NCAA rejects Sampson's appeal >>> Rivals.com

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
NCAA denies Sampson’s appeal
By CLIFF BRUNT, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 7 minutes ago

(AP)—The NCAA has rejected an appeal from former Indiana basketball coach Kelvin Sampson.

The NCAA said Tuesday that the NCAA Division I infractions Committee has upheld the violations stemming from more than 100 impermissible phone calls made while Sampson was coaching at Indiana.

Sampson received five years of potential penalties when the NCAA ruled on the case, including an order that could keep him from coaching in college for the next four years.

Sampson said the NCAA misinterpreted evidence and that the infractions committee was biased against him.

Not really shocking news, and Sampson is doing fine in the NBA.

Not really shocking news, and Sampson is doing fine in the NBA.

I wasn't suprised either. Just thought I'd point it out as some posters seemed to think he would win an appeal.

Yeah it is definitely OU basketball relevant, but I would have been shocked if he would have won the appeal.

Would it really matter? Would any D1 school hire him before the 4 years are over? Maybe there are some, but they wouldn't be majors or even mid-majors.

Would it really matter? Would any D1 school hire him before the 4 years are over? Maybe there are some, but they wouldn't be majors or even mid-majors.

I don't think it would matter too much at this point. I think it was more about taking steps to clear his name. He most likely will have to start small if/when he gets back into coaching imo.

Since we are talking about the National Communists Against athletes it would surprise me if Sampson's points were NOT well taken and that they did misinterpret information and were biased. I dont mean to say he was not guilty of violations.

This appeal getting rejected has got to be either Eddie Sutton or Roy Williams fault. Bastages!

I wasn't suprised either. Just thought I'd point it out as some posters seemed to think he would win an appeal.

I don't think anyone thought Sampson would win an appeal with the NCAA. I do believe he could win a lawsuit against them, though. People have been fairly successful against the NCAA in the court of law. Clearly, the NCAA is not an independent jury. Sampson was appealing to the same people who punished him. I'd like to see it play out in the court room, but I really doubt KS goes down that road. I think he's ready to move on. But I could be wrong.

Kelvin would be a great fit at Colorado after that Bezdelik guy gets fired within the next couple of seasons.

Kelvin would be a great fit at Colorado after that Bezdelik guy gets fired within the next couple of seasons.

I don't know about that. I've been to Boulder many a time and the cell reception sucks. :ez-laugh:

I don't think anyone thought Sampson would win an appeal with the NCAA. I do believe he could win a lawsuit against them, though. People have been fairly successful against the NCAA in the court of law. Clearly, the NCAA is not an independent jury. Sampson was appealing to the same people who punished him. I'd like to see it play out in the court room, but I really doubt KS goes down that road. I think he's ready to move on. But I could be wrong.

Really? Why do you want him to take it to court? Seems kind of silly to me. He knowingly broke the rules and was punished. Now he landed a good gig in the NBA. He should just leave it alone.

He would because Colorado is a low pressure job. Unfortunately, Colorado doesn't get rid of their sucky coaches. This guy is sorrier than Ricardo Patton.

It won't surprise me in the least bit if Sampson takes it to court.
He's as arrogant as they come.

Can you imagine the hordes of juco stallions Sampson could attract to a school like Colorado? He'd have them as the second best team in the North within two seasons.

Back