>>>>>>OU-Creighton Gameday Thread<<<<<<

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210591945

SATURDAY'S GAME BASICS
No. 3 Oklahoma hosts the Creighton Bluejays on Saturday, Dec. 19, inside Lloyd Noble Center at 1 p.m. CT. OU, which is 7-0 and one of eight remaining undefeated D-I teams this year, is in its fifth season under head coach Lon Kruger. The Bluejays, coached by Greg McDermott, are 7-3 this season (5-1 home, 0-2 away, 2-0 neutral).

ON THE AIR
Saturday’s contest will air on the Sooner Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM “The Franchise” in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa) with Toby Rowland and Scott Thompson announcing. The game will be televised by ESPNU with Ted Emrich and Bryndon Manzer calling the action.

TICKETS
Tickets are available starting at $10 at the OU Athletics Ticket Office (800-456-4668) and online here. Lloyd Noble Center's north and east ticket windows will open at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday.

SCOUTING THE BLUEJAYS
Creighton is 7-3 after picking up home wins last week over Nebraska (83-67) and IUPUI (90-65) in which the Bluejays never trailed.

The Bluejays return nine lettermen and one starter (Toby Hegner) from last year’s team that finished 14-19 and tied for ninth in the BIG EAST with a 4-14 league mark. The Bluejays are scoring 85.5 points per game and have five men scoring in double-figures.

Boston University transfer Maurice Watson Jr. leads Creighton with 6.2 assists per contest and is second with 11.7 points per game, while Isaiah Zierden tops the club with 12.0 points and 1.9 steals per game.

Also in double-figures is freshman Khyri Thomas (10.8 ppg.), a guard who has made 16-of-19 field goals over the past three games and averaged team-bests of 14.0 points and 7.3 rebounds in that time. This year’s team, with five double-figure scorers, is the only time since 1994-95 that Creighton has had more than three players scoring in double figures after 10 games.

CU’s Dec. 9 win over Nebraska was the 127th on the Creighton sideline for head coach Greg McDermott. The triumph helped McDermott pass Eddie Hickey for fifth in Creighton history in wins.

The Bluejays got a head start on the season last summer with 10 practices in Omaha in July and three games in Italy in August.

OU and CU have split the all-time series, 2-2. Most recently, Creighton claimed a 65-63 home win over OU last season on Nov. 19. The first meeting between the two schools dates back to the 1920-21 season, when OU fell at CU by a 27-16 final. The Sooners recorded victories over the Jays on Dec. 8, 1973 (73-70) and on Dec. 21, 1986 (106-89).

GAMEDAY STORYLINES
Creighton visits Norman with a 7-3 record on the season. The two teams have split the all-time series, 2-2. Most recently, Creighton claimed a 65-63 home win over OU last season on Nov. 19.

Oklahoma is one of eight Division I teams (Iowa State, Little Rock, Michigan State, Purdue, SMU, South Carolina and Xavier) still undefeated on the season.

OU currently ranks first in the country in 3-point field goal percentage (.487) by hitting 75-154 of its shots from downtown this season. Six Sooners are averaging at least .500 from beyond the arc, led by Isaiah Cousins and Jordan Woodard, who are both shooting .548 (17-31). OU’s average of 10.7 3-point makes per game ranks 10th nationally. OU’s all-time record for 3-point field goal percentage in a season is .414 (1986-87).

Through seven games this season, Sooner opponents have struggled shooting from the field. OU ranks No. 2 in the nation in field goal percentage defense (.340), including fourth nationally in 3-point field goal defense (.240). On the season, OU foes are just 44-183 from downtown (compared to Oklahoma’s 75-154, .487 3FG% effort).

The Sooners rank in the top 10 in both scoring offense with 87.9 points per game (seventh) and scoring margin (+24.9, fourth) by holding opponents to just 63.0 points per contest. OU is led in scoring by 2015 Big 12 Player of the Year Buddy Hield, who is averaging 22.1 points (13th nationally).

The Sooners are getting significantly more production from their bench than a season ago. Through seven games in 2015-16, OU’s reserves (excluding walk-ons) are averaging 64.7 minutes played (out of possible 200), 21.3 points, 12.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game. Last season, Oklahoma’s reserves (excluding walk-ons) averaged 42.5 minutes played (out of possible 200), 11.4 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.4 assists per contest (35 total games).

Re: OU-Creighton Pregame Notes | SoonerSports.com

Anyone have a clue how much money a guy like Byndon Manzer makes calling games? Obviously he is not at the top of the list but he seems to work regularly and have a pretty good career going. I assume he does well but have no clue if that is like a $100,000 a year job or several hundred thousand a year or if those numbers are even descent guesses.

Also what do those guys do in the summer? (Same thing with the football guys, do they work non stop during the season and then get a lot of time off?)

I like him and think he does a good job. You can hardly tell he is an OSU guy.

Anyone have a clue how much money a guy like Byndon Manzer makes calling games? Obviously he is not at the top of the list but he seems to work regularly and have a pretty good career going. I assume he does well but have no clue if that is like a $100,000 a year job or several hundred thousand a year or if those numbers are even descent guesses.

Also what do those guys do in the summer? (Same thing with the football guys, do they work non stop during the season and then get a lot of time off?)

Just a guess but I would say for someone on Manzer's tier/level it's closer to $50K

No idea, but I don't think it's all that much. I would guess it's maybe in the range of $1,000/game. More if he does it for a major network. It's a part-time job to supplement Bryndon's income as a financial advisor. He's almost like a college basketball referee and gets paid by the game plus travel. JMHO.

I don't know Bryndon, but I knew his father, Lee Manzer (OSU Management prof). Great family. I agree Bryndon does a good job.

Announcers earned an average salary of $57,980 in television and $35,820 in radio in May 2010, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Excluding the highest-paid announcers, the range of salaries reported by professional sports broadcasters is between $18,824 and $75,754 per year. Jobs are available in more than just top networks. You may be able to find positions with colleges, minor league clubs, sports arenas, high schools, colleges, and more.

Re: >>>>>>OU-Creighton Gameday Thread<<<<<<

Slow start but Woodard is now tied with Creighton.

Slow start, but offense is heating up now - 7-5 OU

OU is getting easy looks they just weren't going early on.

We look quicker than they do.

14-11 at under 16

Come on Sooners! another revenge game!
Between football and basketball, the Sooners are pretty good in these after recently getting Wisconsin before Bo Ryan quit.

OU just has so many guys who can hit from so many places that you cant cover it all if they have the slightest patience and move the ball a bit.

Thought we sold out the student section? Looks empty or is that due to finals being over and everyone headed home

Walker & AK in the game now

Swift and patient move by Manyang.

Manyang battling with their 7 footer and looking to score.

21-16; timeout Creighton at 11:40

Defense needs to play better. Just seem a step or two off there.

Manyang looks like he is going to be a good inside scorer. Nice move and score

Manyang battling with their 7 footer and looking to score.

I am surprised at AK is so aggressive offensively. That will help open up the perimeter shooters

Back