New ARENA as part of entertainment District

Assuming their site is accurate, it's 6200 sigs for the referendum.

And just random thought, based on my work industry. As a Normanite, it is going to be....very very annoying... if they turn around and award the design and construction of this project to out of state firms. I work for a consulting firm that has done work at OU over the decades and it's so frustrating to watch them send public money out of the state.

I still like the idea of what they are doing. I just have mixed thoughts on the funding streams still.

in an ideal world i think pretty much most of OU bball fans and the administration would rather have a new stadium ON campus .. (at the NE corner of Brooks and Jenkins)

but that money doesn't exit .. so the option is stay at the LNC for another 20-30 + years ... or move to this arena that OU doesn't have to pay for ...

and in that either or scenario .... it is a very very easy choice ..
I think you may be correct but what does that say about OU basketball? The only way we can get a new arena is for public assistance when schools all over the country are making it happen on campus? Are we really that bad of a program? Has Joe C really made it a priority to explore conventional avenues? I don't know but it sure speaks volumes about the state of the program.

I think you may be correct but what does that say about OU basketball? The only way we can get a new arena is for public assistance when schools all over the country are making it happen on campus? Are we really that bad of a program? Has Joe C really made it a priority to explore conventional avenues? I don't know but it sure speaks volumes about the state of the program.
OU football has like 400 mil in unfunded football renovations and projects

OU baseball has been trying to get a renovated stadium for 20 years ..

ect ect ect ..

not really about OU basketball

and by the way UT just got a new basketball arena with also 0 school dollars ..

and by the way UT just got a new basketball arena with also 0 school dollars ..
If this were a group paying with their own money, and not needing a handout from the city, then this would be an apples to apples comparison. The Moody Foundation donated like, $130 million, and OVG paid the rest. UT owns the land.

That was a steal for Austin. This is not a steal for Norman.

OU could have gotten something like that (maybe not 100% covered, but significantly more than this arena will be privately funded). I think OU was lazy in their efforts for finding partners. Moody Center had 2 or 3 partners cover that cost, and OU could have done the same.

Most of you already know this, but you cannot compare anything that happens down in Austin to the climate up here. Totally different fiscal situation. The hard truth for our Sooners is every loose dollar that can be found anywhere is being funneled to football. No donor has been willing to step up and foot a large chunk of the campus arena bill, and that's why the school had to look elsewhere. I don't think the city of Norman will have any trouble garnering 6,200 signatures.

ect ect ect ..

Football has had several upgrades and plans for more in the near future

Baseball has announced renovation for the baseball stadium

Basketball........................can't get anything done without the city. It is about basketball. I honestly don't care if they partner with the city. My dislike is the off campus element.

Last edited:
It’s like public parks and disc golf and walking trails. The city pays for them. Some enjoy them some don’t even know they exist. But I’m gonna vote for them and support them because there is a group that Does enjoy them. Or like school bonds. My kids don’t participate in Ag or fine arts but I will vote yes everytime on school bond issue. Because someone’s kid needs nice things and If i can pay a small amount for the greater good. So be it.

TIF is not really risk free to the city in terms of cash flow because it ignores what development might happen there on its own. But I agree the arena was not happening without the TIF and it's probably a decent candidate for using a TIF because a similar project is not coming without it (as opposed to the original TIF, which I think would have otherwise resulted in a similar development...Target was already there).

Austin is just a silly comparison for a number of reasons. It's a downtown arena in the middle of a large, fast growing city that doesn't otherwise have an arena. This project is a basketball arena that will also serve as a secondary venue in the suburbs of a smaller city that is building a $1 billion arena. It's apples to oranges. That doesn't mean its a bad project (I've said the UNP arena is good at least for what our options are now), but it's just not even in the same stratosphere.

This looks absolutely amazing. If this gets done I will be back in Oklahoma to attend some games. If it doesn't I'll be back in Oklahoma but may not go to the LNC dump.
I just hope they build it just like absolutely perfect. In every way ideal for a basketball arena

ect ect ect ..

I can't speak on any of the sports other than basketball and football. But basketball is the 2nd biggest revenue sport right? If so, I wish they'd put off every single sport until football, and then basketball, are completely finished (so using the city for basketball sounds really really smart to me). Imo we have to pour every cent into football until the end times prolly bc of the way "college" sports are ending...

I hope the baseball is delayed, even if they really need it sorry to say. Scary times in college sports imo

TIF is not really risk free to the city in terms of cash flow because it ignores what development might happen there on its own. But I agree the arena was not happening without the TIF and it's probably a decent candidate for using a TIF because a similar project is not coming without it (as opposed to the original TIF, which I think would have otherwise resulted in a similar development...Target was already there).

Austin is just a silly comparison for a number of reasons. It's a downtown arena in the middle of a large, fast growing city that doesn't otherwise have an arena. This project is a basketball arena that will also serve as a secondary venue in the suburbs of a smaller city that is building a $1 billion arena. It's apples to oranges. That doesn't mean its a bad project (I've said the UNP arena is good at least for what our options are now), but it's just not even in the same stratosphere.

the entire development is 1 billion ... the TIF portion of the arena is 230 mil ..

I can't speak on any of the sports other than basketball and football. But basketball is the 2nd biggest revenue sport right? If so, I wish they'd put off every single sport until football, and then basketball, are completely finished (so using the city for basketball sounds really really smart to me). Imo we have to pour every cent into football until the end times prolly bc of the way "college" sports are ending...

I hope the baseball is delayed, even if they really need it sorry to say. Scary times in college sports imo
NO

Back