OU @ #6 ISU 7pm CST on ESPN+

and yet you also admitted you don't know if he is or isn't giving attention to NIL lol

I just don't understand the thinking of ragging on Moser for visiting frat houses or trying to get an arena. It is utterly baffling to me to complain about this. Like you really think that this is causing interference with his coaching? You think it is a bad thing to focus on improving the program outside of the game itself?
During Venables bad first season, would he have gotten the same criticism if he wanted to improve the gameday environment and tailgating scene?

During Venables bad first season, would he have gotten the same criticism if he wanted to improve the gameday environment and tailgating scene?
The two remind me a lot of each other, and not in good ways. Both seem like they came straight off the used car lot.

You want some rumored NIL numbers?

Indiana - $4M (Liam McNeeley, for example, $700K)
Texas - $4M
Kentucky - $7M

Dayton's DaRon Holmes - $650K alone...Dayton's supposedly paying a tad over $1M collectively

Saint Louis - $750K (they suck, lol, but Travis Ford has almost always sucked)

and these are the rumored ranked budgets for the Big 12 this season...

Kansas
Texas

Texas Tech
WVU
BYU
Houston

TCU
Cincy
Baylor
K-State
Iowa State
Oklahoma

UCF
OK State

-

take all of that with a grain of salt...but it comes from Trilly/discord community.
And yet, last year, we were led to believe that KSU and Baylor and ISU were leaps and bounds ahead of us and that's why it was so easy for KSU and ISU to pull immediate turnarounds.

And yet, last year, we were led to believe that KSU and Baylor and ISU were leaps and bounds ahead of us and that's why it was so easy for KSU and ISU to pull immediate turnarounds.
IF true.

Could definitely be Trilly knowing some schools while guessing on others. I would bet on Baylor being closer to Texas and/or Kansas than OU.

My guess would be

Texas
Kansas

Baylor
Tech
Houston

KState
WVU (most were locked in when Huggins was HC)

BYU
Iowa State

TCU
Cincy
OU

OKState
UCF

I didn't bring any of those things up. I do think some of our fans are far too dependent upon them as excuses. The truth is, Sampson, Kruger and even Capel faced the same challenges you keep bringing up and each enjoyed greater early success than Moser has. As has Coach Baranczyk. I've never once heard her denigrate the LNC or complain about the dominance of football at OU (or about the greater funding men's hoops receives compared to women's--twice as much).

What exactly did you mean when you said Moser needs to get out there and sell his program to the donors instead of engaging the students?

Lol you thought Lincoln Riley was a good coach
Lincoln was a brilliant offensive coach who couldn't coach defense or special teams to save his life, and who has the thinnest skin imaginable. Add it all up, and you knew you were looking at 10 or 11 regular season wins, a likely conference title, likely playoff berth, and an ass-kicking in the semifinal. I can't stand the guy, but there are worse things than winning conference titles every year.

Brent is a good defensive mind who has shown no ability to manage a game or coach special teams, and the offense is far worse than it was before he was hired, both from a talent and production standpoint. He also has shown an alarming tendency to lose to less talented teams. As much as I hated getting smoked by Bama or LSU in playoff games, at least we got there because we took care of the teams along the way. People love Brent because they remember what he did early in his time as DC, and because they like his personality compared to Lincoln. I care much more about having someone who won't waste timeouts, put the wrong personnel on the field, or blow leads because he coaches scared.

It’s amazing anyone can argue that our offensive system is a good one. We have multiple examples in our league of what good offense looks like. Watch KU move the ball. Watch BYU actually space the floor and truly give guys the green light. You can argue all you want that a system is good in theory, but if you lack shooters (which we do) and don’t have guys who can beat guys off the dribble and finish (again, us), then it’s not a system you should be running.

We actually finished in the top half of the league in 3 pt percentage last year. That was somewhat misleading based on how Grant shot the first couple months, but still, our shooting was ok. But we still struggled to score. In the offseason, he addressed the lack of athleticism, but didn’t bring in a single good shooter. JM is a volume shooter who clearly is used to having the ball in his hand the entire game, and I’m sure he was able to have some success with his flashy dribbling and step backs against low major competition. That style is killing us in the Big 12.

I fully agree that the sport has evolved to where layups and threes are what you want, with little in between. Yet Moser has put together a roster that lacks finishers AND shooters. Soares and Moore can finish but aren’t good enough handlers to let them create offense. And let’s not forget how invisible Darthard has been other than his short stretch where he shot well for two or three games.

Moser will end up back at the mid major level, hopefully sooner than later. And he will probably have some success there. But he has shown no ability to create an offense that puts the ball in the basket against good teams. We may well end up not scoring 100 points total in our two games this week, and that won’t be remotely surprising. It’s what any OU fan should expect based on the past three seasons.

He is so fortunate that JM made the shot Saturday because otherwise, this would be a full meltdown because we would need to win two of our next three to make the tournament. We look completely outclassed against the good teams on our schedule. I think the progress from last year to this is much smaller than people realize.
The results are bad, but the process is fine. Kelvin Sampson had a good quote last week about the schools that are continuously at the top are built on high school recruitment and development. That's where OU should go. Run schemes that are done at the pro level and develop kids to get to that level.

Lincoln was a brilliant offensive coach who couldn't coach defense or special teams to save his life, and who has the thinnest skin imaginable. Add it all up, and you knew you were looking at 10 or 11 regular season wins, a likely conference title, likely playoff berth, and an ass-kicking in the semifinal. I can't stand the guy, but there are worse things than winning conference titles every year.

Brent is a good defensive mind who has shown no ability to manage a game or coach special teams, and the offense is far worse than it was before he was hired, both from a talent and production standpoint. He also has shown an alarming tendency to lose to less talented teams. As much as I hated getting smoked by Bama or LSU in playoff games, at least we got there because we took care of the teams along the way. People love Brent because they remember what he did early in his time as DC, and because they like his personality compared to Lincoln. I care much more about having someone who won't waste timeouts, put the wrong personnel on the field, or blow leads because he coaches scared.

Lincoln Riley can’t accomplish any of that without Bob Stoops established staff and team. Every year has been worse than the previous year, since he was handed the keys to the Stoops Ferrari.

The fact you think he is still good speaks volumes.

Lincoln Riley can’t accomplish any of that without Bob Stoops established staff and team. Every year has been worse than the previous year, since he was handed the keys to the Stoops Ferrari.

The fact you think he is still good speaks volumes.
This argument always makes me laugh. The program and offense had stagnated so badly that he fired one of his favorite former players and brought in Lincoln to run the offense. That was when the offense took off, and the offense was why the program got back on track despite playing terrible defense. The defense became LR's responsibility when he became head coach, and he failed miserably at fixing it. But the reason the offense was a Ferrari was because that's what Riley had turned it into. It's as if everyone forgets how our offense looked the last couple of years before Stoops fired Huepel.

This argument always makes me laugh. The program and offense had stagnated so badly that he fired one of his favorite former players and brought in Lincoln to run the offense. That was when the offense took off, and the offense was why the program got back on track despite playing terrible defense. The defense became LR's responsibility when he became head coach, and he failed miserably at fixing it. But the reason the offense was a Ferrari was because that's what Riley had turned it into. It's as if everyone forgets how our offense looked the last couple of years before Stoops fired Huepel.
This post is irrelevant to the post you quoted

What exactly did you mean when you said Moser needs to get out there and sell his program to the donors instead of engaging the students?
It has been suggested that our purportedly limited NIL is the greatest impediment to men's hoops at OU reaching the level of success we all want to see. If that's true, then yes, time and energy not devoted to coaching and recruiting would be better spent wooing donors than wooing students. I don't have a problem with him visiting frat houses--previous coaches have done the same. But if we really are in dire straits as regards NIL, as some insist we are, then yes, that should be his primary focus (after coaching and recruiting).

This will be the winningest OU basketball team since Buddy left almost a decade ago.
I understand what you're saying, but this needs to be taken with a grain of salt/context. 8 of our non-con wins were against corpses. Another 3 non-con wins were against teams that either vastly underachieved or ended up being rotten (Iowa, USC, and Arkie). 3 more wins came against the two worst teams in our conference (WV, and osux2). I'm glad we've won 19 games, but in reality, we've only beaten 5 teams with an actual pulse this year....ISU (great win) and @KSU, @Cincy, BYU (really good wins) and Providence (good win). Having said that, I'm encouraged that we are in a position to make the tournament, but we can all see our flaws....which a few are significant.

I do think our trajectory is moving in the right direction, but the ascent has been far from linear.....lots of ups and downs. I'm far from sold on Moser, but with every win I do feel slightly better. I still think he has a ways to go before he convinces some fans that he is the guy to take us to the next level.

He is a great OC and a mediocre HC.

He is a great OC and a mediocre HC.
I don't disagree for the most part, although I think maybe you have to be a little better than mediocre to make it to numerous four-team playoffs and also win a handful of conference titles. My bigger worry is that, so far, Brent hasn't even shown he can be mediocre. Recruiting is very important, but at some point, you need to also show you are a good in-game coach.

It has been suggested that our purportedly limited NIL is the greatest impediment to men's hoops at OU reaching the level of success we all want to see. If that's true, then yes, time and energy not devoted to coaching and recruiting would be better spent wooing donors than wooing students. I don't have a problem with him visiting frat houses--previous coaches have done the same. But if we really are in dire straits as regards NIL, as some insist we are, then yes, that should be his primary focus (after coaching and recruiting).
and how do you know it isn't?

I don't disagree for the most part, although I think maybe you have to be a little better than mediocre to make it to numerous four-team playoffs and also win a handful of conference titles. My bigger worry is that, so far, Brent hasn't even shown he can be mediocre. Recruiting is very important, but at some point, you need to also show you are a good in-game coach.
once again, put Baker, Kyler, or CW on OU's team last year and we are in the playoff.
A playoff birth and not even making the conference championship is a very fine line.
Brent's second team was a much better team than LR's teams. Immensely better defensively and not a huge drop off offensively.

and how do you know it isn't?
I addressed that in a previous post. I don't claim to know. But he talks frequently about other activities, like the frat house visits. It would be unlike him not to be touting on how hard he's working on donor outreach.

once again, put Baker, Kyler, or CW on OU's team last year and we are in the playoff.
A playoff birth and not even making the conference championship is a very fine line.
Brent's second team was a much better team than LR's teams. Immensely better defensively and not a huge drop off offensively.
I think DG is way down the list of reasons we didn't make the playoffs. He was easily a top 10 QB in the country last season.

Back