New ARENA as part of entertainment District

I have always loved COLLEGE basketball, the campus feel, the energy of the students, the collective camaraderie of the University of Oklahoma. I don't need restaurants or shopping to enhance my basketball experience. I go to watch basketball in a collegiate setting, not a corporate one. I honestly couldn't care less about growing the city of Norman. I'm don't really understand how needing a new basketball arena got so entwined with promoting the City of Norman. Sometimes I can't tell if Joe C is the athletic director of OU or the President of the Norman Chamber of Commerce when he discusses a new arena. But as I said, I'm that old guy nostalgic for the past and it is quickly disintegrating as is "college" sports, so the whole thing gives me a collective.............ugh.
Umm this will feel a heck of a lot more like a college atmosphere than the LNC area lol

Umm this will feel a heck of a lot more like a college atmosphere than the LNC area lol
Guess we just have different opinions of what is awesome and what a collegiate setting and campus atmosphere are. Target, Crest, Pei Wei, Embassy Suites and ATT stores, while fine entities on their own, just don't give me that college basketball feel. I get it that LNC isn't in the middle of campus, but it is in the middle of the athletic complex surrounded by tennis, soccer, baseball, and softball, not retail outlets.

Who cares what it's surrounded by? Will the arena be an awesome atmosphere for basketball and an asset for the program? Yes? Then sign me up.
I agree. Allen Fieldhouse is surrounded by a parking garage, baseball stadium, and law school. If the venue is a good one and the team is worth watching, all the other stuff is ancillary. Sure, in an ideal world, there is some cool stuff nearby, but college basketball isn’t exactly a sport that lends itself to tailgating or other pre-or-post game activities. Hell, our fan base generally only wants to attend games in a precise, two-hour window that isn’t too early (tricky to get there after work, after all) or too late (have to get to bed on time). If this comes to fruition, I really hope they do it right and make it a great basketball venue. Don’t be cheap or shortsighted.

Guess we just have different opinions of what is awesome and what a collegiate setting and campus atmosphere are. Target, Crest, Pei Wei, Embassy Suites and ATT stores, while fine entities on their own, just don't give me that college basketball feel. I get it that LNC isn't in the middle of campus, but it is in the middle of the athletic complex surrounded by tennis, soccer, baseball, and softball, not retail outlets.
You mean I can upgrade my phone AND get delicious Chinese food AND shop for my favorite comfy clothing sets at Target?

I am pumped

In all seriousness, I don't care what the heck they put around the arena...I just want a new damn arena.
I hear you and I get the sentiment. I guess I really just think Joe C has neglected to take care of the basketball program as he has other sports and I don't really get how or why. Surely he could have partnered with Toby Keith in some way to help raise money and market the campaign for a new arena independent of outside entities. I don't mean Toby should fund it all, but his help in leading the charge would have been invaluable.

Oh well, give me the bourbon chicken at Pei Wei, an 8$ coffee from Starbucks in Target as I purchase my OU basketball t shirt and bring on Central Arkansas in the new arena with $20 parking and $12 popcorn!! What an experience!!! 😂😂😂

I agree. Allen Fieldhouse is surrounded by a parking garage, baseball stadium, and law school. If the venue is a good one and the team is worth watching, all the other stuff is ancillary. Sure, in an ideal world, there is some cool stuff nearby, but college basketball isn’t exactly a sport that lends itself to tailgating or other pre-or-post game activities. Hell, our fan base generally only wants to attend games in a precise, two-hour window that isn’t too early (tricky to get there after work, after all) or too late (have to get to bed on time). If this comes to fruition, I really hope they do it right and make it a great basketball venue. Don’t be cheap or shortsighted.
You seem to have a hard time not attacking people to make your point. Be better.

There has been some anti-petition stuff being sent around. Makes me worried that the petition is going to get the sigs needed. Is there any way to circumvent that?

You seem to have a hard time not attacking people to make your point. Be better.
Lol who exactly did I attack? Is it a secret that we have a generally crappy fan base that tends to complain if a game isn’t exactly when it’s most convenient for their personal schedule? When we play at 6:00 and the arena is empty at tip, people make the excuse that it’s hard to get there from OKC in time. We play at 8, people complain it’s a late night by the time they get home.

If you think me making a general statement about our fans is an attack, I wonder how you feel about all the things people have said about me. But I’ll try to be better and live up to your standards.

Lol who exactly did I attack? Is it a secret that we have a generally crappy fan base that tends to complain if a game isn’t exactly when it’s most convenient for their personal schedule? When we play at 6:00 and the arena is empty at tip, people make the excuse that it’s hard to get there from OKC in time. We play at 8, people complain it’s a late night by the time they get home.

If you think me making a general statement about our fans is an attack, I wonder how you feel about all the things people have said about me. But I’ll try to be better and live up to your standards.
"Don't be cheap or shortsighted" is an attack. People can have different opinions.

I was referring to the athletic department and hoping that they do it right if they way if it goes through.
Ok, now I understand, thought that was aimed at me. My apologies. The truth is I make games no matter what time they are and have for 30 years. I still don't mind LNC but I understand we need to upgrade for recruiting and I guess for most fans as well. But I don't really expect this new arena to move the needle forward for OU basketball in either attendance or overall program improvement. I'm sure there would be short term increase until the newness wears off but after that what? If the on court product is still what we have currently that new shine will fade quickly!!

Ok, now I understand, thought that was aimed at me. My apologies. The truth is I make games no matter what time they are and have for 30 years. I still don't mind LNC but I understand we need to upgrade for recruiting and I guess for most fans as well. But I don't really expect this new arena to move the needle forward for OU basketball in either attendance or overall program improvement. I'm sure there would be short term increase until the newness wears off but after that what? If the on court product is still what we have currently that new shine will fade quickly!!
No worries, I definitely wasn't referring to you.

And I agree -- there will certainly be a bump initially if it is as nice as the renderings. But if we don't put a good product on the floor, that will fade. Sadly, those of us on this board are among the few diehards who follow the team closely. Most OU fans only pay attention to hoops when the team is really rolling, and even then, it is hit and miss depending on the opponent and game time, etc.

Man, all these premature congratulations for and by OU. This will not even come close to happening with TIF. Lol

That referendum will be filed in a week, and within 2 or 3 weeks of that, more than 6000 signatures will have been gathered.

We are at a little over 2 weeks post decision vote. I do not live in OK, so haven’t been able to hear about every detail of this. Was a petition filed? Have 6000+ signatures been obtained? Does anyone know if there is a time window for that to occur?

PS: This is not me calling you out on your prediction @jdizzle34. Just seemed like you might have had some insight on what was probably going to occur.

We are at a little over 2 weeks post decision vote. I do not live in OK, so haven’t been able to hear about every detail of this. Was a petition filed? Have 6000+ signatures been obtained? Does anyone know if there is a time window for that to occur?

PS: This is not me calling you out on your prediction @jdizzle34. Just seemed like you might have had some insight on what was probably going to occur.
I am presuming that there will be plenty of signatures, and that the petition will be filed the last week it is due, to try to get as many as possible (more than 6k).

They are turning in votes today. Should know by tomorrow if they got enough (I would guess they got way more than enough).

This will go to a vote of the people, and unfortunately, they will vote this down.

Back