New ARENA as part of entertainment District

8,000 is fine. Arena capacities are shrinking as schools are drawing fewer fans yet looking to improve the fan experience. In the SEC, Auburn and Ole Miss both have recently built arenas seating around 8,000. Texas moved from a 16,000 seat arena to a new one that seats 10,000. Give the fans a great experience and they'll come, even if you jack up the prices.

I'm not sure what the options for suites will be in this arena. It would be a way OU could generate revenue, but OU is renting the arena from the city of Norman.

Current plans have around 20% of capacity in premium seating through suites, loge boxes, club seats, etc.

I love the idea. It should help the coaches recruit better players. I wonder what would happen to the Lloyd Noble Center. Would it just be a practice center or be torn down? I also could see more exciting concerts being booked into the new arena.

I love the idea. It should help the coaches recruit better players. I wonder what would happen to the Lloyd Noble Center. Would it just be a practice center or be torn down? I also could see more exciting concerts being booked into the new arena.

I would expect Lloyd Noble to continue as an events space until it's knocked down for new Research Campus or Athletics buildings.

Make the shuttle a "beer bus." That might entice students.

I think this is a great idea, and it will more likely help with recruiting, than it'll hurt it. I think with it being north of town somewhat it'll just attract more people from OKC metro area, and if we bring in better recruits then the results will come, right?

If you build it, they will come!

Not a Norman taxpayer so really hope this gets done. I think the 30 minute round-trip time savings will be huge for the marginal fan commuting from north of Norman to the games.

OU will need massive capex to catch-up facilities wise at first in the SEC so from a University-first mindset, would be great to see.

What’s next for the arena, does the City Council have to approve it?

What’s next for the arena, does the City Council have to approve it?

i believe sometime in the spring the Norman city council is supposed to put it to a vote, what happens exactly after that i do not know but read that if approved it would be between 3-4 years when the arena would be ready, but nothing is official as of now.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/OUDaily/status/1724688826596241653[/tweet]

The resolution for the new arena is making it's way through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Passed 5-4. Those 4 no’s must be a lot of fun.

Passed 5-4. Those 4 no’s must be a lot of fun.

Maybe a few of those 4 should be removed by the voters. Norman city council has seemed anti-OU in a lot of ways for a long time.

Maybe a few of those 4 should be removed by the voters. Norman city council has seemed anti-OU in a lot of ways for a long time.

Often anti-everything. This would be big for norman and ou.

This has nothing to do with being anti OU. And, there’s a reason they took it out of the hands of the voters.

This has nothing to do with being anti OU. And, there’s a reason they took it out of the hands of the voters.

norman in general and the city gov in particular has been anti ou for a long time ..

which is funny since OU is the only reason norman matters

norman in general and the city gov in particular has been anti ou for a long time ..

which is funny since OU is the only reason norman matters

If you say so. I would suggest they kept this decision from the voters because they want it to pass.

Back