New ARENA as part of entertainment District

I am presuming that there will be plenty of signatures, and that the petition will be filed the last week it is due, to try to get as many as possible (more than 6k).
I almost wish I lived in Norman so I could tell these anti-arena types to take a hike when they try to get me to sign their petition.

I'm in favor of this entertainment district because I think it'd be a total win for OU and the gamenight experience, assuming they figure out a way to funnel traffic off of I-35 into the parking lots without too much trouble. It sucks now to want to come to a game and have to fight the Highway 9 traffic while having basically one pregame meal option nearby (Rudy's) and no postgame hangouts nearby to allow folks to relax after the game while the postgame traffic thins out gradually.

I believe I came across something on social media last night that there will be an announcement at 11 AM today from the opposition. That tells you they got the signatures and are filing the petition.

The proponents have started a website that explains all the financial details, building and site questions, and what the overall project could mean to Norman. Granted, it's spin from the pro side, but every Normanite needs to read it to flush out a lot of the misinformation out there, and all the false equivalencies to previous proposals and projects.

NormanRising.com

The Rock Creek Developers, Joe H, and Joe C- and Porter for that matter- need to hire as many door knockers, media interviews, ads, etc. before February because they have GOT to get this passed. Again, I've been vocal that I'd rather have a new/upgraded arena on campus, but developers or BMDs are not interested in doing it. But I do know our basketball program CANNOT afford to stand status quo for another 3-5-7 years on facilities. If that happens, we are stuck in the mud of mediocrity for years to come.

If you love OU hoops or OU, it's this project and hope for the future, or stuck in mediocrity. Easy choice.

When is the deadline to have the signatures?
I think the deadline is tomorrow for 6100 signatures. But the fact they announced an announcement for today tells you they easily got the signatures. They were supposed to go to City Hall and make an announcement this morning.

Last edited:
I hope OU prepared for the prospect of this failing, but I doubt it, based off their social media. They were arrogant enough to think this petition would fail. Lol

OU has no reasons to be arrogant in anything except softball.

I hope OU prepared for the prospect of this failing, but I doubt it, based off their social media. They were arrogant enough to think this petition would fail. Lol

lol, cjh is that you

go back to the poke board.

No doubt that Joe C and Joe H knew this was a possibility and have planned for it.
We all knew it had a chance of going to a vote. You think they didn't lol?

They put up a "coming soon" sign. Are you serious? Lolol

And they definitely didn't forsee 11.6k signatures.
LOL ok. Believe it or not, people that lead universities and ADs, don't get there by chance.
Most of their backgrounds are in business. They know what they are doing.
But yes, keep believing you know more than Joe C and Joe H

this tif is incredibly shady and straight up rotten for norman. the lack of exact details in the final plan, and the process for how this went down and forced through really riled up a lot of people. over 11k signatures? wow. the councilors who voted yes, the mayor, the joe’s played this all wrong. the sec argument was so disingenuous and ridiculous. people do not like this tif. they do not like giving business developers our tax money over 25 years to build a pipe dream of an entertainment district. so freaking laughable.

in fact, this is going so poorly for the entertainment/business development aspect, that i really believe norman voters would be accepting of a new arena alone (no entertainment district. build the arena, businesses will come.) with a good faith effort from all sides involved. my councilwoman stated she was for an arena, but not with this version of the tif. and i couldn’t agree with her more. i think there is a market for 3-5k seat concert venue in the okc/moore/norman area. it sucks for OU basketball, i know. i want a new arena. but not when a few councilmen think have some mandate, and not when a university president and athletic director think they know better than the voters as to what is best for our city.

the mayor’s days are numbered. this was so freaking shady. well done nompton. see you at the polls.

LOL ok. Believe it or not, people that lead universities and ADs, don't get there by chance.
I think giving Joe C. the benefit of the doubt is a thing of the past. He is past his prime.

are they that smart? they sent out mass texts to norman residents about not signing the petition because of how great the tif would be for the city. you know what happened? people who didn’t know what was going on at all got these texts, did some research, and wound up signing the petition. talk about smart…

are they that smart? they sent out mass texts to norman residents about not signing the petition because of how great the tif would be for the city. you know what happened? people who didn’t know what was going on at all got these texts, did some research, and wound up signing the petition. talk about smart…
That goes both ways. My wife did not care either way but it got so many mailings and robo calls against the development, looked into it and will vote for it. My career deals with tifs, this one is not as bad as the are making it out to be as compared to others. Not saying should vote for it, but tif portion is least of the worries on the deal.

this tif is incredibly shady and straight up rotten for norman. the lack of exact details in the final plan, and the process for how this went down and forced through really riled up a lot of people. over 11k signatures? wow. the councilors who voted yes, the mayor, the joe’s played this all wrong. the sec argument was so disingenuous and ridiculous. people do not like this tif. they do not like giving business developers our tax money over 25 years to build a pipe dream of an entertainment district. so freaking laughable.

in fact, this is going so poorly for the entertainment/business development aspect, that i really believe norman voters would be accepting of a new arena alone (no entertainment district. build the arena, businesses will come.) with a good faith effort from all sides involved. my councilwoman stated she was for an arena, but not with this version of the tif. and i couldn’t agree with her more. i think there is a market for 3-5k seat concert venue in the okc/moore/norman area. it sucks for OU basketball, i know. i want a new arena. but not when a few councilmen think have some mandate, and not when a university president and athletic director think they know better than the voters as to what is best for our city.

the mayor’s days are numbered. this was so freaking shady. well done nompton. see you at the polls.
I have it from a board member directly that the council is upset. What I was told is it was truly an 8-1 vote for the project. Behind close doors they made deals to keep some of the members residents happy they publicly voted against but made sure it passed. They thought they would never get the signatures. This could get interesting if people start talking or behind close doors records somehow gets out like before.

Back