OSU Committ

Re: OSU Commit

Not saying Smart isn't ready for college ball (because he is), but MOST?

Come on, you're better than that, we could go all day about college ready guards.

what does College ready mean anyways? Its not like Smarts going to be an All-American this year. I like this kids game, wish he was in our starting lineup but he reminds me of a better version of Obi Muonelo.

smart is not a point guard but i guess osu is going to play him there anyway

Smart can certainly play the point. More importantly he can defend the point.

As far as the starters go what is everyone basing that on? The Spain trip? Jurick didn't make the Spain trip.

I could see Ford going with

Smart
Brown
Nash
Cobbins
Jurick

with Brian Williams, Kamari Murphy, I've not heard what Olukemi's status is, but he could come in also. I'd like to see what Gardner brings to the table also.

Obviously I think that OSU was counting on Darrell Williams making it back.

Smart can certainly play the point. More importantly he can defend the point.

As far as the starters go what is everyone basing that on? The Spain trip? Jurick didn't make the Spain trip.

I could see Ford going with

Smart
Brown
Nash
Cobbins
Jurick

with Brian Williams, Kamari Murphy, I've not heard what Olukemi's status is, but he could come in also. I'd like to see what Gardner brings to the table also.

Obviously I think that OSU was counting on Darrell Williams making it back.

We are going off of what Ford said his starting lineup was going to be.

and I didn's see a lot from Cobbins, but he's young so he can certainly be a lot better this year.

Cobbins is gone after this year, if Smart is as good as you say, he'll be gone next year too.

Cobbins averaged just under 8 rebs a game in big 12 play last year. Hes still bulking up but is around 225-230 at this point. Not sure why you think hes gone after this year, only a rs soph.

Cobbins averaged just under 8 rebs a game in big 12 play last year. Hes still bulking up but is around 225-230 at this point. Not sure why you think hes gone after this year, only a rs soph.

I meant Nash. My bad.

Who gives a sheet about aggy? Why is it every year we have some long thread about those losers pre season?

Who gives a sheet about aggy? Why is it every year we have some long thread about those losers pre season?

Because someone here starts one I suppose. I actually enjoy looking back at some of those past ones.

Perhaps Ford is still pissed a Jurick for his off season troubles? Thus not starting him.

Or Ford knows he's on the hot seat and feels the best way to win games is putting his 5 best on the court regardless of height.

Perhaps Ford is still pissed a Jurick for his off season troubles? Thus not starting him.

Or Ford knows he's on the hot seat and feels the best way to win games is putting his 5 best on the court regardless of height.

Then hes been on the hotseat from day one. And his record gets worse every year.

Then hes been on the hotseat from day one. And his record gets worse every year.

He caught some bad breaks along the way. His first 2 season were abviously pretty good since he made it to the NCAAs both years. 3rd year he lost his best post player in darrell williams at the worst time and last year he lost half the team to season ending injuries.

Im not saying he's not on the hot seat because he is. But, Marcus Smart is going to single handedly save his job

So Smart is good enough to not only overcome Ford's coaching for 2012-13 but secure his future employment. Wow! Doubt it...

He caught some bad breaks along the way. His first 2 season were abviously pretty good since he made it to the NCAAs both years. 3rd year he lost his best post player in darrell williams at the worst time and last year he lost half the team to season ending injuries.

Im not saying he's not on the hot seat because he is. But, Marcus Smart is going to single handedly save his job

Bad Breaks..I don't think so. What he did was inherit a group that most coach's dream about inheriting and turned it into crap. That 1st year team he had, had elite 8 and Final 4 potential and he screwed it away when he ran off Thomas and Adams. I'm not saying those guys were all world, but it would have been better rebounding and defense and not have made Muonelo play out of position. Ford was left with 4 solid guards...Eaton, Muonelo, Harris, and Anderson. In my eyes...his teams have underachieved every year.

I like Smart's game...but the only players capable of saving Fords job is Jurick, Cobbins, Soucek and Murphy. And since only one will be on the floor at a time, chances are slim. Who's going to slow down Withey and Ellis(2 losses); Austin, Morgan, Jefferson, and Gathers(2 losses); Kilicli and Murray(2 losses); Holmes and Ridley(2 losses)...these are 4 returning tournament teams that should all be better than last season, except for KU. They may squeak out an upset or 2 in there but they are not going to coast thru the other big 12 teams. OU, K-St, and ISU will be tough to beat as well.

Bad Breaks..I don't think so. What he did was inherit a group that most coach's dream about inheriting and turned it into crap. That 1st year team he had, had elite 8 and Final 4 potential and he screwed it away when he ran off Thomas and Adams. I'm not saying those guys were all world, but it would have been better rebounding and defense and not have made Muonelo play out of position. Ford was left with 4 solid guards...Eaton, Muonelo, Harris, and Anderson. In my eyes...his teams have underachieved every year.

I like Smart's game...but the only players capable of saving Fords job is Jurick, Cobbins, Soucek and Murphy. And since only one will be on the floor at a time, chances are slim. Who's going to slow down Withey and Ellis(2 losses); Austin, Morgan, Jefferson, and Gathers(2 losses); Kilicli and Murray(2 losses); Holmes and Ridley(2 losses)...these are 4 returning tournament teams that should all be better than last season, except for KU. They may squeak out an upset or 2 in there but they are not going to coast thru the other big 12 teams. OU, K-St, and ISU will be tough to beat as well.

Those group of players he inherited got beat in the first round of the NIT every year they were at OSU. Ford took them to the second round of the NCAA. Eaton was awful until Ford got there. And he didnt run Thomas off, he was a ***** who didnt want to play inside. He wanted to play the 2.

And what is your obsession with big men? Mizzou almost won the big 12 last year with 1 big man on the roster

You just contradicted yourself. You say you have to have a stable of big men to do well but then go on to say that the only reason Ford made the NCAAs is becasue he inherited good guards. lol

Last edited:
Blake single handedly saved Capels job

Blake arrived in Capel's 2nd season not his 5th. Capel inherited a dreadful roster and hadn't proven he wasn't up to the job yet. Ford inherited a very talented roster and has done worse each season as he has added his recruits. He's proven he can't coach at this level. Adding one talented recruit is changing anything, ie LeBryan Nash last season...

Smart compared to Blake...? No comparison, sorry.

I never compared the two's skills, as that would be insane. Im saying Smart is going to save Fords job just like Blake saved Capels.

Last edited:
Back