prep school and get him for four years instead of two.

Last edited:
Pat Knight has 6 junior college guys on his roster next season, mixed with three top 10 Texas recruits (Roberson, Roberts, Singletary), a top 15 Texas recruit (Mike Davis), a 1st team all-state kid out of Kansas (Lewandowski), and one of the top recruits in New Mexico (Jaye Crockett),

We will know soon enough if you can recruit the best high school guys you possibly can, mix them with 6 junior college players, and have a good team.

Kelvin could coach circles around Pat Knight. Not a good "comparison."

Back