Baylor recruiting.....

You're assuming no one else does that.

Of course not. I know there are cheaters in every walk of life, especially college sports.

All I'm saying is that any form of cheating to gain an advantage over your competition is wrong. The price one has to pay is up to someone else. I'm not trying to make myself into a judge, juror and executioner.

do you really see Drew as holier than thou? Honestly? When I think of holier than thou, I think of a guy who has a dour face and is going around telling people or thinking that his life is morally superior and everyone else is going to hell. If Bobby Knight was a devoted Christian, that is the image I have in mind.

Drew on the other hand is more like Joel Osteen- always smiling; always believing the best in others; never a bad day type. It can be annoying as hell to some personality types, I get that. But the guy is never up there claiming that he lives some morally superior life. Any time I have heard him "preach" it is always that the reason for his joy comes from Christ and that he is a sinner saved by grace.

Thayer Evans just comes across as a guy who had a really bad experience at a church camp as a kid. He had that article locked and loaded and probably had the endorphins flowing that he got to run it finally.

do you really see Drew as holier than thou? Honestly? When I think of holier than thou, I think of a guy who has a dour face and is going around telling people or thinking that his life is morally superior and everyone else is going to hell. If Bobby Knight was a devoted Christian, that is the image I have in mind.

Drew on the other hand is more like Joel Osteen- always smiling; always believing the best in others; never a bad day type. It can be annoying as hell to some personality types, I get that. But the guy is never up there claiming that he lives some morally superior life. Any time I have heard him "preach" it is always that the reason for his joy comes from Christ and that he is a sinner saved by grace.

Thayer Evans just comes across as a guy who had a really bad experience at a church camp as a kid. He had that article locked and loaded and probably had the endorphins flowing that he got to run it finally.

You used a Televangelist as an example. In my mind, televangelist = used car salesman = Scott Drew? That's not the way I would want my coach portrayed.

You used a Televangelist as an example. In my mind, televangelist = used car salesman = Scott Drew? That's not the way I would want my coach portrayed.

any good recruiter is going to come across as a used car salesman to a lot of people.

In DFW's (and Osteen's) defense, Joel Osteen is not the typical televangelist one might compare to a used car salesman. To be sure, there are some who fit that description, though.

I'll admit that "holier-than-thou" is not a fair assessment of Scott Drew. I don't really see him that way. I said sometime ago that with his charm and personality, it's easy to understand why he is a great recruiter. But by passing himself off as someone who is almost above reproach, he made it even more difficult to live up to what others expected of him. That's the price you pay with being in the public eye.

I predict that Drew and Baylor will emerge with little more than a slap on the wrist in the end. That could change if other, more severe violations are uncovered in the next few months. Mulkey is another story. I hope they throw the book at her! ;)

When you present a given image, there had better be some consistency to the image. Whether a holier than thou or a bully, you had better be able to live up to that image. Everyone wants to see the bully knocked off, and nobody offers much sympathy when he is.

I don't know Drew, nor have I paid much attention to Drew. The defense that he is just trying to share his enthusiasm in his sermons falls a bit short. If he gets his spirit from Christianity, he might also have gotten the idea that it was wrong to violate rules. You kind of have to accept both sides of the deal, not just the one that gives you an opportunity.

Maybe I missed something. but I thought I read that one of his assistants tried to convince a couple AAU coaches to lie to the NCAA about the violations and that that is what they are really in trouble for.

Why does he get judged more harshly because he is a Christian?

I don't think he gets judged more harshly because he says he's a Christian. I think that anyone who portrays themselves to be ethical and honorable person is judged harshly if that doesn't prove to be true. It doesn't matter if he's a Christian or not.

I'm going to remember this post. Like I said earlier I got privy to some information that will not be good for OSU if it comes to light. It involves paying players. NCAA is looking into it. It stemmed from interviewing players that Baylor was recruiting and it is a mess- paying for unofficial visits; players taking money from agents while at OSU; direct payments to charitable organizations from OSU boosters. Could get ugly.

I really have nothing against OSU- just telling you that you might want to get off the moral high horse.

"My moral high horse?"

Even if something is going on at OSU, I'm not the one doing anything, so I can stand on "my moral high horse" all I want.

If something like that is going on at OSU, then our coaches are scumbags, too, and I'll be the first one to say it.

Back