OU vs osu 6pm CST on ESPN+ ....Toby Keith Night

I wondered during the game if that T on Godwin allowed him to say whatever he wanted for the rest of the game. After all, he already had five fouls and was out of the game. I'm sure they could have called a bench foul, but it would be funny if fouling out freed a player to say what was really on his mind.

Last edited:
Moser did a good job coaching the Sooners to stay focused on overcoming the adversity of the worst officiating you can imagine.

Listened to the radio replay, and Toby Rowland had the call of the season when he said that the fan who made the half court shot got T’d up for celebrating too much. He jokingly said the foul shots will be taken in the rematch in stillwater.
He coached uptight.

When he coaches uptight they play upright.

Dropped 3 spots to 30th in the Net after last night's win. Got to win in stoolwater, beat cincy again, and hopefully win one of the others we'll most likely be dogs in.

I know I dont watch as much basketball as many on this board but how many conference games have you seen three technical fouls called on the home team? Much less a bench technical fouls where someone fouls out as a result.
Well, Baylor last week got at least three in the home game against ISU, including one of the weakest head coach ejections ever. But again, you generally don’t see it because most players are composed enough not to push the envelope the way a couple of our guys do. In college, pretty much everyone knows that there are a couple things you can’t do: stare down and yell directly at your opponents, and demonstrably argue with the refs. Question them a bit? Sure, within reason. But angrily arguing and showing them up is a no-no, just like in baseball. And at a minimum, once we got the first one, the guys need to realize that the crew wasn’t going to let things slide.

Dropped 3 spots to 30th in the Net after last night's win. Got to win in stoolwater, beat cincy again, and hopefully win one of the others we'll most likely be dogs in.
Such a weird system that OU can win and drop in the NET. Oh well. 20 wins gets them to the tourney. 21 would be a great seed. The problem is after last night I’m not sure they can win in Stillwater.

Well, Baylor last week got at least three in the home game against ISU, including one of the weakest head coach ejections ever. But again, you generally don’t see it because most players are composed enough not to push the envelope the way a couple of our guys do. In college, pretty much everyone knows that there are a couple things you can’t do: stare down and yell directly at your opponents, and demonstrably argue with the refs. Question them a bit? Sure, within reason. But angrily arguing and showing them up is a no-no, just like in baseball. And at a minimum, once we got the first one, the guys need to realize that the crew wasn’t going to let things slide.
Sure and the Baylor AD is on record saying the officiating was an “embarrassment to the league.”

I don’t disagree but not sure this doesn’t really change the observation that the officiating last night was pretty shitty? Seems like it’s ok for fans/coaches/players/administrators to bitch about it haha.

Good point. He's been really clutch from the FT line....

I've been saying repeatedly that I love Soares closing games due to his defensive versatility and FT shooting. Darthard is similar to a lesser extent, and it made me consider swapping out JM for him late. Of course, those two combined for 1-5 last night from the line! Moser found a way around needing to consider that.

Moser did an excellent job late last night with the substitutions. He had JM in offensively, and after he made the FTs, he would sub in Darthard for defense.

It's my belief that Soares intentionally fouled OSU at halfcourt in order to send them to the line and not let them get a 3 point attempt off. It was an earlier foul than I'm used to, but it's a great move in hindsight with a guy like JM. He's automatic from the line, and it's really hard to deny him the inbound pass or trap him. I'll trade FT shots with anybody in the country if we have a lead, which could be a crucial advantage in the postseason.

Yeah, playing poorly and barely scraping out a home win over the worst team in the league can definitely hurt you in some of the components that go into the NET.

He coached uptight.

When he coaches uptight they play upright.
One of two things: Either he was really feeling the pressure of winning this game because it's Bedlam and a great crowd; something he couldn't do last year. Or, it has to do with the rumors of him taking another job.

One of two things: Either he was really feeling the pressure of winning this game because it's Bedlam and a great crowd; something he couldn't do last year. Or, it has to do with the rumors of him taking another job.

I think it was a combination of Bedlam and Toby Keith. I hope he loosens up down the stretch. Overall it’s a big improvement from last year with basically a team of role players.

I think it was a combination of Bedlam and Toby Keith. I hope he loosens up down the stretch. Overall it’s a big improvement from last year with basically a team of role players.
people say this now, but two months ago, Los and JM were NBA guys and Oweh was the best guard in the league.

We don’t have stars, I agree. No one on our roster is even going to be second team all league unless someone goes off the last 7 games. But my issue has always been with some of the low IQ play and the awful halfcourt offense. You don’t need stars to play smart, tough basketball.

I don’t know if many of you saw it, but Self’s presser after their game yesterday was so telling. They had just beaten a top 15 team, and they did it without their best player/leading scorer who may end up winning conference POY. But he was pissed because KU made a handful of boneheaded plays that nearly lost them the game in the last minute. He said it was the least satisfied he has been after a win in a long time. I’d like to see more of that from Moser. Demand more so that the same issues don’t linger for three seasons. I get that we are over .500, but it feels like our level of play leaves a lot to be desired from a fundamental standpoint. Kelvin rarely had elite talent but his teams always played smart, fundamental basketball. His coaching gave us an advantage. I never feel that way with Moser.

people say this now, but two months ago, Los and JM were NBA guys and Oweh was the best guard in the league.

We don’t have stars, I agree. No one on our roster is even going to be second team all league unless someone goes off the last 7 games. But my issue has always been with some of the low IQ play and the awful halfcourt offense. You don’t need stars to play smart, tough basketball.

I don’t know if many of you saw it, but Self’s presser after their game yesterday was so telling. They had just beaten a top 15 team, and they did it without their best player/leading scorer who may end up winning conference POY. But he was pissed because KU made a handful of boneheaded plays that nearly lost them the game in the last minute. He said it was the least satisfied he has been after a win in a long time. I’d like to see more of that from Moser. Demand more so that the same issues don’t linger for three seasons. I get that we are over .500, but it feels like our level of play leaves a lot to be desired from a fundamental standpoint. Kelvin rarely had elite talent but his teams always played smart, fundamental basketball. His coaching gave us an advantage. I never feel that way with Moser.
Do you see the irony in dissing the talent but also not giving the coach credit for us being a top 25 team?

Can’t have your cake and eat it too

Do you see the irony in dissing the talent but also not giving the coach credit for us being a top 25 team?

Can’t have your cake and eat it too
Well, first of all, the coach is responsible for bringing in the players, so if the talent is lacking, that’s on him. I don’t think our talent is bad. I just pointed out that two months ago, people were so bullish on our talent, and now they are back tracking when they see us against good teams.

But in any event, we aren’t top 25 where it matters, and by season’s end, I suspect we won’t be particularly close in the polls or the metrics. And like I said, it doesn’t require All America talent to play smart basketball. When a team makes the same mistakes and the coach can’t get them corrected, who does that fall on?

Well, first of all, the coach is responsible for bringing in the players, so if the talent is lacking, that’s on him. I don’t think our talent is bad. I just pointed out that two months ago, people were so bullish on our talent, and now they are back tracking when they see us against good teams.

But in any event, we aren’t top 25 where it matters, and by season’s end, I suspect we won’t be particularly close in the polls or the metrics. And like I said, it doesn’t require All America talent to play smart basketball. When a team makes the same mistakes and the coach can’t get them corrected, who does that fall on?
All I’m hearing is your refuse to give PM any type of credit.

Back