#23 OU @ UCF 3pm CST on ESPN+

Everything you say here is correct. Basketball is not a complicated sport. Movement without the ball on offense is critical at every level. I coach small ball junior high and high school and I CONSTANTLY get on to players for passing and then watching the guy with the ball. Cut, screen away, curl, do something. Moser is 1,000,0000 times the coach I will ever be so I’m not sure where the disconnect with his offense is.

Against Tech the offense moved really well. There were off the ball screens, double screens, etc. I hope they can replicate that more in the future.
There is a striking difference between our offense and good offenses. KU moves it side to side more in a two or three minute segment than we do in a half. Houston is so good at doubling the post, but when they did it yesterday, Dickinson would make a quick read and fire a pass that either led to an open shot or got the defense scrambling and served as a hockey assist. And even when they turn it over, which definitely annoys their fans, they are the kind of turnovers you can live with because they are trying to make an extra pass rather than just being careless with the ball. There are almost no possessions where Harris or McCullar brings the ball up and just stands dribbling the air out of the ball at the top of the key.

I realize we aren’t Kansas. But in a way, that makes it even more important for us to run good offense. Nonstop high ball screens just won’t work with the personnel we have.

There is a striking difference between our offense and good offenses. KU moves it side to side more in a two or three minute segment than we do in a half. Houston is so good at doubling the post, but when they did it yesterday, Dickinson would make a quick read and fire a pass that either led to an open shot or got the defense scrambling and served as a hockey assist. And even when they turn it over, which definitely annoys their fans, they are the kind of turnovers you can live with because they are trying to make an extra pass rather than just being careless with the ball. There are almost no possessions where Harris or McCullar brings the ball up and just stands dribbling the air out of the ball at the top of the key.

I realize we aren’t Kansas. But in a way, that makes it even more important for us to run good offense. Nonstop high ball screens just won’t work with the personnel we have.
I agree with everything you say. I think Hugley was brought in to run the pick and roll. I do not think anyone (including the coaching staff) thought Godwin would be starting this late into the season.

If you’re going to run that high ball screen then bring Northweather in because he atleast is somewhat of a threat from three. Then you have the option of a pick and pop. He actually did that a couple times against Kansas if I remember correctly.

if OU wins both games next week they will be ranked again
Honestly, though, who cares if we are in the top 25? That has no bearing on making the tournament or where we finish in the conference. We are ranked solely based on our noncon record, and all that shows is that a lot of voters don’t really pay attention to who you play. We shot up because we were 10-0, and we now know only one of those wins meant anything.

I agree with everything you say. I think Hugley was brought in to run the pick and roll. I do not think anyone (including the coaching staff) thought Godwin would be starting this late into the season.

If you’re going to run that high ball screen then bring Northweather in because he atleast is somewhat of a threat from three. Then you have the option of a pick and pop. He actually did that a couple times against Kansas if I remember correctly.
Agree on Hugley. His inability to get in good enough shape to take over the starting role and play 28 or so minutes is really hurting us. I was pleased when we signed him, but knowing now that he isn’t in good shape, it seems an odd fit for a coach who claimed like his goal was to play fast this season. Take away the USC game, and he hasn’t been much of a threat from 3.

If we get swept next week, I'll join the doom and gloom party. I'm not gonna **** the bed about this team just hanging around .500, when our best conference record since Buddy left is 9-8. If we exclude years when we have a top 5 draft pick, that 9-8 season is the only year since Sampson we were above .500.
Yes. This is how far the program has fallen and nobody in a leadership role seems to care. They accept this mediocrity as the new normal. Why should I care about the program if those running it don’t care?

We don’t want to compete for championships. We make no effort to compete for championships. If we make the tourney, that’s considered good enough. That’s the goal and nothing more. Meanwhile, other teams that have historically been below us have passed us by and left us in the dirt. Good times for OU basketball.

Yes. This is how far the program has fallen and nobody in a leadership role seems to care. They accept this mediocrity as the new normal. Why should I care about the program if those running it don’t care?

We don’t want to compete for championships. We make no effort to compete for championships. If we make the tourney, that’s considered good enough. That’s the goal and nothing more. Meanwhile, other teams that have historically been below us have passed us by and left us in the dirt. Good times for OU basketball.
I think Moser was brought in to change all that. Even if you weren’t happy with the hire I think we can all agree the expectation was Moser was supposed to take OU to the next level. Kruger got OU out of a crap sandwich and got the program to a respectable level. Then you hire a guy like Moser: a young, high energy guy with the ability to recruit. He then was supposed to get OU from respectable to championship. Now I don’t think that is what is going to happen. The big question is: what will Joe C do when it’s apparent that Moser cannot take OU to the next level? That will be a big determining factor on how important the program is to the university.

Last edited:
OU may have peaked too early in the season, or could be they just ain't as good as we all thought
either way they sure are not a top 20 team at this point
I was suckered in as much as anyone. I thought this was a "different" team. But our "peaking" early had more to do with not playing anyone worth a damn outside of Providence and UNC. And thus the fools gold.

Interestingly I was really “down” on Jenny B and the women’s team. My sis played at ksu way back and I’ve coached hs girls sooo I have a soft spot.

I was really frustrated that they turned it over, didn’t seem to be able to run anything but run/gun.

Actually lost to a subpar team right before the b12. They are now sitting in 2nd place, only 1 loss, beat ranked horns in Austin, #2 ksu…

So maybe there is a chance the guys can turn it around and finish really strong …🤪

Interestingly I was really “down” on Jenny B and the women’s team. My sis played at ksu way back and I’ve coached hs girls sooo I have a soft spot.

I was really frustrated that they turned it over, didn’t seem to be able to run anything but run/gun.

Actually lost to a subpar team right before the b12. They are now sitting in 2nd place, only 1 loss, beat ranked horns in Austin, #2 ksu…

So maybe there is a chance the guys can turn it around and finish really strong …🤪
The women had a bad stretch, no doubt, but they had every excuse to be underwhelming: They lost their three best players to graduation and their senior leader to injury before the season started. But they kept fighting and have turned it around. They've also cut down on their biggest bugaboo: turnovers. They had 16 yesterday, but in the three games before that, they had a combined 27.

Last edited:
The women had a bad stretch, no doubt, but they had every excuse to be underwhelming: They lost their three best players to graduation and their senior leader to injury before the season started. But they kept fighting and have turned it around. They've also cut down on their biggest bugaboo: turnovers. They had 16 yesterday, but in the three game before that, they had a combined 27.
I don’t follow them as closely as some of you, but the other obvious difference is that Jenny B has shown she can win at OU. That, plus the issues you noted, give her a lot longer leash than what Porter should have.

I was suckered in as much as anyone. I thought this was a "different" team. But our "peaking" early had more to do with not playing anyone worth a damn outside of Providence and UNC. And thus the fools gold.

I still stand by this team being different than the rest of Moser's era. If you mean that it's not different than the last 8 seasons, I'm with you there.

If we go 2-0 this week, it will be hard for this year to be an L. If we go 0-2, it will be hard for this year to be a W. I think we'll do what we continue to do and split 1-1.

I don’t follow them as closely as some of you, but the other obvious difference is that Jenny B has shown she can win at OU. That, plus the issues you noted, give her a lot longer leash than what Porter should have.
She also inherited more talent than Moser did. She had two years with three of OU's best players and three years with Skylar Vann.

Last year we had several games we lost in the end by what felt like a bucket. This year we are better .. but now I kind of expect us to get back to avg since 2016. Win just enough to somehow crawl into the tourney.

Could also just be 2016 Final Four ptsd talking lol. I was sitting in the Villanova section in Houston and got to watch us lose by ~50 and then Lon started that streak of being the worst P5 team selected every year lol.

The women had a bad stretch, no doubt, but they had every excuse to be underwhelming: They lost their three best players to graduation and their senior leader to injury before the season started. But they kept fighting and have turned it around. They've also cut down on their biggest bugaboo: turnovers. They had 16 yesterday, but in the three games before that, they had a combined 27.
Definitely agree… I knew had some talent transfer in though. But, yes takes time to jell.

With horns beating ksu today puts us in 1st

No more lady’s team talk… sorry. lol

She also inherited more talent than Moser did. She had two years with three of OU's best players and three years with Skylar Vann.
Well, right now they are both coaching rosters that are entirely their own. If Moser can’t get this group to the tourney, despite all the talk about increased talent, that’s even more damning than the last two seasons.

Well, right now they are both coaching rosters that are entirely their own. If Moser can’t get this group to the tourney, despite all the talk about increased talent, that’s even more damning than the last two seasons.
No, Coach B. currently has two key players she did not recruit: Tot and Vann. Then there's Scott, who will hopefully return at full strength next season for her final campaign. I'm not trying to make excuses for Coach Moser. We've had talented players leave under his watch who could have helped us if they'd remained and his first two portal classes were underwhelming. I'm just saying his situation and Coach B.'s are not all that much alike.

I'm a big of Coach Baranczyk and think what she's done is very impressive. Sherri Coale had those same talented players on her last roster but accomplished much less with them. And I don't know the circumstances, but I wonder if Jenny is to be credited for all that talent sticking around after Coale's departure.

I think it's a factor that's often ignored when there's a coaching change. Many more men left than women when Baranczyk and Moser came on board. Does she deserve credit, and if so, so does he deserve blame? It's very hard to say. I know the default is not to blame a new coach when players depart after he or she is hired--and I get that--but if they stay, should he or she get credit? And if so, should they get some of the blame if most of the players leave? I don't have the answer, but I'm glad those players did stick around for Coach B. They've been a joy to watch these three seasons.

Last edited:
Back