Baylor recruiting.....

Perry Jones announces he's going pro today. Not the best news day for Baylor basketball.

:clap I heard bits and pieces of this investigation for the last three years. The NCAA was hell bent to find something. I know they were trying to keep this from going public by self-imposing a lot of things as the article states. Is there unlimited texting now? Jokerness...

I knew you would defend Drew and Co Hoopster and while I respect your opinion.....Scott Drew's program has been built on shady foundations.....one of his very first hires was someone who was a KNOWN cheater at the high school ranks in Texas. I don't have to name names and won't in a public forum but he was known for very very questionable tactics at the high school level. If you build your staff on guys with questionable tactics you are bound to have problems sooner or later. One of the main reasons I have a huge issue with DI teams hiring very shady AAU guys who are known to be flesh peddlers on their staffs......they hire guys who are shady and unethical and then people are shocked that things happen.

You can be a Baylor fan and try to make excuses for stuff....try to explain away stuff.....and say te NCAA was "on a witch hunt" etc all you want but Scott Drew had a choice of who he wanted to surround himself with....had a choice about who he put on the recruiting trail.....and had an OBLIGATION to Baylor and it's fans to run a clean program and he failed to do that.

Blame it on the NCAA if you want but it still goes right back to Coach Drew.

They have done a good job making Baylor relevant but they went about it the wrong way.

HYPOCRITE U! HYPOCRITE U!!! It was a HUGE mistake to bring in Hypocrite U to the Big 12!!! They got Ken Starr, their big donor (Drayton McLane) and they are private so very little has to be open to the public! I say get rid of them and TCU before it gets worse!

I think the bigger violation with Baylor is that their women's program has been playing with a dude for the last few years. Sorry for sounding sexist but there is no way that Griner is really a chick or he/she had to have a sex change operation.

:facepalm

Turns out we shouldn't care about recruiting violations at Baylor because there are worse recruiting violations elsewhere. Let's pack this thing up and move on. Sure, systematically breaking rules about the amount of contact permitted to a recruit probably gives you a significant advantage, but unless you are the worst you aren't.

Remember when Parrish said OU should get the "death penalty"?! Not saying what he wrote on this situation is right or wrong but the guy is a joke and has fried his brains in a tanning bed.

Looks like the NCAA will do something about the time Griner graduates. I have never been a big advocate of them making such a big deal over phone calls (If they do in this case).

I would like to see them catch the real cheaters. But all their investigators seem to be able to do is count phone calls. Sometimes it takes them three or four years to determine that too many were made. Maybe they need to get someone who can count faster or better.

I just wish players and coaches who play it straight would provide the NCAA with information that they have to have. There seems to be something similar to police departments where it is a major sin to inform on one of their own.

Of course that didn't stop Eddie Sutton. Sampson should have just sent the players money like Eddie did.

Parrish is right, this is GREAT news for Baylor. NCAA was going to find something (as they would any program if they dug deep enough) and phone calls/texts are not a big deal...everyone is doing it.

of course they were looking for evidence that Baylor was paying players. They interviewed a lot of recruits; parents of recruits; AAU coaches; agents, etc... They didn't find any evidence of paying players at Baylor.

However, I heard some of their interviews have led to some digging at some of our big12 brethren. I'm not one to name names but those schools were not TCU, Baylor, West Virginia, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Kansas State or Iowa State. That could be interesting to watch develop...

of course they were looking for evidence that Baylor was paying players. They interviewed a lot of recruits; parents of recruits; AAU coaches; agents, etc... They didn't find any evidence of paying players at Baylor.

However, I heard some of their interviews have led to some digging at some of our big12 brethren. I'm not one to name names but those schools were not TCU, Baylor, West Virginia, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Kansas State or Iowa State. That could be interesting to watch develop...

Interesting indeed! I am not the least bit surprised by the schools not on your list.

Phone calls, lol.

KU boosters laugh at phone calls.

How does someone get caught breaking these rules? If you really intend to cheat, wouldn't you get a cell phone that was not through the university. It seems to me the coaches don't really understand the telephone and text rules more than they are cheating because they create a digital record of the "cheating". It would be like writing a check versus handing a player cash. I am pretty sure every kid that has even been paid was paid in cash.

To clarify: is this list excluding MU and A&M because both are headed to the SEC, or because they (along with OSU and kansas) drew the interest of NCAA investigators?

How does someone get caught breaking these rules? If you really intend to cheat, wouldn't you get a cell phone that was not through the university. It seems to me the coaches don't really understand the telephone and text rules more than they are cheating because they create a digital record of the "cheating". It would be like writing a check versus handing a player cash. I am pretty sure every kid that has even been paid was paid in cash.

With multiple schools being hit for similar violations over the past several years, there's no way they're just unaware of the rule.

You'd think it would be pretty easy to find a way around it. Maybe they don't get a second phone because they think it would look odd to recruits if they were calling from different numbers, and that's a conversation they'd rather avoid (and you can't call entirely from a non-work phone because then the NCAA will want to know why the coaches never call anyone).

Who doesn't use text messaging a lot these days? I would think this was an easy rule to break.

To clarify: is this list excluding MU and A&M because both are headed to the SEC, or because they (along with OSU and kansas) drew the interest of NCAA investigators?

only listing future Big12 teams. Missouri and A&M not at issue here.

some of these calls or texts were at permissible times they were just not logged. If a coach called a recruit and there was no answer, he/she was supposed to log the call. All these coaches are busy and they are not detailed oriented. They are coaches because they like people. Not geared to be doing logs like accountants, financial planners, actuaries, etc...

Of course it is a compliance department's duty to make sure they understand how critical this is. But I understand how it doesn't happen.

Hopefully the NCAA in the future will allow coaches to call and text whenever they want to and just worry about enforcing things like pay to play; academic fraud; etc...

Back