OU vs #19 BYU 7pm CST on ESPN+ 2 Dollar Concessions (Popcorn Beer Soda)

I’m so confused o these hits to the face. I thought it didn’t matter if it was intentional. And the reasoning that a foul wasn’t called so there could t be a flagrant?
I think incidental contact simply isn’t a foul of any kind, which is more or less what the ref said into the mic. I think it makes sense that there has to be some intent. The way I always think about it is this: if I’m standing behind you and you simply turn around to run back on defense and in turning around you catch me with an elbow to the chops, that’s not a foul. You didn’t even know I was there, let alone do anything illegal. Sometimes, it’s just bad luck that someone gets hit, not a foul.

Now, I totally agree that it’s confusing as hell because of how inconsistently they call it. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

I think incidental contact simply isn’t a foul of any kind, which is more or less what the ref said into the mic. I think it makes sense that there has to be some intent. The way I always think about it is this: if I’m standing behind you and you simply turn around to run back on defense and in turning around you catch me with an elbow to the chops, that’s not a foul. You didn’t even know I was there, let alone do anything illegal. Sometimes, it’s just bad luck that someone gets hit, not a foul.

Now, I totally agree that it’s confusing as hell because of how inconsistently they call it. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.
I’m pretty sure recently it was a rule that intent did not matter

And your scenario is definitely a foul. If you impede another’s progress, intentional or not, it’s a foul

Ou guys said intent didn’t matter but I’m guessing since no foul was originally called they can’t go back.. at least that’s what the ref said

I’m so confused o these hits to the face. I thought it didn’t matter if it was intentional. And the reasoning that a foul wasn’t called so there could t be a flagrant?
I'm frankly fed up with the inconsistency on the flagrant calls and traveling calls when a player falls. I know it sounds silly and paranoid, but honestly, it feels like OU never comes out ahead on those two calls (or non-calls). But our luck aside, they should be called consistently. If that fact that no foul was called mattered, which is what the official said, they never would have reviewed it in the first place.

The rules reportedly state--and officials have repeatedly said (including before tonight's game--Toby said he asked one of the officials to clarify that rule before tipoff)--that intent doesn't matter. I can recall T-Groves getting whistled more than once on plays very much like the one tonight.

The rules reportedly state--and officials have repeatedly said (including before tonight's game--Toby said he asked one of the officials to clarify that rule before tipoff)--that intent doesn't matter. I can recall T-Groves getting whistled more than once on plays very much like the one tonight.
I remember Longar Longar knocking that Tech kid out on a similar play. Sent Bobby Knight into a rage.

At one point maybe a decade ago I remember a big push for player safety that ANY contact to the head was a flagrant. I think that was pulled back some.

Now it is a flagrant 1 if it’s unnecessary. And a flagrant t 2 if it’s unnecessary and excessive

Intent is nowhere to be found

Last edited:
One of the biggest in game adjustments I noticed was OU switching JMac off the PG on D and having Moore, Soares, and Oweh pick up the primary ball handler. Once we made that adjustment the PnR defense got immensely better and the rest of the gameplan to take away the three ball became much more effective.

For all the knocks against Moser - some definitely deserved - he coaches the hell out of some team defense. If we could just get a little more movement on O and a few of the right guys to heat up a bit this team is certainly capable of making it to the second weekend. Either way, big win tonight. BOOMER!!

Idk if anyone listened to post game at the very end.

Kevin Henry goes to the locker room.
Interviews Waldo.

The guy is in tears. Says they don’t care about stats. Only 8 games guaranteed left. Better make the most of it.

Pure honest emotion.

On the f1/f2 foul… I think the conf realized how stupid they look for handing KU the game vs tcu and realized. We are actually idiots.

On the f1/f2 foul… I think the conf realized how stupid they look for handing KU the game vs tcu and realized. We are actually idiots.

And now we get short end of the stick twice. If u call it a certain way, keep it consistent. Zebras suck

Back