New ARENA as part of entertainment District

Man, all these premature congratulations for and by OU. This will not even come close to happening with TIF. Lol

That referendum will be filed in a week, and within 2 or 3 weeks of that, more than 6000 signatures will have been gathered.

Man, all these premature congratulations for and by OU. This will not even come close to happening with TIF. Lol

That referendum will be filed in a week, and within 2 or 3 weeks of that, more than 6000 signatures will have been gathered.
maybe maybe not

How many signatures are required?

The opposition to this is very noisy and very online…not sure how much the not living on Reddit Normanite is even aware of this. The referendum is hard to get signatures. It will take a bunch of motivated people willing to spend hours and hours to go door to door asking for signatures (it is possible…the Unite Norman crowd did it for the recall Mayor Clark petitions). My guess is they won’t be that motivated…but time will tell.

Referendum could happen. But TIf will not go away even if they decide to not build stadium. It will be extended to continue to build out that area. That is part of the original tif deal that brought target and crest and is not tied to stadium project.

%7B9e958ac2-7430-4a2f-8457-f04bc7d6c395%7D_Arena_Exterior_Side.jpg

%7B835f6993-a8eb-49f6-b8c9-a2a0ca4a1382%7D_05_Bowl.MBB%5B2%5D.jpg

%7B96895f55-a289-47d7-a4c5-db754842a359%7D_WBB_Entrance.jpg

%7B8b46bb81-3db2-42e6-899a-8a170e05f218%7D_indoor.jpg

%7B3a13abcf-efc2-4d4e-9d67-01d0402e5e45%7D_wgym_approved.jpg

Referendum could happen. But TIf will not go away even if they decide to not build stadium. It will be extended to continue to build out that area. That is part of the original tif deal that brought target and crest and is not tied to stadium project.
Is it? I think that TIF has expired already.

Yes I'm the get off my lawn old guy but the thought of going to a shopping/restaurant area to watch a basketball game................

Ugh.

Why? What difference does it make?
I have always loved COLLEGE basketball, the campus feel, the energy of the students, the collective camaraderie of the University of Oklahoma. I don't need restaurants or shopping to enhance my basketball experience. I go to watch basketball in a collegiate setting, not a corporate one. I honestly couldn't care less about growing the city of Norman. I'm don't really understand how needing a new basketball arena got so entwined with promoting the City of Norman. Sometimes I can't tell if Joe C is the athletic director of OU or the President of the Norman Chamber of Commerce when he discusses a new arena. But as I said, I'm that old guy nostalgic for the past and it is quickly disintegrating as is "college" sports, so the whole thing gives me a collective.............ugh.

Fwiw, you just described Rupp Arena. Now, maybe it took a little getting used to, but their fans seemed to have adjusted pretty well.

Since its opening in 1976, it has been the centerpiece of Central Bank Center (formerly Lexington Center), a convention and shopping facility owned by an arm of the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government, which is located next to the Lexington Hyatt and Hilton hotels.

I have always loved COLLEGE basketball, the campus feel, the energy of the students, the collective camaraderie of the University of Oklahoma. I don't need restaurants or shopping to enhance my basketball experience. I go to watch basketball in a collegiate setting, not a corporate one. I honestly couldn't care less about growing the city of Norman. I'm don't really understand how needing a new basketball arena got so entwined with promoting the City of Norman. Sometimes I can't tell if Joe C is the athletic director of OU or the President of the Norman Chamber of Commerce when he discusses a new arena. But as I said, I'm that old guy nostalgic for the past and it is quickly disintegrating as is "college" sports, so the whole thing gives me a collective.............ugh.
did you really have the "campus feel" going to the LNC ??

did you really have the "campus feel" going to the LNC ??
Not as much truthfully but it was on campus still and certainly more than I will going to Norman's economic development area. If that's all you get out of my response you miss the point. As I said, I don't expect all to agree and as they say "you can't stop progress", it's just not progress in my world.

Not as much truthfully but it was on campus still and certainly more than I will going to Norman's economic development area. If that's all you get out of my response you miss the point. As I said, I don't expect all to agree and as they say "you can't stop progress", it's just not progress in my world.
in an ideal world i think pretty much most of OU bball fans and the administration would rather have a new stadium ON campus .. (at the NE corner of Brooks and Jenkins)

but that money doesn't exit .. so the option is stay at the LNC for another 20-30 + years ... or move to this arena that OU doesn't have to pay for ...

and in that either or scenario .... it is a very very easy choice ..

Back