OSU Committ

I liked that Willie Warren but I remember the one from 2009-10. Smart seems to be a better teammate, better understanding of team. We'll see.

Sounding like and being one....who knows? Strange things can happen in the team dynamic. I think our entire program was falling apart at the seams in 2009-10, and not just because of Warren. Last part of that video, Warren had 29 points and there were a few other games when Blake was wearing shades on the sidelines that Warren also played in beast mode.

My overriding point is that wondering out loud if Smart can come in his Freshman year and make the same contribution as Warren did in his Freshman year isn't an insult to Smart that warrants some oSu fan getting all put out about it as an insult or something. If I had to guess, I'd say Smart will have a better college career, but that was never my original premise, it was whether Smart would be better as a Freshman than Willie Warren, much less Blake Griffin.

It is an interesting comparison. I certainly don't think Warren had the hype or, some might say unfair, expectations Smart has. I will say this as far as impact...if Smart has the same impact in his 1st season as Warren did, I think O-State fans will be disappointed. It seems they and Ford are expecting a messiah to lead them to the promised land...

It is an interesting comparison. I certainly don't think Warren had the hype or, some might say unfair, expectations Smart has. I will say this as far as impact...if Smart has the same impact in his 1st season as Warren did, I think O-State fans will be disappointed. It seems they and Ford are expecting a messiah to lead them to the promised land...

Then they are setting themselves up for it, because by the time conference play rolled around, Warren was nails in his freshman year. The main difference between Warren's situation and Smart's situation is that Warren didn't have to nor was he expected to play point guard because of Austin Johnson. If Smart is going to have that responsibility thrown on him as well, it's quite a bit.

I'm curious to see him as a point. In my mind, I'm seeing a Tyreke Evans type, who dominates the ball and uses his physicality more than skill. I don't see that working well in this conference.

I'm curious to see him as a point. In my mind, I'm seeing a Tyreke Evans type, who dominates the ball and uses his physicality more than skill. I don't see that working well in this conference.

Or with Nash who probably wouldn't be thrilled since he is trying to play his way into a lottery pick this season. That's why I was saying a team dynamic can change pretty quickly, and nothing Ford has done other than out-perform a drug addict has shown me he is up to the task.

I agree on Nash, especially if he has to keep playing out of position at the 4.

Does Willie Warren's career remind anyone else of how Mo Baker's went?

I'm not seeing it. Mo Baker graduated after his two years at OSU, and his Senior year, he had a ton of injuries hampering him big time. His Junior year at OSU was one of the best seasons from a guard in Big XII history.

19.8 ppg, 4.2 apg, 6.7 rpg, 2.0 spg, shot 52.5% from the field and 40.8 from beyond the arc.

But, it is very possible I'm forgetting some comparison.

Unless you meant in the pros, then yeah, I could see that.

I meant how good they were in their first year and then fell off due to injuries or whatever the next. Both were really promising in their initial seasons.

Back