New ARENA as part of entertainment District

man, almost all of the local comments on facebook is very critical of this project. I hope it gets the support it needs

man, almost all of the local comments on facebook is very critical of this project. I hope it gets the support it needs

Who still uses Facebook? Probably old people that complain about everything.

Who still uses Facebook? Probably old people that complain about everything.

I'm guessing lots of people who are OU hoops season ticket holders and donors are on FB, but by all means, don't let me stop you from painting with a broad, age-ist brush.

site plan is out

https://www.oudaily.com/news/univer...cle_fe9c4e96-8feb-11ee-9c67-97b9b95e11ae.html

65693e1093933.image.png

Following the OU Board of Regents meeting Thursday, OU President Joseph Harroz Jr. told OU Daily he hasn’t been involved so far directly with the numbers but he expects the finances behind the entertainment district project to be released within the next few weeks.

Harroz explained that with a growing university and a growing city, a place where people can “live, work and play,” language taken directly from the development plans shown during the pre-development meeting, is essential to the continued growth of both.

“Some like to label it as an arena project and it's not,” Harroz said. “That’s an element of an entertainment district that we know the most successful cities have.”

form Joe H

I was skeptical about only having 8k but that now seems about right after the McCasland game. Maybe down the line there can be a way to add more to a new arena and make it more like 10-12k. But having a smaller intimidating arena is the way to go.

Probably not a good sign...
I agree. When this comes up with people I run into in Norman there are lots that are not in favor of any significant City financial investment. Also a lot of moving parts between the City, County, OU and private developers...plenty of chances for someone to change their mind on their level of investment and require a change to the plans.

I don't know any details about any of that but my question is why did Joe C let the arena problem get tied in to the City of Norman. Did Baylor have to get Waco's approval for their new arena? Did TCU have to get Fort Worth's approval for a new arena? It just seems like there is no initiative to get it done on our own and this is just a way of passing the buck and saying well we are trying. I know Joe C is accomplished in a lot of areas and I think if this is really a priority to him he will find a way to get it done with or without the Norman connection. Just my two cents.

For what it's worth, I still don't mind the LNC but I've been attending games there for decades. Everyone seems to think a new arena is vital to the program so if we are going to do it let's quit fooling around and get it done.

I don't know any details about any of that but my question is why did Joe C let the arena problem get tied in to the City of Norman. Did Baylor have to get Waco's approval for their new arena? Did TCU have to get Fort Worth's approval for a new arena? It just seems like there is no initiative to get it done on our own and this is just a way of passing the buck and saying well we are trying. I know Joe C is accomplished in a lot of areas and I think if this is really a priority to him he will find a way to get it done with or without the Norman connection. Just my two cents.

For what it's worth, I still don't mind the LNC but I've been attending games there for decades. Everyone seems to think a new arena is vital to the program so if we are going to do it let's quit fooling around and get it done.
yes the city of waco helped fund the new baylor arena ..

OU is not paying for this arena that is the entire point .. (that money doesn't exist for OU to "get it done" )

This plan is literally Joe C trying to get it done

yes the city of waco helped fund the new baylor arena ..

OU is not paying for this arena that is the entire point .. (that money doesn't exist for OU to "get it done" )
yep, the move to the SEC will help with funding but you are talking at least another 10-20 years maybe longer without major donor contributions. Football (West Side/Press Box), Baseball, and Basketball all need updates. looking at close to a half a billion minimum to get these projects done if all the money came from OU.

I understand the City of Waco participated in funding their arena, but Baylor was the driving force behind the project, not the other way around. As i said, I fully admit I don't know the political details but this "we need a new arena" talk has been around for a decade or more and it seems unlike Joe C to be able to find a solution in that amount of time.

Back